what do you think of straight pool?

evergruven

Verified Member
I know this is a one pocket forum, but the games seem to have things in common philosophically, and in terms of play-
just curious what you all think on the subject, if you play, etc.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
evergruven, Howdy;

First game I learned to play, it was the early 60's.
The Hustler came out a few months later. You know
how it is, ... ya never forget yer first.

hank

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I know this is a one pocket forum, but the games seem to have things in common philosophically, and in terms of play-

How many "popular" pocket pool games are played in tournaments or for cash wagers? I count six. The six games are 8-ball, 9-ball, more recently 10-ball, one-pocket, bank pool, and straight pool.

Each game listed except two, 9-ball and 10-ball, have their own subtleties. I suppose the break in these two games is paramount to winning. In contrast, the break can also be a huge advantage in one pocket and 8-ball but less in straight pool and definitely in bank pool.

Each game listed requires safety play and a strategy in reference to playing balls to run out the game for a win. Nevertheless, all the games except bank pool require being on the correct side of the targeted object ball for position on the next object ball with the mindset of having minimum cue ball movement for position on the final ball that wins the game.

It seems that bank pool is the odd game amongst the six. But banking in one-pocket usually sets the good players from the best. Not so much in straight pool. If my recent memory is correct, I believe that John Schmidt's run of 626 balls is without one bank being played!

I appreciate the artfulness of each game to the other. I acknowledge the links of each game to the other. Learn them all. In closing, W.C. Fields is quoted as saying, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I say, "All pool games considered, I'd rather be playing one-pocket."

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I have only recently started enjoying straight pool, but only when I can’t get a onepocket game.

In closing, W.C. Fields is quoted as saying, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I say, "All pool games considered, I'd rather be playing one-pocket."

Or better yet J.R..... “I’d rather be playing one-pocket in Philadelphia” 😃

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Straight pool was the first game I started too -- in the 70's -- and I sort of measured my progress as a player by it in those days. But we probably played most of our straight pool "for the time" -- whereas 9-ball (or mostly 3-6-9 around here back then among us hackers lol) there was something on the 9 that made the game appealing :D

I still have old notes I took as I was learning, and watching great players when I could get out to a tournament. I wish I had carried on more with it -- or my ceiling was higher at least --that game sure helps your One Pocket game!!

The things that I got early from straight pool were of course the position skills, but also dead balls, and maybe most importantly for One Pocket, the safety strategy to try to maintain control of the table once you get control, or to wrestle control out of an exchange of safeties. If you are only playing it now to see how many balls you can run, you of course will still benefit in your shooting and position, but you will be missing out on the safety battles.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
When I first started playing pool, I used to throw the balls out on the table, trying not to tie any up and take BIH and just try to run them out or as many as I could. When I missed, I acted like I was my opponent doing the same thing. When the last ball was made, I would do the same thing and throw the balls out trying to move any that were touching each other.

I know that's not straight pool but it's close as far as pocket any ball in any pocket and I used to enjoy trying to see how many balls I could run (not many unfortunately), but was still fun!

On a side note, it's a game I need to play more or at least practice running balls and different patterns that will surely help my one hole game!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
IMO straight pool is the most difficult game; and it certainly is in terms of running multiple balls. No other game entails the mounting pressure as does 14.1. It takes serious concentration to achieve the patterns, and to acquire and accomplish the transitional break shot.

The game also can teach one to work the stack: to bump open clusters, to read possible combinations, and to push balls into more advantageous positions.

The 14.1 players from the 1930s thru the 1960s were experts at running balls and getting break shot position. They were almost business-like in their ability to ply the game. One rarely uses bank shots in straight pool, but other than that, the players must be expert at every other type of shot in pool. The "King" of games.

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I 2nd Doc's comments!
You get out of the game what you put into it. How discipline are you in approaching all the that the game offers, for this is the only way to reap its benefits. Mastering all the disciplines of the break, opening up balls, maneuvering balls, throw shots, kiss shots, and most important of all is playing exact positioning on your next intended ball.

Jim Rempe once ran out a set, I guess 125 or 150 or so, when his opponent needed only a few, but it was ugly, lucky, and he was all over the place. He stated; "I hated that run it was horrible, I'd rather run 30 balls and get the shape I intended.

Straight Pool can be played sloppily for there are so many shot options but for me that is when the game gets ugly, and there is nothing more boring than watching or playing a player that can not play their intended shape. And what is funny they think they are a straight pool player to boot.

When I was getting ready to play a straight pool match, I would in the days leading up to it, practice shape within an 1/2" - 1", if I didn't get it I would shoot the shot over and over till I did. This develops the fine muscles motor skills necessary to get the touch needed to pull off all these short shots.

Straight pool is a magnificent, beautiful, elogant game when played right.

Keith Thompson did a thread on the benefits of Straight Pool, I would suggest looking it up in the archives. Good luck! Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

The game also can teach one to work the stack: to bump open clusters, to read possible combinations, and to push balls into more advantageous positions.

~Doc

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

In the early to mid 70's I had the pleasure of watching all the greats play 14.1 during a yearly tournament held by Ray Abrams in his Livonia Cushion n Cue. It was amazing to watch and it's an amazing game.

