John Schmidt at BullShooters

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Following up on MKbtank's post, I learned a measured of things in watching John. He uses a lot of reverse english in shooting in his key ball and coming around off the foot rail for the break ball, he uses a lot of outside (natural) english when backing cutting and sending an ob down the long rail to the hole, and cleaning the balls and especially the cb, sure does help him out a lot. For when he is not quite right on a little back cut into the corner and it is a little to much of a cut then the draw on the cue ball still bites well, and he can still get in line and out of trouble.
I seen the cb do some wild stuff like it is silicone. Our local pool hall cleans their balls pretty regularly and man does the cue ball ever react until that cleaning stuff wears off, but apparently if you can learn to control it, it sure is a help! Whitey
I'm a believer that the 12.4 Revo shaft hes using can really spin the
heck out of the cue ball

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
heck out of the cue ball
I believe we have some members that now have these types of shafts that could add some info. on this subject. I am not familiar with them.

But I am familiar with cleaning the balls, and the wild reactions I witnessed is consistent with that, no shaft could ever create that! John sent the cb into the side rail on an about 45 degrees going towards the foot cushion, and the cb come off the cushion and came back on an angle of 20 degrees back towards the head cushion. It never went forward after it contacted the side cushion. Not possible. I hope others seen this! Completely wild. Mr3cushion told me when I seen something impossible on a 3 cushion billiard shot, it is because of silicone.

Also, for me a softer tip will add considerably more side spin. But, not necessarily more draw when your tip gets below a certain degree of softness, just to soft.

John needs a lot of side spin for his shape is not pin point, say like a Greenleaf's would be, so I would bet he is using a med-soft or soft tip. I believe Predator now makes a tip, but it is gold in color. Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I believe we have some members that now have these types of shafts that could add some info. on this subject. I am not familiar with them.

But I am familiar with cleaning the balls, and the wild reactions I witnessed is consistent with that, no shaft could ever create that! John sent the cb into the side rail on an about 45 degrees going towards the foot cushion, and the cb come off the cushion and came back on an angle of 20 degrees back towards the head cushion. It never went forward after it contacted the side cushion. Not possible. I hope others seen this! Completely wild. Mr3cushion told me when I seen something impossible on a 3 cushion billiard shot, it is because of silicone.

Also, for me a softer tip will add considerably more side spin. But, not necessarily more draw when your tip gets below a certain degree of softness, just to soft.

John needs a lot of side spin for his shape is not pin point, say like a Greenleaf's would be, so I would bet he is using a med-soft or soft tip. I believe Predator now makes a tip, but it is gold in color. Whitey
He was playing with a soft predator victory tip

beatle

Verified Member
almost all the cleaners and ball polishers have silicone in them. how do you think all these players with no strokes can draw their ball so much and make runouts being weak players. nowadays with polishing you can get the cueball anywhere around the table with little work.
and the flat fast cloth with no nap adds to that as well.

youngstown

Verified Member
John Schmidt at BullShooters

heck out of the cue ball

I’m a believer that he avoids using spins as much as possible and could run 100 with a broomstick.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I’m a believer that he avoids using spins as much as possible and could run 100 with a broomstick.

Agreed as to the broomstick, but he spins the hell out of the ball on many shots where I can't see the clear benefit. Like break shots...he puts extreme spin on almost every time, I guess to help ensure separation of cue ball from the stack. If you look at the cue ball after the break, you can see it spinning and he has to wait until it stops. Another example is when he scratched on the break shot a few weeks ago...there was so much spin that the cue ball seemed to masse itself into the corner pocket.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I thought silicone was used because it allowed the balls to slide more in exhibition settings. What you are describing involves extra grip on the cushion, not slide, so I do not see how silicone would help!

He also had a disastrous skid to end a fantastic run, coming on the simplest of shots. I would not think a skid is consistent at all with silicone use. I don't know what is in cleaners -- but it seems like the stuff is mainly a mild, ultra fine buffing compound, with a very slight abrasive effect that is what cleans the balls. Maybe some of the cleaners add a little silicone to get a higher polish??

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
BTW I found doing a google search a pertinent post from John himself on AZ:

again royce good point, balls brand new out of box will not need polishing.

but after a week they need it.the wpa i think knows that but are talking tourney play with brand new balls.
the thing i dont understand is how many different ways people are trying to clean the balls.

forget everthing else and use aramith polish,it has the micro abrasive to get the scratches out and probably a tiny bit of wax which makes them play great just long enough for a couple tourney matches anyway.

i wouldnt be worried about wearing the balls out either by polishing them.
i mean hell people will go through 12 golf balls in a round that cost 50 dollars
but want to find a way to have pool balls last 10 years .

you have to give a little if you want to polish them which makes them play great.they might only last 3-5 years but so what.

so if we have to buy a new set of ball every 2 years to have great playing conditions so be it.

in closing take it from someone whos tried everything to make the balls play right ,just use aramith polish it is perfect.
Even though this post was from 2009, it is quite possible he still likes the stuff. He mentions wax -- you think there is silicone in there too??

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I thought silicone was used because it allowed the balls to slide more in exhibition settings. What you are describing involves extra grip on the cushion, not slide, so I do not see how silicone would help!

He also had a disastrous skid to end a fantastic run, coming on the simplest of shots. I would not think a skid is consistent at all with silicone use. I don't know what is in cleaners -- but it seems like the stuff is mainly a mild, ultra fine buffing compound, with a very slight abrasive effect that is what cleans the balls. Maybe some of the cleaners add a little silicone to get a higher polish??
Your right Steve, Silicone would make the cb slide upon the cushion, and the shot I depicted sure did not slide. Did anyone else see that shot? It must of been on day 18 or so.

I cleaned my balls with some 409, then used liquid Turtle Wax, and wiped them dry. I marked two spots on the table which was a simple back cut into the corner. Using draw I got the least with dirty balls, a little more grab and slight angle change with 409, and with waxed balls it drew the cb back on a 15 degree more angle than that of the balls with only 409 applied.

This is what I am talking about when I said the cue ball was gripping the ob more than normal. The pockets excepted the waxed balls a measure better than non wax balls, although the turtle wax did not make them overly skid right into the pocket. But I was well pleased in how the balls were reacting, not so radical as when I use Pledge Furniture Wax. I guess I need to get up to speed on cleaning balls.

Mosconi probably started out with a clean set of balls, but that was probably it, no more cleaning. I believe the effect or a measure of the effect of cleaned balls would of worn off in 6-10 racks or so., a 1/2 hr. -3/4 of an hr., and continued to deteriorate from there on. Mosconi ran 526 in 2hrs & 20 min. So I can see quite an advantage in perpetually cleaning the cue ball, and also the other balls at times throughout the run. Whitey

Last edited: