No announcement yet.

T-Rex vs Robocop Big Money One Pocket Action Rubber Match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Robocop Dennis Orcollo on his 40-30 win over Chohan.

This guy is amazing.

He stays in big action like nobody else. Often giving up huge handicaps.

He has been on a non-stop tour of big money games and tournaments crisscrossing the country.

Back & forth between Las Vegas and Houston side trip to Kansas and lately New Orleans

Click image for larger version

Name:	70662266_522817348286489_6288852231911374848_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	401387

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	401388
    Last edited by Terry Hanna; 09-23-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Considering how much Dennis out shot Tony I think the score does not represent how well tony played. Dennis is (I would argue) the best pocketer on the planet over long periods of time and is carrying a lot less weight than tony which over three days has to make a big difference. When tony moved he won games but the problem is that even after 30 minutes of out moving your opponent and pecking away at there lead Dennis whenever given a shot for the money almost no matter how bad , made it. That is huge pressure on some one no matter how good they play to realize that every mistake will cost them the game even if the balls don't lie great. From what I saw untill the very end of the last day tony still had his mind on the game and I have huge respect for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by catkins View Post
        considering how much dennis out shot tony i think the score does not represent how well tony played. Dennis is (i would argue) the best pocketer on the planet over long periods of time and is carrying a lot less weight than tony which over three days has to make a big difference. when tony moved he won games but the problem is that even after 30 minutes of out moving your opponent and pecking away at there lead dennis whenever given a shot for the money almost no matter how bad , made it. That is huge pressure on some one no matter how good they play to realize that every mistake will cost them the game even if the balls don't lie great. From what i saw untill the very end of the last day tony still had his mind on the game and i have huge respect for that.
        Match was actually four days

This was a long grueling race to 40 over four days that really seemed to take toll on Tony.

On the other hand Robo is like a machine, after playing Tony each night he made bee line to the other tables and played other big action matches all night every night

[ATTACH]25040[/ATTACH].................
        Last edited by Terry Hanna; 09-23-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• This was a great match to sweat in New Orleans with Mary k. Of course sitting in the booth with josh and having the best seat in the house didn’t hurt. Josh analyzed each shot and I got to ask him questions on the how the cue ball would react to certain shots. He is a great guy and showed me how to hit a couple of the shots we discussed during the commentary.

Members beware lsjohn him giving me 9 to 6 was tough to fade...

Being in the booth was an honor that ray Hansen allowed to me to do. It was a lot of fun and very informative...hope I didn’t sound to much like a geek while doing it.

See some of you guys in Southaven in a couple of weeks...

B
          Execution of the shot, some days I have it some days I don't...

Comment

• Originally posted by wgcp View Post
            This was a great match to sweat in New Orleans with Mary k. Of course sitting in the booth with josh and having the best seat in the house didn’t hurt. Josh analyzed each shot and I got to ask him questions on the how the cue ball would react to certain shots. He is a great guy and showed me how to hit a couple of the shots we discussed during the commentary.

Being in the booth was an honor that ray Hansen allowed to me to do. It was a lot of fun and very informative...hope I didn’t sound to much like a geek while doing it.

B
            Great Job, you and Josh were a great team worked well together in the booth IMO

Name:	71497431_1116299505245961_7502028309455175680_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	401390

Name:	ok.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	401391

Comment

• Originally posted by wgcp View Post
              This was a great match to sweat in New Orleans with Mary k. Of course sitting in the booth with josh and having the best seat in the house didn’t hurt. Josh analyzed each shot and I got to ask him questions on the how the cue ball would react to certain shots. He is a great guy and showed me how to hit a couple of the shots we discussed during the commentary.

B
              Brother you sounded like a late night FM DJ...old pro.

...You are listening to sweet jams of Billie Miller. Bringing you the platters that matter.

Both of you gents represented us well.
              Regards,

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos

Comment

• Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                I would like to see a busty / tony rematch too then. If Tony played like he played this past session, I like Busty don't you?

On a side note on slow play, when I watched the first battle of Orcollo/Chohan, I could not believe how slow Dennis played, I wouldn't be able to take it as his opponent myself.

I know there are plenty of members on the forums who would not be for a shot clock in one hole, but I am for sure one that would be for it. Even if its 60 seconds instead of 30, that should be plenty per shot! just my 2 cents...
                I think a shot clock with a decent amount of extensions per game, like five, would be fair. I have played one pocked for about 25 years and most decisions come within a few seconds but every now and then you have to really think a situation through.

