Who pays the time?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Who pays the time?

This whole discussion is ridiculous. (So I’ll join in). The guy is a cheat. Even Dan on the next table over knew what the bet was. Of course the guy knew. The only questions left are .. is it worth it to ever play him again, and if so, under what conditions. If he is a walking ATM, then maybe. Usually guys like that aren’t worth the hassle.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Mkbtank;257449[B said:
]This whole discussion is ridiculous. (So I’ll join in). [/B]The guy is a cheat. Even Dan on the next table over knew what the bet was. Of course the guy knew. The only questions left are .. is it worth it to ever play him again, and if so, under what conditions. If he is a walking ATM, then maybe. Usually guys like that aren’t worth the hassle.

This whole discussion is ridiculous. (So I’ll join in).

This is why I've grown to like you :). I'll be at the next Liscotti/E coast event. Looking for 9/8.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
So the guy that wanted the final game bet to be: $50 plus table time, won that final game.
So then 'what' did that guy want for winning the final game? How did it come down?
I do not think this has been answered on this thread, as of yet! thanks, Whitey

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
So the guy that wanted the final game bet to be: $50 plus table time, won that final game.
So then 'what' did that guy want for winning the final game? How did it come down?
I do not think this has been answered on this thread, as of yet! thanks, Whitey

he said, then she said and then...........................it never stopped. :frus

beatle

Verified Member
i dont see him being a cheat, but maybe just not understanding simple things.

he certainly could have thought he meant you win 50 and get the bill for the time, as you would then be the winner for the night.

most wouldnt think that but some are very dense.

i generally cover all the funny aspects like time. i usually just say "split time no matter who wins". as i usually have a lock. if he wants differently then he can say so. if i am dumping a little to him for better action later or elsewhere i say "winner pays time".

its all called getting the best of him. that is why i am gambling with him in the first place.

but a sucker that i get to play again gets to do whatever he wants to me. this way he cant wait for the next time even after losing.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I am presenting this as a WWYD even though there is not a pool table and a layout of balls. I am going to present a situation that occurred at Red Shoes pool room in Alsip, Illinois last night. Two seasoned one-pocket players were gambling for $50 a game. There was $100 posted by both players for a total of $200. After nearly 5 hours and 14 games of one-pocket the two players were dead even. There was to be one more game of one-pocket. One player wanted to play for the $100. The other player wanted to play for "$50 and the time." Both players agreed to play for "$50 and the time."

The game was won by the player who wanted to play for "$50 and the time." Anyone who has ever bet a pickle or two knows the answer to this question. Who pays the time? :confused:

As John Lavin, the owner of Red Shoes pool room, has posted on this thread, the final one pocket game for "$50 and the time" was won by me (J.R.). My opponent, known by the initials of "J.D." related that his understanding of playing for "$50 and the time" was that the winner pays the time. Initially, I thought he was kidding. I stated that Lavin, Dan "Chicago Fats" Moran, and Ike Runnels had heard the bet. Lavin clearly stated to "J.D." that the bet was for "$50 and the time" which means the loser pays the time. Unfortunately, Moran and Runnels had already left the pool room before my game ended. I stated that I would call Moran and Runnels on the phone to clarify what "$50 and the time" means. During this time "J.D." kept repeating that "$50 and the time" means to him that the winner pays the time, they (me, Lavin, Moran and Runnels) don't know what's going around in my head, and I'm getting ****ed out of my money again."

But let us assume that "J.D." is telling the gospel truth when he states that "$50 and the time" means to him that the winner pays the time. "J.D." and I had been playing for nearly 5 hours. The time would be at least $50. We each had posted up $100. When "J.D." wanted to raise the bet to $100 for the final game, I countered with "$50 and the time." Ike Runnels who had been playing with Dan Moran on the pool table adjacent to our pool table stated, loud and clear, that playing for "$50 and the time" is probably playing for more than $100. If "J.D." didn't hear that then whatever was going around in his head had momentarily got stuck in his ears.

