Ruling please

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Playing one hole today, we played if you made a ball on the break it was rerack Question came up about if you make a ball on the break and scratched. What's the ruling. Naturally we got five different responses. Thanks in advance Paul

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
In any tournament I have played that was rack your own, if you made a ball it was always a rerack regardless if you scratched.

With that being said, at Derby City this is what they say: "If you make a ball and scratch you spot that ball, owe one and opponent has BIH behind the head string. These are specific tournament rules and not part of any official rule set."

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Playing one hole today, we played if you made a ball on the break it was rerack Question came up about if you make a ball on the break and scratched. What's the ruling. Naturally we got five different responses. Thanks in advance Paul

Paul,

We've beat this horse to death several times already on this forum. And it has been discussed before with lil Dave too.

The consensus as far as I know is nothing cancels or offsets a CB scratch. You don't get saved because you made a ball on the break anymore than when you make a ball during the game and scratch.

The end result is if you scratch while making a ball on the break, you spot the ball you made, you owe a ball. and it is the other guy's shot BIH behind the line, just like during the game if the same thing happens.

:)

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Since the ”rule”, rerack if you make a ball on the break is a made up rule made for the pros, the rule for a scratch can be made up before you start the game. You can play since he made a ball rerack, or you can play, it’s a scratch and you owe one.
Owing a ball when the rule is rerack is as stupid as the rerack rule itself. It’s a contradiction in the make a ball on the rack rule. Either you make a ball and rerack or don’t play it. You can’t have contradicting rules for the same shot.
I never willing play rerack because I play old school one pocket. If I’m gambling and someone wants to play rerack, they need to find someone else. The rules don’t change for me because some pros are unhappy with their opponents breaking and running out. What should we change next, the changing of rotating breaks? Should we play, winner breaks because it’s played that way in other games? You can rationalize rules any way you want but one pocket rules were written in stone by the almighty gee hod.:eek::cool:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Since the ”rule”, rerack if you make a ball on the break is a made up rule made for the pros, the rule for a scratch can be made up before you start the game. You can play since he made a ball rerack, or you can play, it’s a scratch and you owe one.
Owing a ball when the rule is rerack is as stupid as the rerack rule itself. It’s a contradiction in the make a ball on the rack rule. Either you make a ball and rerack or don’t play it. You can’t have contradicting rules for the same shot.
I never willing play rerack because I play old school one pocket. If I’m gambling and someone wants to play rerack, they need to find someone else. The rules don’t change for me because some pros are unhappy with their opponents breaking and running out. What should we change next, the changing of rotating breaks? Should we play, winner breaks because it’s played that way in other games? You can rationalize rules any way you want but one pocket rules were written in stone by the almighty gee hod.:eek::cool:

Kentucky, I believe the re-rack rule came about because the breaker racks, now days. They changed the rack rule then they changed the rule when a ball is scored on the break, 're-rack'. Now they are finally figuring out what to do when a guy also scratches. Three alternative rules replacing the original way that One Pocket was played, which is 'opponent racks', period! Whitey

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN

I completely agree with this and I still think the opponent should rack as the breaker always has the opportunity to inspect the rack.