Mr. 600

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
There was just a big thread on azbilliards on how incredibly rare 100 ball runners are.
John beats the record by that much on tougher equipment, and people can still find a way to play down the accomplishment! :lol:lol:lol

Way to go, John! I'm amazed. I wonder if I'll see that record broken in my lifetime.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Here is a picture of Mr. 626 doing his thing at the Barber Shop. That is an amazing number. Congratulations John, I will need one of your posters for my game room.

IMG_0326.JPG

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
This is really amazing. Apparently broke an unconfirmed record of Eufamia (spelling) running 625 as well. It amazes me all the detractors, I think some pool players are so accustomed to complaining they don't know how to enjoy something great.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
This is really amazing. Apparently broke an unconfirmed record of Eufamia (spelling) running 625 as well. It amazes me all the detractors, I think some pool players are so accustomed to complaining they don't know how to enjoy something great.

It does seem that way, but it's really only a few grumps among a host of impressed and congratulatory people.

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
Great poster..

Great poster..

Been awhile since I posted.
Awesome poster Frank.
I will give 626 pennies for it:p
Lol
Congrats John!

El Chapo

Verified Member
I was awed by this. But, at the same time, it sorta gives you the title of best practicer of all time.

It is not that it is not amazing. I just think competitive numbers are all that really count. Barry Bonds may have hit an absurd number of consecutive home runs in batting practice, something nobody ever came close to do. But who would care?! The numbers he attained during the season during the actual games were all that mattered.

In short, I believe, for whatever reason, we give these practice numbers too much weight in pool. Maybe specifically in straight pool. This is all coming from a huge J Schmidt fan too! I just do not think this is even close to the greatest things he has ever done. It does not even make the list.

beatle

Verified Member
of course, practicing for weeks on a table you have set up just the way you want is a whole world different than doing it in competition or traveling around doing exhibitions with one shot at it on strange equipment.

as for your example look at home run derby where they have it set up for them. they hit home runs one after another, yet in real games it is much more rare.

Wayne

Verified Member
I was awed by this. But, at the same time, it sorta gives you the title of best practicer of all time.

It is not that it is not amazing. I just think competitive numbers are all that really count. Barry Bonds may have hit an absurd number of consecutive home runs in batting practice, something nobody ever came close to do. But who would care?! The numbers he attained during the season during the actual games were all that mattered.

In short, I believe, for whatever reason, we give these practice numbers too much weight in pool. Maybe specifically in straight pool. This is all coming from a huge J Schmidt fan too! I just do not think this is even close to the greatest things he has ever done. It does not even make the list.

If competitive numbers were all that counted in straight pool then the record run might be 200 by Darren Appleton.

John has the record run of 626 consecutive balls made.

Mosconi had the record run of 526 (the first 150 or 200 with an opponent in an exhibition, the last 300+ with no opponent)

The record in a competition without an opponent would be a Derby City straight pool run I believe.

Very unlikely there will ever be a huge straight pool run (like Willy's or John's) in a competition with an opponent because the game would have to be to 1,000 or something like that and that isn't going to happen.

So, although Willy's record occurred in different conditions than John's it was an exhibition and NOT a competition.