Scotty Townsend Memorial

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It’s being streamed by Sully? Anybody familiar with his streams?
I want to watch one pocket when it starts but don’t know him.

I've met him. He will be TD. Don't know anything about him streaming anything.

Where did you see he would stream the Scotty? I thought Ray was signed up to do it.

edit: OK, I see you are right. On Ray's site he says:

"PoolActionTV will NOT be covering the Scotty Townsend this year. Jeff Sullivan is taking on the stream this year on Sullyvision.

We would like to wish Jeff Sullivan all the best with the event. We would also like to wish our player and friend Alex Pagulayan a great event!! Go LION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

...but I still don't know anything about "Sullyvision."

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
He streamed the 30 or so player 10 ball ring game for free last night. It was still going at 3 when I went to bed. Stream was flawless on Facebook Sully vision. He also did the PPV Sky vs Shaw 2 weeks ago. I might buy the one pocket. BTW monster field for the one pocket.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
He did a couple of those free matches that looked to be off his phone. There is also a arena table set up that his main stream is on.

J SCHWARZ

Verified Member
Has anyone been sweating this online? I'm wanting to get the ppv for the final day of 1p, just curious how the stream and commentary has been. Thanks

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
The stream is HD quality. Jeff Sullivan is a knowledgeable and very good player,
himself.

He may have visiting expert commentators today.

I recommend the stream. Going by past 3 days.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
alex beats corey in the final
dont have more details
when i went to bed game score was close

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Larry, When you see the last couple of shots, you will not hardly believe the shot choice Alex made to win match 6-5 in games, and 8-4 score of last game.

Cory was making one of his nearly impossible comebacks, which probably prompted Alex to go for a hard kick shot to win match.

If, IF, Alex had hit the shot just a little bad, Cory would have had a very good chance to make it 7-6, possibly 7-7, fighting for match.

In my assessment, Cory played way too wild in first 3 game to give Alex 2-1 lead. After first 5 games, Cory could have easily had a 4-1 lead.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, When you see the last couple of shots, you will not hardly believe the shot choice Alex made to win match 6-5 in games, and 8-4 score of last game.

Cory was making one of his nearly impossible comebacks, which probably prompted Alex to go for a hard kick shot to win match.

If, IF, Alex had hit the shot just a little bad, Cory would have had a very good chance to make it 7-6, possibly 7-7, fighting for match.

In my assessment, Cory played way too wild in first 3 game to give Alex 2-1 lead. After first 5 games, Cory could have easily had a 4-1 lead.
is there a link to watch a replay?

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Scotty Townsend Report

Scotty Townsend Report

I have been to all three One Pocket events at the Scotty Townsend Memorial and these are my observations. Once again, I think the promoter and room owner dogged it by putting the one pocket event at the end of their week long tournament. Most of the fans left after the nine ball and the calcutta buyers mostly left with their nine ball money and did not participate in the calcutta for the one pocket.

The event director is Jeff Sullivan and he and his wife Illeana work very hard to run a smooth operation. This year, they took over the stream as well. The event only had fourteen players, and the owner, Josh Hoff deserves credit for scrambling to put the last two players in so that we would have a decent field. The players for the event were as follows:

1. Alex Pagulayan 8. Joey Gray
2. Tony Chohan 9. John Morra
3. Justin Hall 10. Cliff Joyner
4. Danny Smith 11. Roberto Gomez
5. Corey Deuel 12. Alex Calderon
6. Josh Roberts 13. Jonathon Pinegar
7. Chip Compton 14. Evan Lunda

Alex played his usual flawless one pocket and showed once again that it's him and maybe Dennis and then the rest are playing for second. Corey had a great tournament, coming back from a 3-1 deficit against Josh Roberts to advance and put Roberts out in fourth place. He then took on Chip Compton, who had been playing better than everyone but Alex up until then, but Corey ran through Chip and advanced to the finals. Alex won the flip and broke first. Alex took a quick lead, capitalizing on some over aggressive play from Corey, but then Corey clawed back to make it 5-4 and then 5-5 for the hill hill thriller.

The last game was a great nail biter, with both players happy to move the balls up table and fight for each ball. Corey then shot an ill advised shot, allowing Alex to run 5 balls and get to 7. From there, though, Corey began his comeback, and at one time shot one of his patented two rail billiard shots to threaten to snatch the game. He put Alex in a tough spot, with four balls left on the table, but one completely out of play in the jaws of the up table corner. Sensing that he was losing control of the game, Alex looked at a possible combination take out from Corey's pocket, a kick bank to his pocket which was iffy as the ball was near Corey's hole, or an off the air kick at a ball to win it all. Alex pondered the shot for a while, and then kicked a two ball that was slightly off the rail, sinking the game winner. Had he missed or hit it badly, Corey would have had real life, but Alex said later that he didn't feel like Corey could win there, he didn't have a really good safety and he felt like if he didn't kick the ball in, he would have hung it and that would have prevented Corey from getting to 7 balls. Gutsy shot that I don't think many would have even thought about. In the end, he won with the nerves of a cat burglar.

