Carbon fiber shafts

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I've tried a few of the carbon fiber shafts and have not been happy with the ones I've tried. They all seem to have a pinging sounds that I don't like. Plus non seem to satisfy me for one pocket. Other games it's ok except for the sound.

While in Vegas I met up with Charlie Bryant and tested the Becue shaft and it feels like a wood shaft and doesn't have the metal sound. I decided to buy one because I liked the hit, sound and taper.
I'm wondering if those here that have played or play with a CF shaft what input do you have on them and if you are satisfied playing one hole with it. And for those that have tried the Becue what are your thoughts.
Thanks for your input.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I've tried a few of the carbon fiber shafts and have not been happy with the ones I've tried. They all seem to have a pinging sounds that I don't like. Plus non seem to satisfy me for one pocket. Other games it's ok except for the sound.

While in Vegas I met up with Charlie Bryant and tested the Becue shaft and it feels like a wood shaft and doesn't have the metal sound. I decided to buy one because I liked the hit, sound and taper.
I'm wondering if those here that have played or play with a CF shaft what input do you have on them and if you are satisfied playing one hole with it. And for those that have tried the Becue what are your thoughts.
Thanks for your input.

I test-fired the becue, but the first time I ran into Hillbilly after he got them was 3 days after I had ordered a CF LD from OB, FWIW, IYKWIM.

My impression on the test-fire was positive, but I'd need to try other diameters and other tips because the one I tried seemed perfect to me except that it seemed to have slightly more deflection than the all-wood OBs I've been playing with. Don't take that to the bank, but I'd suggest checking it out before you buy. I thought the sound and feel were A-OK.

I now have the "Fusion" from OB which is a carbon fiber core with a maple outer body. Plays very well, sounds good, but I either ordered one too fat for my taste (12mm) or they sent one bigger than that. I don't have calipers or whatever you need to check that so I'm just going by feel and memory about the size I like. If this is really a 12, I must like something under 11.75.

I may end up getting a becue also, because I think I've got my game down to the point that the right shaft is the final wrinkle... Besides, what's 5 or 6 Hunnert compared to all the moolah I figure to make?

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
becue/revo/cuetec carbon fiber are not the holy grail..YIKES - 01-04-2019, 08:34 AM
I HAVE TRIED ALL 3 AND HAVE RETURNED ALL 3...
actually since i posted that on azb you can add the mezz carbon fiber to the list
i did not see any magical energy transfer/super spin generation/or better low deflection properties than my ob1+
maybe i dont play good enough to appreciate cabon fiber shafts
but its still the indian not the arrow and for me this was not a better arrow
jmho
icbw

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Anyone who wants a Predator 12.9 I have one with very little use -- hit me up lol.

I wonder if those who are so impressed by them are mostly switching from regular wood shafts, rather than low deflection wood shafts, because I don't see that significant a difference in deflection between the carbon and say a Predator wood.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Approximately 2 months ago (right after the Philadelphia Members Only One-Pocket Tournament), I purchased a Revo 12.4 shaft which was factory fitted with Predator Victory soft tip. When purchasing the Revo shaft I learned that it does not screw onto the pins of certain custom cue sticks. Not to be deterred, I had to have the Revo shaft altered to fit the pin on my "Cognoscenti" cue made by Joe Gold of Chicago. I had the alteration completed within 24 hours by another local Chicagoland area cue maker who charged $50 for re-tapping the shaft to fit my cue. Since then I have played exclusively with the Revo shaft.

For me, the combination of the Revo shaft and the Cognoscenti cue provides a super solid hit without a hint of a ping sound. Is the Revo carbon fiber composite shaft magical? No. I still miss shots. Yet it "seems" to me that I have better control of the cue ball with and without spin. I am 100 percent satisfied that I made the switch to the Revo shaft.

Additionally, the sales person who sold me the shaft, a very solid player who also plays with a Revo shaft, advised that I purchase the 12.4 shaft instead of the 12.9 shaft. He explained that most of the positive feedback he has heard is for the 12.4 shaft. I had mentioned that I might change the cue tip to a Kamui super soft. He countered that I should first play with the Predator Victory soft tip since the Predator company had vested years in the making of this shaft and tip. It was great advice.

beatle

Verified Member
ive hit a couple and see no improvement for me. and some shots with excessive spin have to be relearned and become harder to do.

plus being what it is i would always wear a glove when using one. i dont think rubbing it on your skin for hours at a time might be good.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Love my Revo 12.4. It doesnt "ping" or I'm deaf. . I was at a tourney the other day and my stick slid off the side of the wall and the shaft bounced off the sharp edge of a formica table. Must have bounced 4 times off that table edge. It was crazy...lol didnt even scratch it..

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I bought a predator blak 4-5 with 12.4 revo a couple weeks ago I played with a regular 12.5 maple shaft before.
20 years ago I played with the first 314.

