Gambling question

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Ok player 1 is in action with player 2. Player 1 is giving up 10-6. Player 1 has a sidebet with railbird 1 (giving 4/1 odds cheap 10/40). Each player owes a ball in the course of the game. Player 1 gets a shot and runs 10 balls. Both he and his opponent sleep the owed ball and agree the game is over after the 10th ball is made. Both player 2 and railbird 1 pay off. Player 2 quits.

It is 15 minutes later. Player 1 is getting ready to play a new challenger Railbird 2 mentions that both guys slept the owed ball from that last game. Railbird 1 overhears this and now says player 1 should have lost the game and demands to be paid his 40.

You are player 1. Or you are the judge, whatever. What happens?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Ok player 1 is in action with player 2. Player 1 is giving up 10-6. Player 1 has a sidebet with railbird 1 (giving 4/1 odds cheap 10/40). Each player owes a ball in the course of the game. Player 1 gets a shot and runs 10 balls. Both he and his opponent sleep the owed ball and agree the game is over after the 10th ball is made. Both player 2 and railbird 1 pay off. Player 2 quits.

It is 15 minutes later. Player 1 is getting ready to play a new challenger Railbird 2 mentions that both guys slept the owed ball from that last game. Railbird 1 overhears this and now says player 1 should have lost the game and demands to be paid his 40.

You are player 1. Or you are the judge, whatever. What happens?

I would not pay unless there was a ‘No Sleep Agreement’ before the game. If it was a regular customer who I was convinced thought he was right, I might flip a coin for it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
By our rules, I believe the game was over once it was conceded or agreed that it was over.
regardless of whether a subsequent count reveals that more balls are needed

Scroll down to 10. Keeping Score
http://www.onepocket.org/official-one-pocket-rules/

A lot of that rule came from Grady by the way -- for his "Legends" tournaments.

Of course like all of our rules -- they could be improved for clarity. The tricky thing is to improve them without further complicating them lol.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
when a player concedes the game, it is over. The railbird has no say in it. He gets to bet, he doesn't get to referee the game. If the railbird thinks there was funny business, then he knows not to mess with either player again.

Otherwise, when a game is conceded,it doesn't matter what the count is.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
when a player concedes the game, it is over. The railbird has no say in it. He gets to bet, he doesn't get to referee the game. If the railbird thinks there was funny business, then he knows not to mess with either player again.

Otherwise, when a game is conceded,it doesn't matter what the count is.

What Joe said. And you don't want to argue with him. (Just kidding Joe):D

The game is over and Player 1 won.

beatle

Verified Member
side better gets to complain but not have a say in the outcome of anything involved in the game. the loser conceded the game so it is over.

still dealing with someone that feels slighted is never a good position to be in.
best to find a friend of his to side with you so it doesnt fester.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I have gambled with every wit, nitwit, and halfwit where this state of affairs has arisen which is seldom settled amicably unless you can clearly express as to who and why there is a winner and a loser.

Once the game is conceded and the balls are raked the game is over. I assume after 15 minutes the balls were raked. I further assume that all bets had been paid which would also terminate the game. Balls raked or bets paid are the normal criteria for the termination of a game.

However, if the winner, after running 10 balls and out, raked the balls, and forgot that he owed a ball, he would lose if his opponent stated he owed a ball prior to all bets being settled.

Conversely, if the winner, after running 10 balls and out, forgot that he owed a ball, he would win if his opponent raked the balls regardless if the owed ball was remembered by his opponent or anyone else at anytime after the balls were raked.

youngstown

Verified Member
Gambling question

Player 1 won by concession and has the option to never gamble with player 2 or bet with said Railbird.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Gambling question

Thanks all for your opinions. In this scenario, I was player 1, and my thoughts were the same as yours for the same reasons. JR I don’t remember who raked the balls, but it was definitely my opponent who told me at one point during my run, “you need two more” and after making them, told me good game and paid off. Further, as Beatle suggested, I did enlist the opinion of a mutual uninvolved friend who agreed as well. Railbird 1 was not happy but he did cease demanding that he won and was to be paid.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Thanks all for your opinions. In this scenario, I was player 1, and my thoughts were the same as yours for the same reasons. JR I don’t remember who raked the balls, but it was definitely my opponent who told me at one point during my run, “you need two more” and after making them, told me good game and paid off. Further, as Beatle suggested, I did enlist the opinion of a mutual uninvolved friend who agreed as well. Railbird 1 was not happy but he did cease demanding that he won and was to be paid.

Sweet... you are giving guys 10 6 now.
Can't wait to match up.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

However, if the winner, after running 10 balls and out, raked the balls, and forgot that he owed a ball, he would lose if his opponent stated he owed a ball prior to all bets being settled.

A similar thing happened at a senior event in Houston. Henderson and J. Christopher were playing a match, and at one point Christopher thought he was out, and raked the balls. Henderson reminded him he hadn't been out, so Christopher lost the game. Is that how it was, Johnny? These things can happen, even with experienced players.

~Doc

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Gambling question

10 and out........GUILTY! :heh I am with Dan, we are making an adjustment to our game in Philly.

Don’t make me tell them the game we played last time and how badly you beat me. I still can’t walk right.

baby huey

Verified Member
Sidebettors beware, its actually none of your business unless you are asked for your input. The game is over and that's that.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Lol. You guys stink. I’m telling you every ball was by my hole!!!!! 😇
Yep, just like in Louisville when you ran the 9 and out against me....:eek: I
think i'm liking/needing "the old retired guy who does play well 10-6 handicap" you offered that other poor elderly victim you took advantage of here