I never had the composure to keep runs alive but played it a bit when I was younger. I think my high run was 60 and I couldn't match it today.

Dave

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I 2nd Doc's comments!
You get out of the game what you put into it. How discipline are you in approaching all the that the game offers, for this is the only way to reap its benefits. Mastering all the disciplines of the break, opening up balls, maneuvering balls, throw shots, kiss shots, and most important of all is playing exact positioning on your next intended ball.

Jim Rempe once ran out a set, I guess 125 or 150 or so, when his opponent needed only a few, but it was ugly, lucky, and he was all over the place. He stated; "I hated that run it was horrible, I'd rather run 30 balls and get the shape I intended.

Straight Pool can be played sloppily for there are so many shot options but for me that is when the game gets ugly, and there is nothing more boring than watching or playing a player that can not play their intended shape. And what is funny they think they are a straight pool player to boot.

When I was getting ready to play a straight pool match, I would in the days leading up to it, practice shape within an 1/2" - 1", if I didn't get it I would shoot the shot over and over till I did. This develops the fine muscles motor skills necessary to get the touch needed to pull off all these short shots.

Straight pool is a magnificent, beautiful, elogant game when played right.

Keith Thompson did a thread on the benefits of Straight Pool, I would suggest looking it up in the archives. Good luck! Whitey
This is about the most overlooked best practice in pool if you ask me.

beatle

Verified Member
biggest skill in any of the games after you get good is finding the right spot to want to leave the cueball that you can in reality do.

as far as straight pool it is a great gambling game if you just play it one rack at a time rather than to large x number of points. just like one pocket.

plus bad players will play with you as they seem to always in their mind have a chance to win each game unless you are stupid and run out everytime..

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by J.R.
In closing, W.C. Fields is quoted as saying, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia." I say, "All pool games considered, I'd rather be playing one-pocket."

Or better yet J.R..... “I’d rather be playing one-pocket in Philadelphia” 😃
Mitch, I'm sure W.C. Fields would have agreed with you that all things considered, if he had to play one-pocket, it would have been in Philadelphia. :heh

Here's a photo of W.C. Fields as he examines a cue stick for its straightness. Damn! :eek: I didn't notice before but you could be his doppelganger. :p

W.C. Fields looking at the straightness of a pool cue.jpg

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
14.1 is the "GRAND DADDY" of all the other games....."Line up straight pool" is the only game that precedes it. When playing competitive pool (other games) nobody says "hey don't worry about him ...he is just a straight pool player". If someone is good at 14.1, they can play ALL OTHER games with proficiency.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Originally Posted by J.R.

Mitch, I'm sure W.C. Fields would have agreed with you that all things considered, if he had to play one-pocket, it would have been in Philadelphia. :heh

Here's a photo of W.C. Fields as he examines a cue stick for its straightness. Damn! :eek: I didn't notice before but you could be his doppelganger. :p

View attachment 24833

I must say you are right in both counts J.R.! 😂

In other news, I found a snooker player who reminds me of you. Not sure why exactly but there’s just something about him.. 😃

jokerley

From
mem tn
straight pool

straight pool

Me too with the 70's when I started with my dad .I was 12 and we went to bowling alleys that had 4.5x9 gold crowns . My father taught me rotation and straight pool. ( the other games were for gamblers he say ) my brothers would come and play (6 btw). It was a great way to spend time with family.
What is so crazy is I still play on the same gold crowns in my local pool room today. I remember the first time I ever beat my dad in straight pool I think I was 13 ....that was cool. Still fond of straight pool

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
In other news, I found a snooker player who reminds me of you. Not sure why exactly but there’s just something about him.. 😃

[/QUOTE]

Mitch, "eye" definitely resemble that fella.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas

When I started playing in 1960 it was the game that was played as much as 8 or 9 ball. There was and is another game that you just don’t see anymore called “line-up”. I’ve only run into one other player that was familiar with line-up and he was a truck driver I played in Houston over 20 years ago.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I feel....14.1 is the root of all games. When you first run 14, then 31, then after a few years, if lucky you'll run over 50. If yah keep getting better, next plateau 80 balls, that's a tough one as a young man. Once you got into the 100's you felt your game had matured, and you were ready for most anyone, cept the ones you knew. The pond just got a little bigger, and your wallet would be a little flusher. We first learned 6 ball, then 9 and 14.1 as kids in the 60's in the burbs of Chicago. There were collegiate championships every yr. in straight pool in the 60's....Mosconi and Fats were ''still around''. Gordon Hart started peddling his Viking Cues in our room Swank Billiards in 1965 would be my guess. Pool was big in the early 60's.

baby huey

Verified Member
In 14.1 pool, patterns are key to constantly good play. You will often see players who are great shot makers, bankers and etc. fail miserably. John Schmidt's recent great run is an example of the skills required to play 14.1 well. His rotation game is good but not top speed IMO but his tenacity and thinking out patterns are second to none. 14.1 IMO is the cadillac of pool (are cadillac's still rated top car anymore?.) So if you want to be a pool player you better be able to figure out 14.1 at least somewhat to attain some semblance of the skills required in playing our game.