I decided to jump full force and switch even in gambling or leagur.

I have a terrible stance and fundamentals for those of you that have played with me already know that.
I honestly think it has an improvement which helps compensate for my flaw of not hitting center cue.
I added 1.4 oz of weight so that may factor in too. I am adjusting but I am hitting my super soft spin shots now that I was worried about losing with a CF.

I test hit my friends bequ before I received my predator and I agree it feels more like wood than the revo.

I got a quick release joint and i would recommend sticking with radial. I love it for the extension but i find it disjointing while playing some times.

I will report back in a month or so.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I bought a predator blak 4-5 with 12.4 revo a couple weeks ago I played with a regular 12.5 maple shaft before.
20 years ago I played with the first 314.

I decided to jump full force and switch even in gambling or leagur.

I have a terrible stance and fundamentals for those of you that have played with me already know that.
I honestly think it has an improvement which helps compensate for my flaw of not hitting center cue.
I added 1.4 oz of weight so that may factor in too. I am adjusting but I am hitting my super soft spin shots now that I was worried about losing with a CF.

I test hit my friends bequ before I received my predator and I agree it feels more like wood than the revo.

I got a quick release joint and i would recommend sticking with radial. I love it for the extension but i find it disjointing while playing some times.

I will report back in a month or so.

Thanks for responding. It's those super soft spin shots that I'm having trouble with using the Revo 12.4. This shot is so important in one pocket for me. I have tried to draw the cue ball and on some of those shots and it get away from me. It's a great shaft for playing rotation games like nine ball and ten ball.
I'll be waiting for your follow up report. thanks.

beatle

Verified Member
maybe 9 ball as you said frank. but those spin shots do much better with wood shafts. i dont know why but they definitely do.

i really saw no downside to the shafts but did notice that the precise spin shots wernt so precise. and at 500 for a shaft they dont return anything great.

but its like golf clubs. you get a new set and think it helps you play better. does it.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Before April, except for a couple of months using the original pre-314 Predator shaft (six segments) I bought in 1994, I've always been an old school high deflection wood shaft guy. I didn't much like my Predator, didn't like the feel or sound of my friend's Predators, and pretty much hated the idea of low deflection, preferring to continue using my aiming and spinning gimmicks that I had taught myself with the wood.

In April, on a complete whim, I embraced the Dark Side and bought a Revo 12.4 from a guy who had had it converted to fit my Jensen cue. Still not sure why I jumped in, but I could plug it right in and I figured I could sell it fast if I didn't like it.

I liked it. Immediately. It took me about 15 minutes to get over the initial differences so that I could apply my gimmicks successfully. I use back hand English on most shots that require spin as I find that it works well enough with my aiming process. This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but with the high deflection shafts, it seems I'd need to go a tip off of dead center to compensate for the deflection; with the Revo, I can get the same action with an eighth of a tip. I can use more than that, and do, and I've learned how to adjust for the much less deflection given off by the Revo. On some shots, rather than use back hand English, I could down on my aim line with the desired English, and still make the shots, but I'm more comfortable just using back hand to stay on the aim line.

One of the first benefits discerned quickly is long shot accuracy. For instance, there is a ball near my opponent's hole that I need to bank three rails towards my hole. Even if I'm 8 feet away, or jacked up, my chances of hitting the object ball where I think I'm aiming have gone way up since a slightly off center hit on the cue ball is not penalized as much as with the high deflection shafts. This phenomenon seems to be true with all long shots hit with center cue ball; my unintentional off center hits just go straighter.

People complain sometimes that it is hard to softly spin the cue ball, or to use the same kind of tender finesse they can get with a wood shaft. At first, I wasn't sure, but over time I'm feeling very comfortable with high spin soft shots for ducking and moving. Center spin shots don't swerve and I'm learning how to judge them with more precision.

Ever since I started using the Revo, I've been telling myself that I'll just get rid of it as soon as I'm not convinced anymore...still convinced and still using it. I even like the looks of it now since it goes very nicely with my ebony and black leather Jensen.

As for the sound, which at first seemed to be a higher pitched "ping", I don't even hear it anymore.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Before April, except for a couple of months using the original pre-314 Predator shaft (six segments) I bought in 1994, I've always been an old school high deflection wood shaft guy. I didn't much like my Predator, didn't like the feel or sound of my friend's Predators, and pretty much hated the idea of low deflection, preferring to continue using my aiming and spinning gimmicks that I had taught myself with the wood.

In April, on a complete whim, I embraced the Dark Side and bought a Revo 12.4 from a guy who had had it converted to fit my Jensen cue. Still not sure why I jumped in, but I could plug it right in and I figured I could sell it fast if I didn't like it.

