Analyze this spot

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I'm playing and spotting a player that plays approx. 1 ball under me...

I have a choice of spotting him 9-8 every game, or, spotting him 10-8 on my break, and playing him even on his break...

Which game do you think is a better choice for me, or do you think the choices
are equal?

Mathematically, over the course of two games the spots are equal, but...

- Ghost

Well like a lot of youse guys also chose, Steve decided to bank the 3, but differently...instead of heading toward the 8, he loaded up with inside english so as to leave me tough on the one ball if he missed...he banked it a little short and it ended up like this >>>

Well, I liked the bank on the 12 a lot and almost shot it..but my sadistic side which is always wanting to trap and torture my opponent, spotted that simple but deadly soft roll of the 13 ball, and overruled my banking of the 12...so here's the jail cell where Pat, denied bail, now sits.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
If I am looking for the edge, I would take 10 8 and no spot.
Not really for the ball count aspect but strictly for the mental edge.
I want it in his head that he is playing me even on his breaks.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
If I am looking for the edge, I would take 10 8 and no spot.
Not really for the ball count aspect but strictly for the mental edge.
I want it in his head that he is playing me even on his breaks.

The mental aspects may be strong with some players, but if I were betting on Ghost, with his style, and skills, and frame of mind, I'd rather he just gave up the break, and I bet the guy would jump on it.

Last edited:

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois

I have a choice of spotting him 9-8 every game, or, spotting him 10-8 on my break, and playing him even on his break...

are equal?

- Ghost

If I had the choice as the player giving the spot, I would choose 10-8 on my break and playing even on his break.

However, there are two variables that should strongly be considered. First, who has the better break. If my break is weak, and his break is strong, I would choose 9-8. Yet if my break is strong, and his break is weak, I would definitely choose 10-8 on my break and playing even on his break.

Second, who is more efficient in neutralizing a solid break. If I am weak in neutralizing a solid break, and he is strong at neutralizing a solid break, then I would choose 9-8.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
9/8 all the way...if you are a ball better than he you already have an edge cause 9/8 ain't a ball.:rolleyes:

You know enough to get outta his breaks, and when you are breaking you are actually getting some weight from him.:heh:heh

Besides, you can always take two intentionals, force him to do likewise, and 9/8 becomes 11/10 before he knows what happened.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
as mentioned above how good/bad he/you breaks
and good/bad you/ he get out of the break would have to be factored in
if those things are equal and 9/8 is equal or alittle better for you being 1 ball better
then
keeping that spot is an even game with alternate breaks and playing 9/8.
and both of you having an even advantage with breaking
if the break is worth 1-2 balls
then
10/8 is on the low end of the break advantage (1 more ball )
and 8/8 is also on the low end of the break advantage (again 1 ball difference)
but
its harder to get 10 total to me from 9
than going to 8 from 9
so i would think the 9/8 is better
since i dont match up i could be completely off with my assumptions..:eek:
i look forward to learning from the real matcher-uppers in our group....:)
edit
i was writing while mitch and darmoose were posting
looks like there is a difference in opinion among the matcher-uppers
including the prior posters

beatle

Verified Member
To even choices is the same as deciding heads or tails on a coin flip .

I would make the choice on how he would adjust next time

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Switch Gears

Switch Gears

are equal?

- Ghost

I'd let em have all the breaks and play even races to 9, it's not easy to have a perfect break every time. How many times otta ten will he break bad, and how many times outta ten will you have a Great return shot?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
9/8 all the way...if you are a ball better than he you already have an edge cause 9/8 ain't a ball.:rolleyes:

You know enough to get outta his breaks, and when you are breaking you are actually getting some weight from him.:heh:heh

Besides, you can always take two intentionals, force him to do likewise, and 9/8 becomes 11/10 before he knows what happened.
Pretty good reasoning there, Mooster!..:) I'd have to go with your choice. For decent players, 9/8 isn't that much of a spot anyway.

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Bruce....9-8.....if for no other reason than to not loose track of WHAT game your currently playing.....Also.....9-8 is not a full ball.

Incredible.. I was just about to say the same thing and give the same reasoning.. I was also about to mention 11 ball one pocket in the other thread and Doc said it first also...lol.... day late dollar whatever..lol..

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

are equal?

- Ghost

9/8 does not show up as often as 10/8 would, so I would choose 9/8 every game. The difference is minimal unless he has a very strong break.

If I knew which game he liked best, I would choose the other one.:D

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Bruce....9-8.....if for no other reason than to not loose track of WHAT game your currently playing.....Also.....9-8 is not a full ball.

Darmoose =
You know enough to get outta his breaks, and when you are breaking you are actually getting some weight from him.

Darmoose and Red Shoes have it figured out in my opinion. No arguments about game and the least confusion. But, Ghostie is actually, like Darmoose said, is getting spotted when he breaks.:lol

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
That 10/8 spot is a pretty strong spot. I think 8/7 and 9/8 brings the game closer to an even up game. You can also get into 10/9 and 9/8 to bring it even closer.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I would give him 9 to 8 for a couple of reasons. First, it is a tougher game i feel, and i want to outrun the nuts as much as i can. Heck, what else is there to do in a poolroom?

Second, I would probably forget which number i was going to every game going the other way. Why put myself through that anguish?

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
10-8/even. Nice to see you Luke.

And it's always good to see you brother Mitch...I wish we played at the same poolroom - we'd play each other every week for sure, and have a great time.

Well, I'm no Archimedes..but...for those who said that 9-8 is not a full ball spot..ok, agreed, we all know that..but if that's the case, in going forward with that line of reasoning/computing - then 10-8 is not a full 2 balls of spot...:eek:..:heh...:cool:

darmoose;253553 said:

Uuh, brother Darryl...don't forget, reading clearly is always important = in my original post I didn't say I was a ball better than my opponent - I said I was approx. a ball better than my opponent...:heh

- Ghost

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
And it's always good to see you brother Mitch...I wish we played at the same poolroom - we'd play each other every week for sure, and have a great time.

Well, I'm no Archimedes..but...for those who said that 9-8 is not a full ball spot..ok, agreed, we all know that..but if that's the case, in going forward with that line of reasoning/computing - then 10-8 is not a full 2 balls of spot...:eek:..:heh...:cool:

Uuh, brother Darryl...don't forget, reading clearly is always important = in my original post I didn't say I was a ball better than my opponent - I said I was approx. a ball better than my opponent...:heh

- Ghost
so ghost whats your thoughts on the spots??