Just my 02 cents on the topic, it felt to me like Dennis was slow playing a little in some situation that looked fairly obvious. But with no clock that is his prerogative.

-don

Comment

• Dennis Orcollo is one of if not the best pool player in the world today, he has proven that for over 10 years. His one pocket knowledge is top shelf and he has adapted well with the style he is comfortable playing with. He strikes balls as good as any player that I have ever watched play.

Todays one pocket is totally different than it was in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's, the better ball strikers are the ones that are winning because the understanding of the game is no longer a secret and because of that the best pool players are dominating.

I think Alex and Dennis would be a great match and to pick a favorite would be very hard to do. If they played I would put it up 6/5 pick it. That line would encourage people to bet with one another because it's a flip of a coin.

However, there are a lot of very good players that are under Alex and Dennis and they are tightly grouped which would be exciting to watch. Chip Compton obviously has risen his game to compete with players like Chohan, Bustamante, Frost, Lunda, Deuel, Daulton, and VanBoening. So you can see how closely grouped these guys are and if Ray Hansen can promote wisely there will be a lot of great matches in store for the future.

On a side note.....Orcollo gave Lunda 9/7 and won, that gives us a better understanding on how much of a difference there is when we grade players against Alex and Dennis. With either Dennis or Alex playing any one in a race to 40 IMO the price for any one beating either one of these two would have to be extremely high. The player that I think that would have the best chance of winning a race to 40 would be VanBoening because of his ball striking ability, plus he also carries a more intimidating presence on his opponent regardless of whom it may be.

Dr. Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                    Dennis Orcollo is one of if not the best pool player in the world today, he has proven that for over 10 years. His one pocket knowledge is top shelf and he has adapted well with the style he is comfortable playing with. He strikes balls as good as any player that I have ever watched play.

Todays one pocket is totally different than it was in the 70's, 80's and even the 90's, the better ball strikers are the ones that are winning because the understanding of the game is no longer a secret and because of that the best pool players are dominating.

I think Alex and Dennis would be a great match and to pick a favorite would be very hard to do. If they played I would put it up 6/5 pick it. That line would encourage people to bet with one another because it's a flip of a coin.

However, there are a lot of very good players that are under Alex and Dennis and they are tightly grouped which would be exciting to watch. Chip Compton obviously has risen his game to compete with players like Chohan, Bustamante, Frost, Lunda, Deuel, Daulton, and VanBoening. So you can see how closely grouped these guys are and if Ray Hansen can promote wisely there will be a lot of great matches in store for the future.

On a side note.....Orcollo gave Lunda 9/7 and won, that gives us a better understanding on how much of a difference there is when we grade players against Alex and Dennis. With either Dennis or Alex playing any one in a race to 40 IMO the price for any one beating either one of these two would have to be extremely high. The player that I think that would have the best chance of winning a race to 40 would be VanBoening because of his ball striking ability, plus he also carries a more intimidating presence on his opponent regardless of whom it may be.

Dr. Bill
                    He won a race to 5 double hill and Lunda asked him to play the next day and he declined. I don't think he'd like to give the line up you mentioned 9 to 7 on a regular basis. Dennis is my boy, but 9-7 is a real spot that will show up. I do know that he gave Corey 8-7 last year at the Derby and won one set.
                    Last edited by BRLongArm; 09-24-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thecoats View Post
                      I think a shot clock with a decent amount of extensions per game, like five, would be fair. I have played one pocked for about 25 years and most decisions come within a few seconds but every now and then you have to really think a situation through.

Just my 02 cents on the topic, it felt to me like Dennis was slow playing a little in some situation that looked fairly obvious. But with no clock that is his prerogative.

-don
                      That is the idea with shot clocks for sure -- a basic clock like 60 sec per shot, with a certain number of extensions. Accustats has been using this format for quite a few years now at the TV table at DCC and for their own Make it Happen events. Players are automatically rolled into an extension if the go over their 60 seconds, unless they have actually run out of their extensions, in which case they are finally actually penalized by having to give up the table, and a foul I believe. I believe Accustats uses 60 seconds and maybe a couple of extensions?? I'm not sure of the number of extensions they get per game.