I liked it. Immediately. It took me about 15 minutes to get over the initial differences so that I could apply my gimmicks successfully. I use back hand English on most shots that require spin as I find that it works well enough with my aiming process. This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but with the high deflection shafts, it seems I'd need to go a tip off of dead center to compensate for the deflection; with the Revo, I can get the same action with an eighth of a tip. I can use more than that, and do, and I've learned how to adjust for the much less deflection given off by the Revo. On some shots, rather than use back hand English, I could down on my aim line with the desired English, and still make the shots, but I'm more comfortable just using back hand to stay on the aim line.

One of the first benefits discerned quickly is long shot accuracy. For instance, there is a ball near my opponent's hole that I need to bank three rails towards my hole. Even if I'm 8 feet away, or jacked up, my chances of hitting the object ball where I think I'm aiming have gone way up since a slightly off center hit on the cue ball is not penalized as much as with the high deflection shafts. This phenomenon seems to be true with all long shots hit with center cue ball; my unintentional off center hits just go straighter.

People complain sometimes that it is hard to softly spin the cue ball, or to use the same kind of tender finesse they can get with a wood shaft. At first, I wasn't sure, but over time I'm feeling very comfortable with high spin soft shots for ducking and moving. Center spin shots don't swerve and I'm learning how to judge them with more precision.

Ever since I started using the Revo, I've been telling myself that I'll just get rid of it as soon as I'm not convinced anymore...still convinced and still using it. I even like the looks of it now since it goes very nicely with my ebony and black leather Jensen.

As for the sound, which at first seemed to be a higher pitched "ping", I don't even hear it anymore.

See? You really do know how to make sense if you want to. :D

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'm not a low deflection guy, but I have tried several types of CF shafts just out of curiousity. I tried a few including Predator Revo and found that the Jacoby Black was the most solid feel and the quitest.

Again, I'm not a user but I did try several.

FxYxDx

Verified Member
Meucci carbon pro 30 inches 11.75 kamui soft black

Meucci carbon pro 30 inches 11.75 kamui soft black

Recent my z2 cracked so i had to get a new shaft i tried the revo for a time and the Meucci i found the revo to be way too powerful and i didn’t like the taper also my was using an 11.5 and the 12.4 was too big also my cue was 30 inches. At first it annoying to hear the ping sound but i do not notice anymore. Also the revo was too powerful for me the Meucci has a wood joint that softens the hit. I believe that people hit a few balls with these shafts and don’t give hem a real chanc. I’ve played 8 hours a day for 10 days with mine in 4 tournaments a few one pocket marathons and then a few days of just testing shots and hitting balls. At first i could only do 70% of what i could do now i feel like 85% and i believe in another two weeks I’ll be at 110% the spin i get on the ball is insane. The energy transfer seems to be real and not hype. Idk why you would use a glove as i find the best thing about the cue is that it stays smooth and is easy to clean even when it’s extremely humid. I don’t think people really give them a chance.

At the same time the revo wasn’t for me so don’t just try the revo and lump them all in with that they are all very different with different specs.

One thing is for sure i won’t have to replace this due to a cracked shaft anytime soon.

Cheers!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Thanks for your input.

I’ve been playing with the 12.4 Revo for over a year. I won the MOT a month after buying the Revo. The little ping with the Revo doesn’t bother me. At Derby I bought a 12.0 Prime M. It squirted way more than the Revo and felt real spongy. I hated it and sold it a few weeks later.

I recently had a Kamui clear pad installed with a medium Searing Precision tip and it has all but eliminated the ping but without the squirt of the BeCue.

youngstown

Verified Member
Carbon fiber shafts

i dont think rubbing it on your skin for hours at a time might be good.

Yer supposed to play pool with it bruh 🤣

It's those super soft spin shots that I'm having trouble with...

Yes. Agreed. Everything else I like though, except the sound, and price. And look. But soft shots definitely get more spin and feel different.

What I like most is using inside English and not worrying about aiming adjustments!

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
santa sent me something a few weeks early - apparently he's convinced i need to try out the 12.4 ;)

(calipers - it's actually about 12.35 - still feels huge after playing with the z3 last couple/three years)

gonna hit some balls with it tomorrow....

predator shaft.jpg

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
just hit a rack of balls downstairs....i don't know....need to put some time in with it and give it a real chance....

it is indeed accurate center ball and about a tip outside of center ball - almost automatic (even for me...lol)

seems to get exponential more spin low hit

it's ugly, looks weird on my cue

even with the soft stock predator tip, seems to hit "hard"

putting a little throw on a long bank is a completely different animal

i'll give it a few hours this week - if i don't like it, will most likely become a dedicated bridge cue (it is stiff...)

:)

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
I have a brand new Jacoby carbon fiber shaft, 12.3 mm + radial joint. If anyone's interested, let me know.