Gambling question

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
Thanks all for your opinions. In this scenario, I was player 1, and my thoughts were the same as yours for the same reasons. JR I don’t remember who raked the balls, but it was definitely my opponent who told me at one point during my run, “you need two more” and after making them, told me good game and paid off. Further, as Beatle suggested, I did enlist the opinion of a mutual uninvolved friend who agreed as well. Railbird 1 was not happy but he did cease demanding that he won and was to be paid.

No shit you was PLAYER 1, Huge spots, and odds on the money, give the sucker his money back as you knew you were stealing, u got plenty of other sucker coming in a couple of weeks to donate.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Sidebettors beware, its actually none of your business unless you are asked for your input. The game is over and that's that.

I believe a sidebettor, a spectator, a backer, even a seeing eye-dog watching the game can alert the players that a ball is owed prior to the balls being raked. Why? Simply, it's the fair thing to do and works for both players.

I wonder how other forum contributors feel about the "opposite views" presented by Jerry and J.R.?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I believe a sidebettor, a spectator, a backer, even a seeing eye-dog watching the game can alert the players that a ball is owed prior to the balls being raked. Why? Simply, it's the fair thing to do and works for both players.

I wonder how other forum contributors feel about the "opposite views" presented by Jerry and J.R.?

This is only my opinion, but the way I see it is, if I am betting on the side with one of the players in the match, I am going to speak up if the opponent says the game is over and I know he still owes one.

if I have a side bet with another railbird, I am not going to say anything because neither of the players is involved in my bet.

If I have no money at all riding on any part of it I am keeping my mouth shut because it's none of my business.

if its a tournament and I notice something like that, sure I may point it out but gambling is completely different IMO.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
This is only my opinion, but the way I see it is, if I am betting on the side with one of the players in the match, I am going to speak up if the opponent says the game is over and I know he still owes one.

if I have a side bet with another railbird, I am not going to say anything because neither of the players is involved in my bet.

If I have no money at all riding on any part of it I am keeping my mouth shut because it's none of my business.

if its a tournament and I notice something like that, sure I may point it out but gambling is completely different IMO.

Where do you draw the line as a better on the side do you have a right to say something if the guy your betting against commits an error or a foul.

Very slippery slope you're heading dwn there.:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Gambling question

Yep, just like in Louisville when you ran the 9 and out against me....:eek: I

think i'm liking/needing "the old retired guy who does play well 10-6 handicap" you offered that other poor elderly victim you took advantage of here

That’s the only other time I’ve ever done that. 😇. I have way more respect for you than that.

No shit you was PLAYER 1, Huge spots, and odds on the money, give the sucker his money back as you knew you were stealing, u got plenty of other sucker coming in a couple of weeks to donate.

Believe me the bets were so small I wasn’t risking much. Also until you give someone a fair game you have no room to talk. You are a known monster from coast to coast 🤣

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
Where do you draw the line as a better on the side do you have a right to say something if the guy your betting against commits an error or a foul.

I typically try not to get involved for this exact reason.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Put me in the long line of people you'll give 10-6 to!

Also, your original question is not even close. You snooze you lose.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I already said where I draw the line.

if I have money bet with one of the players, I am speaking up. If I don't, i am keeping my hole shut!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

In my opinion, slept balls should be fair game to comment on by anybody.

Bad hits, wrong holes etc are between the players who are playing only.
You start calling those sort of things around here when you aren't in the game it gets you put in your place in a hurry. Now, if both players ask me i'll give my opinion.
Last month i'm playing in a 50 entry 8 ball, i play a safe and make my opponents hanger blocker solid in the hole and replace it with my stripe. He has no shot except a bank that wont go laying next to another one of my balls. I think he's banking his instead of mine and don't say anything.
He wasn't paying attention to the game and tried to bank my stripe instead of his solid laying next to it. He just assumed the new stripe in the hole was still his ball and he had stripes. Well i call foul because he shot at my stripe. He says no i have stripes, you must have switched balls...lol Well this drunk who wasn't watching either.... says yea, you must have switched balls! He has stripes. Well i'm pissed and start telling the railbird off... It got bad, i was hot...lol So, we all calm down and my friend who is the other player thinks it over and says i must have had stripes, my ball is still blocking the hole. Then i tell him i just shot his solid blocker ball in with mine replacing it. Lights come on, problem solved. My friend apologizes and the game goes on. If the rail bird hadn't squawked there wouldn't have been a problem...

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Sweet... you are giving guys 10 6 now.
Can't wait to match up.

Yep, just like in Louisville when you ran the 9 and out against me....:eek: I
think i'm liking/needing "the old retired guy who does play well 10-6 handicap" you offered that other poor elderly victim you took advantage of here

I think there's guys on here wanting to take advantage of young Mitch, and shame on all of them.

I'm 72 (and don't play anything like I used to either), but in all fairness (just lookin for a fair game) I think just two balls would be enough for me, Mitch. Maybe even just one ball and the breaks if I can get some of those odds you were giving your buddy, the other old man you were robbing.:D

Looking forward to a great time in Philly in a couple of weeks.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Gambling question

I think there's guys on here wanting to take advantage of young Mitch, and shame on all of them.

I'm 72 (and don't play anything like I used to either), but in all fairness (just lookin for a fair game) I think just two balls would be enough for me, Mitch. Maybe even just one ball and the breaks if I can get some of those odds you were giving your buddy, the other old man you were robbing.:D

Looking forward to a great time in Philly in a couple of weeks.

