Kicking

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
...the method used is to measure from the center of the ob to the diamond line and double it. From that point to the cue ball is the aiming line.

I don't follow this - can you expand a little? How do you find the "center of the diamond line"?

I think your confusion is of a mis-quote nature or mis-read nature! I never said; "center of the diamond line"! I said; "center of the ob".

I hope this clears this up for you! Whitey
Sorry for the misquote, but I don't get what "measure from the center of the ob to the diamond line and double it" means. Measure to where on the diamond line? Double what?

pj
chgo

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Sorry for the misquote, but I don't get what "measure from the center of the ob to the diamond line and double it" means. Measure to where on the diamond line? Double what?

pj
chgo

I'm not sure, PJ, but the many times I saw SVB use the stick measure double system, it was like here.. You see the exact spot on the one ball where it needs to be contacted to go in the pocket, then measure over to the rail, then double that distance on over and shoot a line from there to see where to shoot jojo into the rail to make it.. So use running English and follow the dashed line and it should go..I think my line into the rail is crooked..Fukk. I'm not going back.. You get it..

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I'm not sure, PJ, but the many times I saw SVB use the stick measure double system, it was like here.. You see the exact spot on the one ball where it needs to be contacted to go in the pocket, then measure over to the rail, then double that distance on over and shoot a line from there to see where to shoot jojo into the rail to make it.. So use running English and follow the dashed line and it should go..I think my line into the rail is crooked..Fukk. I'm not going back.. You get it..
Doh! Of course that's it - don't know why it didn't dawn on me.

Thanks, Jimmy! Sorry for the confusion, Whitey!

pj
chgo

Grinder797

I came up with something similar to PJ's post, years ago. Draw a line through ghost ball, at contact point, to the rail. This would be where my GREY line would start, but I use my cue. With my tip at that point on the rail, I get equal distances, balls to cue. That is my angle. I step over to the cue ball and have my point on the rail

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Kind of an edumacated guesstimate...

One way is to hold your cue so it passes over the CB and pivot it (at the CB) until it points to the rail contact point that appears to be halfway between the OB and the "ghost" CB.

More automatic: measure the OB's off-table mirror image (using your stick) and sight from there back through the rail toward the CB to find the rail contact point - same result; no estimating.

pj
chgo
That's what I thought, PJ. But I didn't want to be misunderstanding anything...:)

~Doc

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
After speaking with Larry this afternoon I realized that my last post was not well defined. I should not have called the double-distance spot a spot on the wall, which, of course, would be farther away but on the same line. Either one could could be used to locate the contact point on the cushion. And thanks to Jimmy B for the diagram.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I would like some more clarity on what is a foul when measuring a shot. When picking up a piece of chalk to measure a kick become a foul. Would picking up a piece of chalk be a foul? At what point does measuring become a foul? The description in the first few replies makes it seem almost anything could be construed as a foul. What about it Whitey or Doc?:heh
As far as kicking, I find that counting the diamonds gives me direction and looking at the other side gives me a measurement. Mostly feel for me from repetition.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I would like some more clarity on what is a foul when measuring a shot. When picking up a piece of chalk to measure a kick become a foul. Would picking up a piece of chalk be a foul? At what point does measuring become a foul? The description in the first few replies makes it seem almost anything could be construed as a foul. What about it Whitey or Doc?:heh
As far as kicking, I find that counting the diamonds gives me direction and looking at the other side gives me a measurement. Mostly feel for me from repetition.
If you go to post #15 you'll see I did some research on your question. BCAPL/CSI - DCC allows the hand or cue stick to be used to measure, and WPA has no ruling at all so it also allows. But, you can not use something to measure gaps to see if a ball will pass thru.

Marking the table with chalk is an automatic foul, no need to shoot for you already committed a foul in BCAPL/CSI -DCC. WPA it is unsportsmanlike conduct - penalty most likely a foul. WPA does not allow the stick to be laid upon the table to sight a shot when the hand is no longer touching it.

Interesting, for when looking for these rulings, I notice WPA does have a shot clock ruling. It is 30 sec. to shoot w/ 5 sec. warning. And here we have had numerous discussions about a shot clock, and it is already in WPA rules that govern our play.
Take Care Buddy, Hope your getting along Better!
For measuring, just take a shaft and mark off the inches on it, fits right in the case anyway! Pool is not the same! LOL!!! Whitey

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
here is how i use spot on the wall for kicking
i hope my explanation is clear
if not pm me with questions
i find a spot on the table that is parallel to the ball i want to kick at
and at a distance that is easy to divide by 2
in this case the spot on the table is near the side pocket and the balls are 4 diamonds apart
divide by 2 equals 2 ,,,,so if the Q ball was where my imaginary spot was i would aim 2 diamond over to kick at my target ball.
i hope everyone is with me so far.
if i extend that line to a "spot on the wall " thats my aim point for the cue ball wherever it lies (lays?)
spot on wall kicking diagram 2.jpg

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If you go to post #15 you'll see I did some research on your question. BCAPL/CSI - DCC allows the hand or cue stick to be used to measure, and WPA has no ruling at all so it also allows. But, you can not use something to measure gaps to see if a ball will pass thru.

Marking the table with chalk is an automatic foul, no need to shoot for you already committed a foul in BCAPL/CSI -DCC. WPA it is unsportsmanlike conduct - penalty most likely a foul. WPA does not allow the stick to be laid upon the table to sight a shot when the hand is no longer touching it.

Interesting, for when looking for these rulings, I notice WPA does have a shot clock ruling. It is 30 sec. to shoot w/ 5 sec. warning. And here we have had numerous discussions about a shot clock, and it is already in WPA rules that govern our play.
Take Care Buddy, Hope your getting along Better!
For measuring, just take a shaft and mark off the inches on it, fits right in the case anyway! Pool is not the same! LOL!!! Whitey
when using the cue stick you have to keep your hand on it
you cant lay it on the table

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Whitey, thanks for the response. I have seen guys use the tip of their stick to mark points. Foul? I always come behind them and wipe the table with my hand. Hopedully you’ll be at another tournament and we can talk about this in person. I would like to see the MOT’s embrace some of the more advancing calls for foul. Like putting your hand in de pocket.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, thanks for the response. I have seen guys use the tip of their stick to mark points. Foul? I always come behind them and wipe the table with my hand. Hopedully you’ll be at another tournament and we can talk about this in person. I would like to see the MOT’s embrace some of the more advancing calls for foul. Like putting your hand in de pocket.
I understand! Just think, OP used to played; 'all ball fouls', a clean game of pool! If you touched a ball it was a foul. I do not recall ever touching another ball when I was playing for real, way back when. It did not happen.

I got a nice pocket measuring tape or better yet I have a real nice 2 foot wooden rule I am bringing out for determining mirror image! LOL, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
when using the cue stick you have to keep your hand on it
you cant lay it on the table
Larry, here is the written rule:

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table;
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

This happened in our last MOT Championship match. But ruled not a foul.

You can always lay your cue stick on the table without your hand on it, to attend to other business, just not allowed when aligning up a shot! Whitey

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, here is the written rule:

6.12 Cue Stick on the Table;
If the shooter uses his cue stick in order to align a shot by placing it on the table without having a hand on the stick, it is a foul.

This happened in our last MOT Championship match. But ruled not a foul.

You can always lay your cue stick on the table without your hand on it, to attend to other business, just not allowed when aligning up a shot! Whitey
thanks for posting the official wording and rule number