Analyze this spot

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
And it's always good to see you brother Mitch...I wish we played at the same poolroom - we'd play each other every week for sure, and have a great time.

Well, I'm no Archimedes..but...for those who said that 9-8 is not a full ball spot..ok, agreed, we all know that..but if that's the case, in going forward with that line of reasoning/computing - then 10-8 is not a full 2 balls of spot...:eek:..:heh...:cool:

Uuh, brother Darryl...don't forget, reading clearly is always important = in my original post I didn't say I was a ball better than my opponent - I said I was approx. a ball better than my opponent...:heh

- Ghost

Well, first and most important, bro Bruce, I figure if you're admitting to being approx. a ball better, you must be approx. 2 balls better, and he's in big trouble before we consider anything else.:heh:heh

My best advice for you is get him to "faareeze" up a bunch. BTW, can I get half?:D

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I think I like 10 8 because I don't feel like running an extra ball is any kinda of big deal so psychologically it feels like 10 8 and 9 8 are the same but even feels way better even on there break .

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
For me(shooter) I would go 10-8 and even.

For the Ghost(mover) I would prefer 9-8 on both.

My thinking is the shooter is at great risk to put together larger runs and can negate the 2 ball defecate. The mover will stifall the shooter and probably doesn't score in bunches and wants fewer balls to get to the win.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
9/8 all day long for the same reason you would, and nobody has mentioned yet unless I missed it.
I don't want them to know I can beat them with 10/8 until 2050.
If they do, that's what they will want next time and more!
Plus in my old age, not having to keep track of the spot, like someone said, is worth something in my favor also .

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Analyze this spot

9/8 all day long for the same reason you would, and nobody has mentioned yet unless I missed it.

I don't want them to know I can beat them with 10/8 until 2050.

If they do, that's what they will want next time and more!

Plus in my old age, not having to keep track of the spot, like someone said, is worth something in my favor also .

Billy I always enjoy your logical posts. This is the first reason I have to change my mind from the 10/8-even game. Thank you for that.

OldSchool

Verified Member
I didn't know there was any guess to this, boy was I wrong.:p

Rodney, would you mind telling me what your post means.

Old School

Kicking the back of the stack (not much can go wrong) and it's a shot I like to execute. Besides Bruce would hate it which gives me all the more reason to do it.

Ah yes The Ghost...Pissing him off is worth my airfare to get there.

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
so ghost whats your thoughts on the spots??

If I am looking for the edge, I would take the 10 8 and no spot.

no question 10-8 and even

Larry, I'm with Dan and catkins here...I prefer the 10-8 and even...part of my reason why is...

We play at Chris's, on Diamond tables with pretty new and fast cloth, and with newish clean balls...and being as how it's winter, in dry air. All of that being the case, the balls break out good on the break - quite often with several balls ending up in the area of the breakers pocket...

So with me completing a strong/tough to respond to break like that the majority of the time, I feel that I can afford to give up that 10-8 on my breaks....and then on his break, with him also coming up with a strong break the majority of the time, I'd rather be playing him even on his breaks, then giving him that 9-8.

- Ghost

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
larry, i'm with dan and catkins here...i prefer the 10-8 and even...part of my reason why is...

We play at chris's, on diamond tables with pretty new and fast cloth, and with newish clean balls...and being as how it's winter, in dry air. All of that being the case, the balls break out good on the break - quite often with several balls ending up in the area of the breakers pocket...

So with me completing a strong/tough to respond to break like that the majority of the time, i feel that i can afford to give up that 10-8 on my breaks....and then on his break, with him also coming up with a strong break the majority of the time, i'd rather be playing him even on his breaks, then giving him that 9-8.

- ghost

thanks alot for the analysis ghost
hope you keep winning....:):)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Larry, I'm with Dan and catkins here...I prefer the 10-8 and even...part of my reason why is...

We play at Chris's, on Diamond tables with pretty new and fast cloth, and with newish clean balls...and being as how it's winter, in dry air. All of that being the case, the balls break out good on the break - quite often with several balls ending up in the area of the breakers pocket...

So with me completing a strong/tough to respond to break like that the majority of the time, I feel that I can afford to give up that 10-8 on my breaks....and then on his break, with him also coming up with a strong break the majority of the time, I'd rather be playing him even on his breaks, then giving him that 9-8.

- Ghost

Ghostie, we already know you're smarter than a witch doctor, so I'm not surprised to think your choice is unchallengable with those table conditions.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I think the answer to this question involves finding out through stats the percentage of games of players around this skill level go to hill hill (7-7) vs the percentage of games won by two balls. Then you would know the % of games won by more than two balls as well.

After you have that info, the numbers would sing the answer to you.

Let's just throw out some numbers and say 4% of games are won by one ball, and 6% won by two balls.... I think you could play with those numbers under both scenarios/spots, and get your answer.

I bet if you did that the answer would be they would come out almost equal, or very closely favor one side. In other words, concentrating on playing well is probably about 100 times more important.