John Schmidt at BullShooters

Jimmy B

Verified Member
They are saying on facebook that he might have made a mistake and swept his coin back to zero after the first rack so his run might be 464...

They must have reviewed the tape, Crab Cat, because I just checked and they now have his personal best and The Bull Shooter record listed as 464.. I missed that run.. Anyway, he's playing...

lfigueroa

Verified Member
In the category of impressive, most of the 14.1 players that I've spoken to about this say, unquestionably, Mosconi coming off the road and walking into the pool room, probably taking two or three warm up racks on a table he was unfamiliar with and then running 526 is what's impressive.

IOWs, he did not set up a table specifically for the purpose of getting a high run and go at it over and over and over.

Lou Figueroa

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
In the category of impressive, most of the 14.1 players that I've spoken to about this say, unquestionably, Mosconi coming off the road and walking into the pool room, probably taking two or three warm up racks on a table he was unfamiliar with and then running 526 is what's impressive.

IOWs, he did not set up a table specifically for the purpose of getting a high run and go at it over and over and over.

Lou Figueroa
So far he is the only one doing it in front of witnesses on video. I've never seen another player that has hit over 400 on video or live for 1000's to view and i think thats pretty impressive in itself.. Not only that but its being broadcast for free.. Its a win win for us pool fans and a real treat to watch. Must be getting to be a real grind for him..

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

Lou Figueroa

I agree -- to a point -- but you cannot overlook that Willie did those exhibitions day in, day out over a long career. He was a child prodigy in fact. And all he played (well by massive preponderance) was straight pool. And of course he was a monster of prodigious talent!!

The thing for me is, with Willie's record it is tough to overlook that it was on a 4x8 table with "large" pockets -- in other words, a table that did not meet professional pool standards at the time. Who is not to say that the very reason he continued that particular night to see how far he could go, was exactly because the table was playing so generously?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Lou Figueroa

Sounds like sour grapes. Let’s put John on a 4X8 with bucket pockets and see how he does. I think it’s great John has put himself out there in front of everyone.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I agree -- to a point -- but you cannot overlook that Willie did those exhibitions day in, day out over a long career. He was a child prodigy in fact. And all he played (well by massive preponderance) was straight pool. And of course he was a monster of prodigious talent!!

The thing for me is, with Willie's record it is tough to overlook that it was on a 4x8 table with "large" pockets -- in other words, a table that did not meet professional pool standards at the time. Who is not to say that the very reason he continued that particular night to see how far he could go, was exactly because the table was playing so generously?

I look at this accomplishement/feat.... from a players perspective, and from the mindset of one of the great games, bar table 8 ball....the proper congestion. It's been proven, in Vegas, Reno pro 8 ball event, that 8 ball on a bigger table is waaaaaaaaay easier to run packages than on a Box. Congestion....because of the reality of the table size that this feat is being played on.... I think the run on an eight footer is tougher than a nine footer. Willie tho was a master at taking apart the rack. Think of how good of a one pocket player he might of been.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Yes, he did exhibitions 300 days of the year.

But when a match was over and/or he had run 100, he put down his cue and started setting up the first of a dozen or so trick shots. If he had continued each of the thousands of times he ran 100 who knows what the record might be now and even then it would have been a one shot proposition each night.

The reason he continued that night was two-fold: first, he said he wanted to make a nice run for the owner, whom he considered a friend. Second, the fifty or so spectators urged him to keep going.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I look at this accomplishement/feat.... from a players perspective, and from the mindset of one of the great games, bar table 8 ball....the proper congestion. It's been proven, in Vegas, Reno pro 8 ball event, that 8 ball on a bigger table is waaaaaaaaay easier to run packages than on a Box. Congestion....because of the reality of the table size that this feat is being played on.... I think the run on an eight footer is tougher than a nine footer. Willie tho was a master at taking apart the rack. Think of how good of a one pocket player he might of been.

I agree.

However, JS has said it's easier on an 8' and I believe he intents to make another go at it again on an 8' this summer.

Lou Figueroa

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This is astounding - what John is doing! I don't think I could hit my chin with my thumb 450 times without a miss. :rolleyes:

He's a driven individual. He did win the US Open early 90's. He's not your Normal player, he's got game that's for sure. Nothing seems to intimidate him, a quality that many good players do NOT have. I see him doing well this year in Mandalay, possibly getting to the final 16, tho I would bet against it. What a field!!!!

youngstown

Verified Member

It’s always interesting comparing greats from different eras. Just the fact that we’re making these comparisons is fun and exciting to me. I hope he gets there. I am too young to know much about Willie and to busy to know much about John, so I don’t have a dog in this fight, but I’d like to see him be called Mr 600 instead of Mr 400.

beatle

Verified Member
they both play here on totally different conditions and scenario. so not really a true comparison. except for the number that gets broken.

in either case both are great accomplishments for the record books.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This is astounding - what John is doing! I don't think I could hit my chin with my thumb 450 times without a miss. :rolleyes:
I agree, it's astonishing. That's 30 racks without a miss!! There's no question that a guy truly has to be in the zone to keep up the concentration that long. And the pressure tends to build the further one goes.