Again, let us assume that "J.D." is telling the gospel truth when he states that "$50 and the time" means to him that the winner pays the time. After playing for 5 hours, wherein the cost of table time is at least $50, why would "J.D." or myself agree to play a final game of one pocket for $50 where the winner pays all the time? There would be no monetary winner. Why play the final game? Obviously, that logic wasn't twisting and twirling around in his head either.

The situation ended with me (J.R.) receiving $50 for winning the final game and paying my half of the table time.

And for anyone who thinks that playing for "$50 and the time" could mean anything else than the loser pays the time should never play for more than a pickle or two!

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
As John Lavin, the owner of Red Shoes pool room, has posted on this thread, the final one pocket game for "$50 and the time" was won by me (J.R.). My opponent, known by the initials of "J.D." related that his understanding of playing for "$50 and the time" was that the winner pays the time. Initially, I thought he was kidding. I stated that Lavin, Dan "Chicago Fats" Moran, and Ike Runnels had heard the bet. Lavin clearly stated to "J.D." that the bet was for "$50 and the time" which means the loser pays the time. Unfortunately, Moran and Runnels had already left the pool room before my game ended. I stated that I would call Moran and Runnels on the phone to clarify what "$50 and the time" means. During this time "J.D." kept repeating that "$50 and the time" means to him that the winner pays the time, they (me, Lavin, Moran and Runnels) don't know what's going around in my head, and I'm getting ****ed out of my money again."

But let us assume that "J.D." is telling the gospel truth when he states that "$50 and the time" means to him that the winner pays the time. "J.D." and I had been playing for nearly 5 hours. The time would be at least $50. We each had posted up $100. When "J.D." wanted to raise the bet to $100 for the final game, I countered with "$50 and the time." Ike Runnels who had been playing with Dan Moran on the pool table adjacent to our pool table stated, loud and clear, that playing for "$50 and the time" is probably playing for more than $100. If "J.D." didn't hear that then whatever was going around in his head had momentarily got stuck in his ears.

Again, let us assume that "J.D." is telling the gospel truth when he states that "$50 and the time" means to him that the winner pays the time. After playing for 5 hours, wherein the cost of table time is at least $50, why would "J.D." or myself agree to play a final game of one pocket for $50 where the winner pays all the time? There would be no monetary winner. Why play the final game? Obviously, that logic wasn't twisting and twirling around in his head either.

The situation ended with me (J.R.) receiving $50 for winning the final game and paying my half of the table time.

And for anyone who thinks that playing for "$50 and the time" could mean anything else than the loser pays the time should never play for more than a pickle or two!

J R,

This is nothing more than a lot of what is going on today with political parties. One side sees a problem (a crisis even) that needs fixing for the good of the country, while the other side pretends that they see nothing wrong, or they just don't understand what you are talking about for their own selfish goals.

You are wasting your time trying to explain to this person, or trying to prove your point. He very well understands, but he has "his story" and he's sticking to it. He needs to be shunned and ignored, and if you must play him get the money up front and ignore his irrational complaints. You know right from wrong and have your peers support.

JMHO :)

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
J.R., I apologize for one of my previous posts, I deleted it, for now I know who the true weasel is, J.D.
I cringe to imagine what his interpretation of the bet would of been if he had won the final game, good lord!
Thanks for the thread, it brought back memories of when I got screwed in a very similar way, by a very similar character. Whitey

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Lol... After 5 hours of play we are dead even and I say...Hey JD, let's just play the last game for the time..... Sure he says! ugh... where did JD go, I thought he lost and was getting the time. No sir, i'm sorry but that will be 50.00. he said the winner gets the time...:eek:

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Wednesday night I am playing JD aka the Haymaker for 150 a game. JR and John Lavin are within ears range. I had to ask the Haymaker if he wanted to play for 150 PLUS the table time loud enough for the whole room to hear.
Fun times!!!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Bummer. I would simply say to JD that unless he pays you your time back you will not play him again. Then get some file cards so you can write down what you are playing for in the future, have him initial it and give it to the house guy to hold.