ball on break rerack question

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
whitey
you should be the rule writer.........:)
only question i would have is what if you made a ball legally in HIS pocket??
re-rack??

Making a ball legally in the opponent's (HIS) pocket has no effect upon the break, no matter what rule you are playing by. "No re-rack"!

The re-rack rule is based upon the breaker racking their own. Racking your own has no effect upon a ball being made in the opponent's pocket, but could be perceived as some how you can manipulate the rack to score a ball in your own pocket. Thus, the alternative rule of re-rack. Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I just got a response from the DCC -TD - Bret Baker, to the question I posed to him.
Question: Your DCC alternative game rule in OP has the breaker re-rack the balls if they score a ball on the break, but what is your ruling if they also scratch?

His reply: If you make a ball and scratch you spot that ball, owe one and opponent has BIH behind the head string. These are specific tournament rules and not part of any official rule set.

He did further say; "Although Izvestra seen some tournaments where they just play that as re-rack and tie break too"!

I thanked him and said; " and that I was hoping that was going to be your response".
Whitey

Last edited:

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Making a ball legally in the opponent's (HIS) pocket has no effect upon the break, no matter what rule you are playing by. "No re-rack"!

The re-rack rule is based upon the breaker racking their own. Racking your own has no effect upon a ball being made in the opponent's pocket. Whitey

So if you're playing rack for your opponent, and then a ball is made in the non-breaker's pocket on the break, does the rule reverse? Rerack? :lol

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
if the rule states that if a ball is made in your pocket on the break or it is a rerack than you would need to right an addendum to the rule to stipulate that on a scratch that rule is voided. thus in my opinion it is hard to argue that it is not a rerack if you make a ball in your pocket regardless of the out come of the cueball. and also there is no way to legally pocket a ball on the break if it s a rerack

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
if the rule states that if a ball is made in your pocket on the break or it is a rerack than you would need to right an addendum to the rule to stipulate that on a scratch that rule is voided. thus in my opinion it is hard to argue that it is not a rerack if you make a ball in your pocket regardless of the out come of the cueball. and also there is no way to legally pocket a ball on the break if it s a rerack

Catkins, I just added a further clarification to my post, coming from a further statement from the DCC-TD. He further stated that they have noticed some tournaments that play a re-rack even if you do scratch. But not at DCC, it is BIH.

There is no official rule concerning this scenario. But tournaments or just matching up can play it as a re-rack or BIH as an alternative rule.

Currently as of last MOT players meeting, we voted to play rack your own and if you score a ball on the break it counts and play continues. Whitey

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I just got a response from the DCC -TD - Bret Baker, to the question I posed to him.
Question: Your DCC alternative game rule in OP has the breaker re-rack the balls if they score a ball on the break, but what is your ruling if they also scratch?

His reply: If you make a ball and scratch you spot that ball, owe one and opponent has BIH behind the head string. These are specific tournament rules and not part of any official rule set.

He did further say; "Although Izvestra seen some tournaments where they just play that as re-rack and tie break too"!

I thanked him and said; " and that I was hoping that was going to be your response".
Whitey

cool, thanks for digging that up!