~Doc

frmn

Verified Member
Yesterday April 17 was Jon's last day. He had 3 more runs over 100 with the highest being 172. His totals for 22 days of play averaging 6 hours a day: 132 hours 75 runs over 100 over 200 14 over 300 6 over 400 1 with the high being 464. He averaged approximately 1100 to 1200 balls a day, and he gave maximum effort whether the run was 14 balls or 400. He made the last 4 weeks at BullShooters very exciting. Good luck to John next week at the US Open 9ball.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I wish I could of see John's run of 464 'live', for the heightened anticipation of surpassing the record 526 most of been something. That was quite a day John had.
Very exciting, thanks for the stream. I really enjoyed it! Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I have to wonder how Mosconi himself felt about his record. Being a staunch purist towards the championship game of 14.1, and that meant playing either on a 5x10 or a 4-1/2x9 then just how proud was he of his record on a 4x8. I know it was the only Brunswick table available, and therefore he had to do his exhibition on it. But, just how did his peers react to Mosconi and his record. My conjecture is that Mosconi probably would wish it went away, because he probably thought it was no big deal. Ursetti probably has accounts of it, unless Mosconi had to keep a tight lip about how he actually felt about his run.

But, being backed by BCA and Brunswick probably made it harder on Mosconi for now there are TV bookings that inevitably brought up the record 526. The '54 era, a low for pool and it's image, and here is this beaming light, Mosconi, on national TV doing shots and showing viewers how to run balls, and explaining his 526 run.

Well, I hope these gigs are going well for John, and he is getting the sponsors and bucks to get by. I wonder what happens when he breaks the record, and then could he demand more from sponsors and get more sponsors, and then what happens to the gigs! Does he go after another record, like on a 5x10.

I will say this about Mosconi and being on a 4x8, if the rails were up to snuff then they would of reacted well, for the cushions of that area were very good, and did not necessarily let a poorly hit ball into the pocket.

I only wish there were good videos of Mosconi doing a run of 125 or so, but I can not find any, unfortunate indeed! Whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I watched a little of the wrap up and John spoke to the viewers. He and the room seemed to feel it was a great success even though he did not break the 526. It sounds like there might be an encore coming.

But for now, he is on to Vegas for the US Open 9-ball -- the first one since Matchroom Sports bought that event from the Behrman family. I believe John is a prior winner (I could be wrong).

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Here was Johns Facebook post as he wrapped up: Sharing as he is public about all of this.

Well our time at Bull shooters is over I must say my wife Felicity and I were treated so amazingly by Mike and Julie Bates the owners And Tres Kane.
Felicity and I made a ton of new friends and it just was a wonderful experience playing for the crowd and chatting with them .
inspiring them to play and improve I would say all in all this was a complete homerun for me ,the customers at Bull shooters and hopefully I did some good for Pool .
I’m going to rest now for three days because I can barely walk .
I’d like to thank my pal and racker Doug Desmond and his wife Cicilia for facilitating this trip and for Mike urbanski for doing a live stream .lou sardo and his sweet wife Jeannie ,
fCraig Herman for doing a great job on the table and especially my sponsor Easystreet billiardsin Monterey California without them I would not of been able to be here to do this and thank you to predator cues for a great equipment.
I’d especially like to thank all the viewers that tune In and get on Facebook and write me private messages I’ve never seen so much positive support, complements,respect and nice words about me it was quite a nice change .
This whole event I thought went brilliantly for all parties involved and it’s something I would love to do again in the near future

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I have to wonder how Mosconi himself felt about his record. Being a staunch purist towards the championship game of 14.1, and that meant playing either on a 5x10 or a 4-1/2x9 then just how proud was he of his record on a 4x8. I know it was the only Brunswick table available, and therefore he had to do his exhibition on it. But, just how did his peers react to Mosconi and his record. My conjecture is that Mosconi probably would wish it went away, because he probably thought it was no big deal. Ursetti probably has accounts of it, unless Mosconi had to keep a tight lip about how he actually felt about his run.

But, being backed by BCA and Brunswick probably made it harder on Mosconi for now there are TV bookings that inevitably brought up the record 526. The '54 era, a low for pool and it's image, and here is this beaming light, Mosconi, on national TV doing shots and showing viewers how to run balls, and explaining his 526 run.

Well, I hope these gigs are going well for John, and he is getting the sponsors and bucks to get by. I wonder what happens when he breaks the record, and then could he demand more from sponsors and get more sponsors, and then what happens to the gigs! Does he go after another record, like on a 5x10.

I will say this about Mosconi and being on a 4x8, if the rails were up to snuff then they would of reacted well, for the cushions of that area were very good, and did not necessarily let a poorly hit ball into the pocket.

I only wish there were good videos of Mosconi doing a run of 125 or so, but I can not find any, unfortunate indeed! Whitey

From everything I’ve read I believe Mosconi was very proud of the record, regardless of the table size.

I think he was also proud of the 365 on a 9’ though I may have that exact number wrong. My recollection is that he ran 309 somewhere thinking he had broken Crane’s record but had actually tied it. Later he went on to run the higher number.

Lou Figueroa

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Following up on MKbtank's post, I learned a measured of things in watching John. He uses a lot of reverse english in shooting in his key ball and coming around off the foot rail for the break ball, he uses a lot of outside (natural) english when backing cutting and sending an ob down the long rail to the hole, and cleaning the balls and especially the cb, sure does help him out a lot. For when he is not quite right on a little back cut into the corner and it is a little to much of a cut then the draw on the cue ball still bites well, and he can still get in line and out of trouble.
I seen the cb do some wild stuff like it is silicone. Our local pool hall cleans their balls pretty regularly and man does the cue ball ever react until that cleaning stuff wears off, but apparently if you can learn to control it, it sure is a help! Whitey