Most of the time those slow playing players go back to a shot they saw early on, so wtf??? I remember watching JJ at DCC in one match, he may have taken close to 5 minutes, and the shot was dead obvious, which of course he eventually shot. Players that do this will do this over and over if they are allowed to. It kills the flow of the game for their opponent (as intended) as well as for the spectators. Pat Fleming of Accustats of course uses the shot clock for the benefit of those people buying and watching his vids, but in a cash match like this, If you are NOT one of those drag ass players, I would definitely be asking for a clock vs one of the players that is.

BTW if we see Chip Compton vs Tony (being talked about already) -- no shot clock will be needed because Chip like Tony gets right to it!!
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

• I agree 100% with the guys who advocate a shot clock for people like Dennis O. As a rule, I don't like shot clocks, since one-pocket --like baseball-- should not ordinarily have time limits.

However IMO Chohan in effect gave the nuts to Orcullo when he didn't stipulate against Orcullos's dawdling snail's pace play. Might he have lost anyway? Of course. But we all know that oftentimes matches are won or lost during negotiations. One of Tony's defects is that he's too nice of a guy. And sometimes that's going to cause poor matchups. He needs a guy like Bill I. to manage his negotiations!

~Doc

Comment

• Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                          I agree 100% with the guys who advocate a shot clock for people like Dennis O. As a rule, I don't like shot clocks, since one-pocket --like baseball-- should not ordinarily have time limits.

However IMO Chohan in effect gave the nuts to Orcullo when he didn't stipulate against Orcullos's dawdling snail's pace play. Might he have lost anyway? Of course. But we all know that oftentimes matches are won or lost during negotiations. One of Tony's defects is that he's too nice of a guy. And sometimes that's going to cause poor matchups. He needs a guy like Bill I. to manage his negotiations!

~Doc
                          Why would you say that Doc? I seem to lose all my attempts with negotiating with you. I'm thinkin or HOPING that your just playin with me.

Have a good day.

Dr. Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by wincardona View Post
                            Why would you say that Doc? I seem to lose all my attempts with negotiating with you. I'm thinkin or HOPING that your just playin with me.

Have a good day.

Dr. Bill
                            Heh, heh. Well, we've kidded back and forth over the years, and I only kid with people who I admire. But there's no question that you have a keen mind when it comes to odds and their pragmatic application. You know all the good players' strengths and weaknesses, and can pick winners and losers with the best of them. IMO, as an observation, your long experience in all those areas would sure benefit a player like Chohan.

~Doc

Comment

• I watched most of this match and it just seemed like Orcollo's execution in every aspect of the game was stronger. His ball running is amazing. It seemed like the first and second days when Tony got to a shot he would try to break open the stack really quick. I wonder if some of that has to do with not having as good a cue ball as Orcollo...seems like Chohan feels more comfortable with the balls opened up so he has options when he runs out of shape. Orcollo's confidence in making difficult shots and playing position seems to allow him to pick off loose balls and only bump one or two out of the stack as he needs.

I watched a lot of their first match in CA and it did seem like Orcollo slow played that match escpecially the second and third days. In that match it seemed a little bit more like gamesmanship, like he was throwing some water on Tony' fire. In this match he seemed to play quicker overall, and I think his slowness is just his style more than a move. If anything I think it speaks to his focus and intensity, and how well he maintains those two things over long periods. Orcollo seems to just have such a killer instinct and that is really hard to beat. Would a shot clock have made a difference in the score? Maybe, but I still think Dennis would've come out on top. Though he is hard to watch sometimes.

It seems less a difference in physical health (I don't think Dennis is on the treadmill everyday) as it is just a pool regimen. Orcollo practices and plays non-stop, he seems to be either in stroke or in better stroke.

Tony's execution just didn't seem as strong in this match as in their first match (I didn't really see the second one). He missed a lot of one rail banks that he usually always makes. There was a lot of games where he beat Dennis to the shot but couldn't capitalize. Tony sure did kick well in this match though, he kicks so well at balls that are out in the middle of the table it's scary. Tony seems to be the only player the last few years to be willing to step up and play Alex or Dennis even, he is definitely fearless. And when he is playing his best I think its a closer match. Last thing I will say is Tony seems like a very humble person. When he posted on facebook after the match he gave all the credit to Dennis, even saying he learned from him. And though I thought he got the worst of the rolls by far, he didn't complain about that in his post at all...wish that were the case for all players.
                              Erik in Lancaster, PA

Comment

• he definitely was a good spot about losing. no shot clocks needed in pool. just dont give any action to the slow players and deny them entry into the tournaments. just watch how they change.

play them game by game and not sets. then just quit them when they play slow and tell them why. they will speed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X