Tom Wirths newest video

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Three different, rail first tickies, to go into a catchers mitt from positions that can sometimes be challenging.
I have used the concept before , but the last one especially I would not have played that way until I watched the video, only because it seems as though you can't easily get the cueball to go down table and not have a big % of scratches.
Once you practice the shots they seem pretty easy compared to the options .
Whether it be combos into other balls to send both out or drawing off the ball to carom the ball in the pocket in, or a force follow shot.
Thanks Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice little video, Tom! A lot of us don't see those ticky opportunities. You made a good point about the CB hugging the rail when there's not a large gap.

Like Billy J. said-- with a little practice those shots will be in a guy's quiver.

~Doc

BRLongArm

Verified Member
I like it. Tom, those are great little videos. If a picture is worth a thousand words,what is a video worth? Thank you so much and keep them coming.

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Thanks Tom. You alway come up with great stuff. Much appreciated.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
My Pleasure. Anymore, I find working on these odd ball shots more fun than playing matches. I'm glad to share. I'd like to see some of you guys doing the same. I know many of you have some interesting shots up your sleeves. I for one would enjoy seeing them or hearing about them.

Tom

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Now there's some 3C knowledge for you. I really like the first shot to find the stack. If I were to rush myself, I'd play the kick and stick but you've reminded me to slow down and think through all the options.

Thanks, Tom!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Tom!

I see these come up from time to time, but I guess I just need to practice them more because when I try to do shot #3 in a match, I get the tickie but then my CB doesnt hug the rail and make his ball and I end up selling out.

Keep em coming!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Thanks Tom!

I see these come up from time to time, but I guess I just need to practice them more because when I try to do shot #3 in a match, I get the tickie but then my CB doesnt hug the rail and make his ball and I end up selling out.

Keep em coming!

This or it hugs the rail and scratches when you want it to go in the stack.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Thanks Tom!

Keep em coming!

This or it hugs the rail and scratches when you want it to go in the stack.

Observation is the key to learning these shots. Example: Does the cue ball return too sharply into the rail the second time? If so the angle into the rail may not be direct enough. Try increasing the angle.

Conversely, maybe the cue ball never gets back to the rail a second time. Possibly you hit too deeply behind the ball and caught it too thinly. One way this can happen is if the object ball has more than a ball and a half gap between it and the rail. Experimentation and observation will tell you what you need to know and how to adjust for the situation.

Keep in mind that during practice sessions all the shots you execute have value. Even the ones that don't come out as planned. You may, in a real match, wish to intentionally play that very shot that came out poorly in practice. Don't waste even the errors you preform. They are just as valuable as you successes. Maybe more so.

Tom

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Observation is the key to learning these shots. Example: Does the cue ball return too sharply into the rail the second time? If so the angle into the rail may not be direct enough. Try increasing the angle.

Conversely, maybe the cue ball never gets back to the rail a second time. Possibly you hit too deeply behind the ball and caught it too thinly. One way this can happen is if the object ball has more than a ball and a half gap between it and the rail. Experimentation and observation will tell you what you need to know and how to adjust for the situation.

Keep in mind that during practice sessions all the shots you execute have value. Even the ones that don't come out as planned. You may, in a real match, wish to intentionally play that very shot that came out poorly in practice. Don't waste even the errors you preform. They are just as valuable as you successes. Maybe more so.

Tom

Thanks Tom!