Should be a great time 👍

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
for my education
i understand
dont stick your nose into someone elses business
but
if you are betting on the side ........it is your business
so
what is proper behavior for a railbird???
educate me......thanks.....

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
for my education
i understand
dont stick your nose into someone elses business
but
if you are betting on the side ........it is your business
so
what is proper behavior for a railbird???
educate me......thanks.....

Hey Larry.....

I think on this subject that when one is betting on the side, he is betting on his horse and on anything and everything his horse does or doesn't do.

Unless asked by the guy he is betting against, he is not free to intercede in any way or express an opinion. To do otherwise requires one to draw a line somewhere as to what things the railbird can and cannot say or do. As this thread has demonstrated, we all draw the line in different places, and could never cover all possibilities beforehand, which will always lead to disagreements.

If you are the railbird and your horse misses calling a foul on the opponent, you are not free to yell out "foul". And if you don't, what are you going to do, not pay the bet if your horse loses. That can not possibly work, railbirds that bet on the side have to live with the results as decided between the two players.

beatle

Verified Member
railbirds will frequently say things about a game and even point out missed fouls. thats life folks . and if i was betting and my man missed seeing a foul i would say something. its my money and the opponent accepted my bet which means i am part of the game. but not to the point i can help with shots.
some would not agree with the last point and i wouldnt if it was going agasint me. when you gamble you make decisions on what is best for you up to a point..

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
railbirds will frequently say things about a game and even point out missed fouls. thats life folks . and if i was betting and my man missed seeing a foul i would say something. its my money and the opponent accepted my bet which means i am part of the game. but not to the point i can help with shots.
some would not agree with the last point and i wouldnt if it was going agasint me. when you gamble you make decisions on what is best for you up to a point..

Beatle

I think you normally say things that I agree with, but I guess not this time. The mere fact that you have a side bet, could be with me or could be with another railbird, doesn't make you part of the game in any way. I don't see how you can draw the line between calling out a foul from the rail and helping your man with a shot.

You point out the obvious contradiction and hypocrisy of your position when you say you could be on both sides of this fence depending your personal interests. No advice or answer supporting both sides, based on only your personal interest can be valid.
:sorry

beatle

Verified Member
i do agree with you it isnt really right. but i still must protect my interests. and you shouldnt side bet if you want the bettor to remain mum if he sees a situation detrimental to his bet that he can change.
that how i can get on both sides of the fence. after all i dont play by marcus of queensbury rules i play to win and use most techniques i can that i can get away with that are within a digestible realm.

there still has to be a point where it is entirely correct to intercede. like when the opponent makes a ball in your players pocket and puts it in his unseen. should the side bettor just take that. i dont think so.

what do the others think on this?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Hey Larry.....

I think on this subject that when one is betting on the side, he is betting on his horse and on anything and everything his horse does or doesn't do.

Unless asked by the guy he is betting against, he is not free to intercede in any way or express an opinion. To do otherwise requires one to draw a line somewhere as to what things the railbird can and cannot say or do. As this thread has demonstrated, we all draw the line in different places, and could never cover all possibilities beforehand, which will always lead to disagreements.

If you are the railbird and your horse misses calling a foul on the opponent, you are not free to yell out "foul". And if you don't, what are you going to do, not pay the bet if your horse loses. That can not possibly work, railbirds that bet on the side have to live with the results as decided between the two players.

Where this also gets real dicey is when you have several railbirds who are side betting or a heavy home field advantage. You just cant have a bunch a people yelling bad hit or double hit even though it happens. I dont exactly poll the crowd if I'm playing

Cory in dc

Verified Member
i do agree with you it isnt really right. but i still must protect my interests. and you shouldnt side bet if you want the bettor to remain mum if he sees a situation detrimental to his bet that he can change.
that how i can get on both sides of the fence. after all i dont play by marcus of queensbury rules i play to win and use most techniques i can that i can get away with that are within a digestible realm.

there still has to be a point where it is entirely correct to intercede. like when the opponent makes a ball in your players pocket and puts it in his unseen. should the side bettor just take that. i dont think so.

If your bet is with the other side directly, I say you're on the inside and can advise re: sleepers and fouls. But you can't ever coach unless that's part of the agreement. If wagering with another railbird, then no alerting players to sleepers or fouls either.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Rail birds have NO SAY in the game whether they are side betting or not. Same goes for those who stream. No comments, period.
I went to Chicago with the famous JR Hendy. Of course I had money in the game and I took all side bets. This was when the infamous Ghost asked for a second match. The only time I said anything about the game was when got back to our AirBNB. Then we talked strategy. Side bettors have no say in the game.
As far as Mitch, he torched me in MS, IND, CA giving me what should have been a lock for me. I can blame being hurt, getting old, blind, etc, but the MF is playing very sporty. No safety is safe.
MITCH THE BEAST, you playing good.
10-7 the breaks and first shot. I’m betting the proceeds from last years pot winnings. I know betting it up does not bother you.
BTW, your buddy bit on the wrong sucker.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD

I do see your point, although I think the norm on this question is the side railbird better has no voice and no part in the game whatsoever. unless he is asked by the opponent. I could accept a bet from a railbird if it was made known up front that he will intercede on behalf of his horse on certain calls and express his opinion, maybe..........

However, the problem even with this understanding is he can have no vote in a dispute, because of his personal interest. I cannot accept that with a disputed call it will be two against one. Disputes will have to be resolved some other way and he must abide by the decision.