Some final remarks: Roberto Gomez continues his rise up the ladder and I see him as the next great Filipino one pocket player in 12-18 months. He is already giving established pros fits and he is still learning the end game. I would put him around top 20 right now. His high finish at the Derby was no fluke, as well as a 5/6 last year at Buffalo's. He finished 5/6 in this event and his future is very bright. I would be a buyer on Roberto Gomez stock.

The other player I want to comment on was a new face to one pocket enthusiasts. Alex Calderon is the best player in Houston and he played very well in this tournament. Tony Chohan went down 4-1 and Alex finished 5/6 here and I expect more from this player. He does all things well and is smart. Most importantly he is a game money player and matches up very well. I think this coming out party for him might hurt his action games, but he can hold his own against most players. I put him about 8-7 below the top 15.

Evan Lunda continues his rise. Expect a match against Chip Compton in the near future.

Last edited:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Scotty Townsend Report

Scotty Townsend Report

I have been to all three One Pocket events at the Scotty Townsend Memorial and these are my observations. Once again, I think the promoter and room owner dogged it by putting the one pocket event at the end of their week long tournament. Most of the fans left after the nine ball and the calcutta buyers mostly left with their nine ball money and did not participate in the calcutta for the one pocket.

The event director is Jeff Sullivan and he and his wife Illeana work very hard to run a smooth operation. This year, they took over the stream as well. The event only had fourteen players, and the owner, Josh Hoff deserves credit for scrambling to put the last two players in so that we would have a decent field. The players for the event were as follows:

1. Alex Pagulayan 8. Joey Gray
2. Tony Chohan 9. John Morra
3. Justin Hall 10. Cliff Joyner
4. Danny Smith 11. Roberto Gomez
5. Corey Deuel 12. Alex Calderon
6. Josh Roberts 13. Jonathon Pinegar
7. Chip Compton 14. Evan Lunda

Alex played his usual flawless one pocket and showed once again that it's him and maybe Dennis and then the rest are playing for second. Corey had a great tournament, coming back from a 3-1 deficit against Josh Roberts to advance and put Roberts out in fourth place. He then took on Chip Compton, who had been playing better than everyone but Alex up until then, but Corey ran through Chip and advanced to the finals. Alex won the flip and broke first. Alex took a quick lead, capitalizing on some over aggressive play from Corey, but then Corey clawed back to make it 5-4 and then 5-5 for the hill hill thriller.

The last game was a great nail biter, with both players happy to move the balls up table and fight for each ball. Corey then shot an ill advised shot, allowing Alex to run 5 balls and get to 7. From there, though, Corey began his comeback, and at one time shot one of his patented two rail billiard shots to threaten to snatch the game. He put Alex in a tough spot, with four balls left on the table, but one completely out of play in the jaws of the up table corner. Sensing that he was losing control of the game, Alex looked at a possible combination take out from Corey's pocket, a kick bank to his pocket which was iffy as the ball was near Corey's hole, or an off the air kick at a ball to win it all. Alex pondered the shot for a while, and then kicked a two ball that was slightly off the rail, sinking the game winner. Had he missed or hit it badly, Corey would have had real life, but Alex said later that he didn't feel like Corey could win there, he didn't have a really good safety and he felt like if he didn't kick the ball in, he would have hung it and that would have prevented Corey from getting to 7 balls. Gutsy shot that I don't think many would have even thought about. In the end, he won with the nerves of a cat burglar.

Some final remarks: Roberto Gomez continues his rise up the ladder and I see him as the next great Filipino one pocket player in 12-18 months. He is already given established pros fits and he is still learning the end game. I would put him around top 20 right now. His high finish at the Derby was no fluke, as well as a 5/6 last year at Buffalo's. He finished 5/6 in this event and his future is very bright. I would be a buyer on Roberto Gomez stock.

The other player I want to comment on was a new face to one pocket enthusiasts. Alex Calderon is the best player in Houston and he played very well in this tournament. Tony Chohan went down 4-1 and Alex finished 5/6 here and I expect more from this player. He does all things well and is smart. Most importantly he is a game money player and matches up very well. I think this coming out party for him might hurt his action games, but he can hold his own against most players. I put him about 8-7 below the top 15.

Evan Lunda continues his rise. Expect a match against Chip Compton in the near future.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great report as always
sounds like i should have stayed awake to watch the ending....:frus
thanks

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I got to watch last half of the finals and one other match. In general was a good stream though I missed the polished edge of big truck, sounds like he wants to improve so hopping for more great streaming one pocket in the future

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
alex beats corey in the final
dont have more details
when i went to bed game score was close
Corey has come a long way since he played that famous match with Shannon Daulton at the DCC, where Corey, realizing that he couldn't move with Shannon, used the bust 'em break, hitting the second ball hard with draw, calling the pocket on the same side. I'll never forget the look on Shannon's face..:lol Corey said he thought his only hope was to be able to run balls.

~Doc

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
the finals where a great show of some amazing one pocket and the both creativity and patience. both players showed amazing shots and amazing safeties to make an amazing all around match

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the finals where a great show of some amazing one pocket and the both creativity and patience. both players showed amazing shots and amazing safeties to make an amazing all around match

you know its really an unfair advantage to be able to hit the cue ball and the object ball EXACTLY where you want to...:frus.....:D
corey played many carom shots that really required a high degree of confidence in your accuracy
very impressive and a strong weapon to have in your arsenal
jmho