Carbon fiber shafts

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
just hit a rack of balls downstairs....i don't know....need to put some time in with it and give it a real chance....

it is indeed accurate center ball and about a tip outside of center ball - almost automatic (even for me...lol)

seems to get exponential more spin low hit

it's ugly, looks weird on my cue

even with the soft stock predator tip, seems to hit "hard"

putting a little throw on a long bank is a completely different animal

i'll give it a few hours this week - if i don't like it, will most likely become a dedicated bridge cue (it is stiff...)

:)

I had a kamui clear pad put on mine. It softens the hit

youngstown

Verified Member
Carbon fiber shafts

After making a handful of these I’ll finally be able to start having a logo on them 😄

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
I seem to miscue with the tip on it from predator.
I am due for a tip, so I gave my shaft to Tim Prince to put on a Kamui SS black(not clear).
I will see if I get rid of the miscues. If I like it, I have another identical shaft that I will also change the tip on.

youngstown

Verified Member
Carbon fiber shafts

I am due for a tip, so I gave my shaft to Tim Prince to put on a Kamui SS black(not clear).

I will see if I get rid of the miscues. If I like it, I have another identical shaft that I will also change the tip on.

I like Kamui most, but haven’t tried many of the other premium tips...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I'm pretty sure that's what I have on mine too..it's not bad but I seem to miscue more than I should. It could be my form/execution but my ego wants it to be the tip. :)

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
I tried just about all the CF shafts, I liked the revo best but certain throw English just doesn't jive with it, it was eye opening though and I was always a anti LD shaft guy. Then a few Kielwood shafts appeared in my locale poolhall and once I hit it I was immediately sold. Do yourself a favor and order a kielwood shaft with a techno dud tip, its LD with all the perks of a normal shaft.

Last edited:

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
I've been playing with a 1st gen Predator shaft on a Schon butt for the last 13 years or so. I like the Kamui soft tip. I know this shaft will not last forever, so I was looking for a replacement.
In August at the APA Masters, Vegas, I had the chance to try a few carbon fiber shafts. The first one was the McDermott, not sure they were finished working on it? It felt like it had warts, rough spots, all over. It definitely deflected more than my 1st gen Predator. I hit some balls but knew early on I wouldn't buy this cue.
The 2nd stop was Cue-Tech. I hit a bunch of balls and really put it through the paces. I set up a shot to use inside English and make the cue ball go 3 rails afterward. I must have overcut this shot a dozen times until I finally zeroed it in. This tells me it was deflecting more than my 1st gen also. I really didn't care for the hit od this Cue-Tech either...hard to explain.
I wanted to test hit a Mezz but they did not have a booth set up.
My 3rd test was at the Predator booth. Let me preface this by saying I've had some bad dealings with Predator in the past and really didn't want to give them any business in the future. That being said....I hit a few balls with the 12.9 and instantly disliked it. It has a conical taper I just couldn't get past. It was like a baseball bat. After that, I tried the 12.4. I hit many balls and ran a few racks of 9 ball. I started doing some drill shots using inside English. I set up the same 3 railer as I did with the Cue-Tech and nailed it on the first try. I did it about 10 times in a row, it seems to have almost the same deflection as my first gen Predator.
Anyhoo, I ended up buying one of the roadline Predators with the 12.4 shaft. So far I haven't changed the factory tip, it's a medium....can't remember the brand. I'm somewhat pleased with the hit and deflection but in the back of my mind, I may still change the tip to a Kamui soft.
One thing I will say about carbon fiber shafts is the complete smoothness while stroking. It's like glass between your fingers, no bumps, dings or even chalk residue to stick to your hand. I can see why many players are switching.
I did stop by and hit some with the Becue also. It hit well but I couldn't get past the fact that they are made in Italy. If I needed some warranty repairs, I didn't want to be without a cue for a few months. There are just not enough Becue Dealers around my area in Arizona.
Ok, that's just my .02....take it for what it's worth.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I have tried cuetec/revo/be cue/Jericho
Carbon fiber
I like my ob1+ more
I am trying a borini which he claims is the lowest deflection of them all
We will see

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I have tried cuetec/revo/be cue/Jericho
Carbon fiber
I like my ob1+ more
I am trying a borini which he claims is the lowest deflection of them all
We will see

I don’t have any +OBs but my OB1, OB2, OB classic squirt more. My 314-3 might have a hair less squirt than my 12.4 Revo. The BeCue Prime M 12.0 and Cue-tec also squirted more.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don’t have any +OBs but my OB1, OB2, OB classic squirt more. My 314-3 might have a hair less squirt than my 12.4 Revo. The BeCue Prime M 12.0 and Cue-tec also squirted more.

lol dang Jim, have many shafts? hahah

Doesn't it mess your game up to play with different feeling hitting cues/shafts?

Just curious because it seems like it would to me!

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
lol dang Jim, have many shafts? hahah

Doesn't it mess your game up to play with different feeling hitting cues/shafts?

Just curious because it seems like it would to me!

I sold the Prime M and took a loss to get rid of it. The CueTec I borrowed and gave that pos back as fast as possible. Every once in a while I’ll pull out an OB or Z shaft and wonder how I ever played with them. That 314-3 plays real well but now I’m used to the smoothness of Revo. I guess if I used a glove the 314-3 would be fine.

beatle

Verified Member
i guess i will just fall behind in the game with my old fashioned wood shafts.
thats okay as i will require an extra ball or two from those using the black shafts. or will make them play with a wood one if they play me, see how they like that.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
i guess i will just fall behind in the game with my old fashioned wood shafts.
thats okay as i will require an extra ball or two from those using the black shafts. or will make them play with a wood one if they play me, see how they like that.

That’s funny right there:lol I’ve asked where you play at, so maybe if I have a trip to the area we could play some but you declined:p:D

beatle

Verified Member
sorry you are way too strong for me. but if i run into you i will shake your hand.
presently only larry gets to hit some balls around with me for fun because he buys me a pastrami sandwich and gives me a ride in his car..

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
sorry you are way too strong for me. but if i run into you i will shake your hand.
presently only larry gets to hit some balls around with me for fun because he buys me a pastrami sandwich and gives me a ride in his car..

Larry’s a good guy:)

youngstown

Verified Member
Carbon fiber shafts

...My 314-3 might have a hair less squirt than my 12.4 Revo...

Wow this is news to me. I thought the Revo was the lowest deflection shaft out. I’m not speaking from experience because I’ve never been one to go try the new thing, but this definitely surprised me.