Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
    How’s your wife doing?
    Thanks for asking Tom. She is recovering and doing better every day but still needs a lot of nursing and that be me.

Comment

Great poster..

Been awhile since I posted.
      Awesome poster Frank.
      I will give 626 pennies for it
      Lol
      Congrats John!
      "I'm gettin worse everyday and right now
      I'm playing like it's next year"

Comment

Originally posted by JeaLouS44 View Post
        Been awhile since I posted.
        Awesome poster Frank.
        I will give 626 pennies for it
        Lol
        Congrats John!
        I forgot to add...plus shipping.

Comment

Ok. 526 pennies for shipping. 😜
          "I'm gettin worse everyday and right now
          I'm playing like it's next year"

Comment

I was awed by this. But, at the same time, it sorta gives you the title of best practicer of all time.

It is not that it is not amazing. I just think competitive numbers are all that really count. Barry Bonds may have hit an absurd number of consecutive home runs in batting practice, something nobody ever came close to do. But who would care?! The numbers he attained during the season during the actual games were all that mattered.

In short, I believe, for whatever reason, we give these practice numbers too much weight in pool. Maybe specifically in straight pool. This is all coming from a huge J Schmidt fan too! I just do not think this is even close to the greatest things he has ever done. It does not even make the list.

Comment

of course, practicing for weeks on a table you have set up just the way you want is a whole world different than doing it in competition or traveling around doing exhibitions with one shot at it on strange equipment.

as for your example look at home run derby where they have it set up for them. they hit home runs one after another, yet in real games it is much more rare.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
                I was awed by this. But, at the same time, it sorta gives you the title of best practicer of all time.

It is not that it is not amazing. I just think competitive numbers are all that really count. Barry Bonds may have hit an absurd number of consecutive home runs in batting practice, something nobody ever came close to do. But who would care?! The numbers he attained during the season during the actual games were all that mattered.

In short, I believe, for whatever reason, we give these practice numbers too much weight in pool. Maybe specifically in straight pool. This is all coming from a huge J Schmidt fan too! I just do not think this is even close to the greatest things he has ever done. It does not even make the list.
                If competitive numbers were all that counted in straight pool then the record run might be 200 by Darren Appleton.

John has the record run of 626 consecutive balls made.

Mosconi had the record run of 526 (the first 150 or 200 with an opponent in an exhibition, the last 300+ with no opponent)

The record in a competition without an opponent would be a Derby City straight pool run I believe.

Very unlikely there will ever be a huge straight pool run (like Willy's or John's) in a competition with an opponent because the game would have to be to 1,000 or something like that and that isn't going to happen.

So, although Willy's record occurred in different conditions than John's it was an exhibition and NOT a competition.

Comment

Good to see you posting, Wayne! I thought maybe you'd moved to Timbuktu or some damn place...

~Doc

Comment

Working...
                  X