Who pays the time?

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I am presenting this as a WWYD even though there is not a pool table and a layout of balls. I am going to present a situation that occurred at Red Shoes pool room in Alsip, Illinois last night. Two seasoned one-pocket players were gambling for $50 a game. There was $100 posted by both players for a total of $200. After nearly 5 hours and 14 games of one-pocket the two players were dead even. There was to be one more game of one-pocket. One player wanted to play for the $100. The other player wanted to play for "$50 and the time." Both players agreed to play for "$50 and the time."

The game was won by the player who wanted to play for "$50 and the time." Anyone who has ever bet a pickle or two knows the answer to this question. Who pays the time? :confused:

BRLongArm

Verified Member
If you are playing for $50 and the time, then the loser pays the time plus $50, of course.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
An old guy (probably 40 or so) was in Lakewood Family Billiards practicing One Pocket. Us young guys were sitting there watching him hit them, and one said Whitey you should ask him to play, I was 18. So I did, and I bet he thought he could beat any kid at OP. One game I especially remember for it was a down table game in which he had all the banks to my hole sewed up. But, I did a combination bank off the head rail with good separation between balls, then I did another very similar combination bank in session, and he quit after that game.
He did not pay me for the last game, but instead went up to pay for the table and that came out of my last game win, I paid for all his practice time, and our match time, which was done after 4 games, not to long. Oh well, I liked sticking it to him with those combination banks! Whitey

I am interested in seeing what the answer is to your question! thanks, for the thread!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I am presenting this as a WWYD even though there is not a pool table and a layout of balls. I am going to present a situation that occurred at Red Shoes pool room in Alsip, Illinois last night. Two seasoned one-pocket players were gambling for $50 a game. There was $100 posted by both players for a total of $200. After nearly 5 hours and 14 games of one-pocket the two players were dead even. There was to be one more game of one-pocket. One player wanted to play for the $100. The other player wanted to play for "$50 and the time." Both players agreed to play for "$50 and the time."

The game was won by the player who wanted to play for "$50 and the time." Anyone who has ever bet a pickle or two knows the answer to this question. Who pays the time? :confused:

Easy answer.. The winner of the last game should pick up the $200 stake money and hand the loser back 50 out of it, and say good game and walk out.. It's irrelevant if the time was on a twenty dollar special or if it was $170 or whatever, the loser would pay that also..

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Loser obviously pays 50.00 plus pays the time for both players. If they are truly "seasoned" players this has had to come up before...lol So, I would pay my own time and I would never play that nit again...

beatle

Verified Member
if you specifically played for the time that was part of the bet. are people stupid or what.

it depends on the local custom in the room. in some the winners always pay, and some only if you win a lot or bust the guy.

and

some you pay your own as some players have a monthly rate and have paid their own time before the game even started.

but if it bothers you, state at the start what is expected of each player.

Gettherack

The winner always pays the time if the time is more than you won you should have bet more !!!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Yes, I don't get that there could be any confusion about this, since it was spelled out prior to the last game.

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Yes, I don't get that there could be any confusion about this, since it was spelled out prior to the last game.

The bet was 50 and time. The loser pays the 50 and table time. That's what he agreed to. Shouldn't be any debate. 2 season players.

MDahmer

Seems simple, I’ve been wondering if there was some kind of trick question hidden here but I don’t see it. And if time is similar cost in that area it didn’t make much difference anyway. 5 hours at 10/hr

Scenario 1 - I get my hundo back, plus yours and I graciously pay 50 for the time, leaving me +50

#2 I keep my $, get your 50, and you pay 50 for time leaving me +50

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
Report from an eye witness

Report from an eye witness

I was the "stake-holder" in the game. There was never ANY CONFUSION over what was being wagered in the last game. All I can think of is that the looser thought he had a chance to get away with one by acting CONFUSED. The offender relied on 2 things that night. #1 the guy he is playing is a great guy and vary soft spoken. #2 I was in the room and don't allow "boxing matches" in my place, he thought I would protect him from having his clock cleaned. HE MADE 2 MISTAKES #1 Because I was holding the stakes there was no way he was going to pull that " I'm confused" BS......#2 (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY) The writer of this thread (JR) is the "last swinging male appendage" you want to screw around with in the CHICAGO AREA. The offender does not realize how close he came to not going home that night in one piece. So....Thank You JR for not putting my place on the nightly news.

baby huey

Verified Member
This story is as old as pool itself. Its like you win a few games and the loser wants you to pay the time. This doesn't happen in golf as you pay your green fee's upfront. Just pay the man for the game and pay the time.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I was playing Ike on the table next to this match and it was like 3 in the morning. I left before this "discussion" came about. I was on the highway barely awake and got a call from JR asking what the bet was. It was clearly the loser pays 50 dollars plus the time. He asked me and i said it backwards because I quickly answered with some distractions in my rear view mirror. Anyhow... i missed the excitement. JR has stated in the past he would never play this individual again for other reasons.
It's weird because the offender is fun action but gets carried away in all sorts of aspects. So we all play him from time to time. :lol. In the game of life we are all suckers for some action.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Where I play in Atlanta, unless there is negotiated deal before playing, we generally split the time. That said, I do have several guys I play with where the winner pays the time. In rare instances, the time has actually exceeded the winnings but I don't really worry about that because they are good action.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I was the "stake-holder" in the game. There was never ANY CONFUSION over what was being wagered in the last game. All I can think of is that the looser thought he had a chance to get away with one by acting CONFUSED. The offender relied on 2 things that night. #1 the guy he is playing is a great guy and vary soft spoken. #2 I was in the room and don't allow "boxing matches" in my place, he thought I would protect him from having his clock cleaned. HE MADE 2 MISTAKES #1 Because I was holding the stakes there was no way he was going to pull that " I'm confused" BS......#2 (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY) The writer of this thread (JR) is the "last swinging male appendage" you want to screw around with in the CHICAGO AREA. The offender does not realize how close he came to not going home that night in one piece. So....Thank You JR for not putting my place on the nightly news.

I still don't understand the purported confusion. What else could "$50 and the time" mean? I guess the losing player could argue that the bet was for "$50 and the table time for only the very last game" but that's pretty stupid. Or maybe try to pretend that it was just $50?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
On a side note, I ALWAYS pay the time if I am winner at the end of a session unless the table time exceeds what I won (which has never happened to me personally). I just think it's good sportsmanship.

But in this instance the bet WAS the table time, so of course the loser pays it, that was the bet!