Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name That Player

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by fred bentivegna
    I only dont know their last names. They are players of reknown. Jay Helfert, for example, knows every one of them. Black Nate is still around. I ran into him at this year's DCC tourney.

    The cutoff, remember was 1990. I was on the fade at that point myself.

    the Beard
    Black Nate's last name is Colbert. He's from the DC area and was a top-notch one pocket player. He's in his late 60s and still plays strong.

    Comment


    • #32
      Long Beach

      Originally posted by glee
      How about
      Junior Preston
      Mark Tadd
      Portland Don Watson and Long Beach
      Junior Preston, Dont know him. Mark Tadd, 1990 on the way up as I was on the way out. He did come to Chicago, but I was done and didnt play. Portland Don. Was never around him except for Johnston City. He didnt play bank and I was totally uninterested in playing him anything else. Long Beach: Where the hell did you dig him out of? He was around Chicago in the early 60s. Terrific player, and an even better drunk. Drank lethal amounts of hard liquor. Beat him playing banks in Bensingers.

      the Beard
      New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
      www.bankingwiththebeard.com

      Comment


      • #33
        Ok, you are the first winner

        Originally posted by Terry Ardeno
        Freddie,
        Counting Weenie Beanie now, do I have enough for the GosPool?
        Thanks,
        Terry
        Send me an address and a size.
        Incidentally, the Beard T-Shirt is now semi-famous. The judge presiding over the biggest trial in the country, the Brown's Chicken multiple murder trial is an old pal (Vincent Gaughn) and alumnus of Bensingers. He has promised me he will wear my Beard T under his robe during the trial. He also has the second biggest case to handle, he is the judge in the R Kelly kiddy porn trial. So wear your shirt proudly.

        the Beard
        New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
        www.bankingwiththebeard.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Take two

          Originally posted by BackPocket9Ball
          Jimmy Matts was most definitely a gambler and a great, great 9-ball player from Pennsylvania who committed suicide in the 90s.

          Russell Parsons was a very strong all-around player from Delaware. Doesn't play anymore. Gambled high.

          Dave Daya is/was a very strong 9-ball player from central Pennsylvania. Played lower pro-speed in the 80s and 90s. Still plays strong. he's about 60. He plays about Larry Price's speed and is about the same age.

          Don Polo was a strong straight pool player from ?New Jersey. Doesn't play anymore.
          I'll credit you with two, Jimmy Matts and Russell Parsons. I dont remember any of these guys in the big tourneys in the 70s and 80s.

          the Beard
          New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
          www.bankingwiththebeard.com

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by fred bentivegna
            Junior Preston, Dont know him. Mark Tadd, 1990 on the way up as I was on the way out. He did come to Chicago, but I was done and didnt play. Portland Don. Was never around him except for Johnston City. He didnt play bank and I was totally uninterested in playing him anything else. Long Beach: Where the hell did you dig him out of? He was around Chicago in the early 60s. Terrific player, and an even better drunk. Drank lethal amounts of hard liquor. Beat him playing banks in Bensingers.

            the Beard
            Fred this thread is getting to be a real kick!!!
            Junior ( Amarillo Slim ) Preston, hes in the Gospool, him and Don Willis together, probably the rarest photo on the planet. Where in the hell did you get that picture???
            How about Sleepy Bob Johnson??
            Long Beach was around Cochrans in the late 50's , along with his running buddy, Tommy the Sailor, and their protage Marvin ( Stomach ) Yakieani
            Wasn't much future in playing Portland Don nine ball, my high school buddy Bucktooth faded 14 racks in a row, never got to shoot, sent him and his dad Charlie back to East Oakland tapped out. If there was a man to duck playing nine ball, he had to be at the head of the list
            Last edited by glee; 05-06-2007, 07:03 PM.

            Comment


            • #36
              Why didnt you say Amarillo Slim?

              Originally posted by glee
              Fred this thread is getting to be a real kick!!!
              Junior ( Amarillo Slim ) Preston, hes in the Gospool, him and Don Willis together, probably the rarest photo on the planet. Where in the hell did you get that picture???
              How about Sleepy Bob Johnson??
              Long Beach was around Cochrans in the late 50's , along with his running buddy, Tommy the Sailor, and their protage Marvin ( Stomach ) Yakieani
              Wasn't much future in playing Portland Don nine ball, my high school buddy Bucktooth faded 14 racks in a row, never got to shoot, sent him and his dad Charlie back to East Oakland tapped out. If there was a man to duck playing nine ball, he had to be at the head of the list
              Sleepy Bob rings a real bell, but I need more reminders. I dont remember if he and I played or not. There is a photo of Tommy the Sailor next to Artie Bodendorfer in the GosPool. Long Beach must have taught him how to be a drunk because he was certainly a hideous, foul drunkard. What was Long Beach's name? Marvin I did not know.

              the Beard
              New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
              www.bankingwiththebeard.com

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                Sleepy Bob rings a real bell, but I need more reminders. I dont remember if he and I played or not. There is a photo of Tommy the Sailor next to Artie Bodendorfer in the GosPool. Long Beach must have taught him how to be a drunk because he was certainly a hideous, foul drunkard. What was Long Beach's name? Marvin I did not know.

                the Beard
                Long Beach's real name might be a little tough to get, I'm down to two sources that are sort of reliable, he was a child prodigty pool player kind of like Keith Mckredy, and Bucktooth. He was around the Bay Area in the late 40's early 50's doing the child bandit thing. Quite a character!!
                Sleepy Bob arrived at Cochrans in the late 50's along with his pal Legs. I watched VCR match between Jack Bret and Bob Osborne and Osborne is almost a clone of Sleepy Bob, cue ball control and speed. Hope that helps.
                Ive got the VCR of your match with Eddie Burton, so between this thread and the neckties on the VCR I'll be in stiches till about tomorrow after noon.
                Eddie Burton sort of resembles Richard ( the Canadian ) Franklin, a long time regular at Cochrans

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                  I give. You tweaked the list a little, but I'll give you credit for a win. Squirrel, Fats, Taylor, Lassiter were all at the bottom of the gambling careers in 1965 and didnt gamble much after that.

                  the Beard
                  Freddie,
                  Luther Lassiter won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in 141. in 1966 & 1967. He won the U.S. Open 14.1 Championship in 1970 & 1971 and finished 2nd in 1973. He also won the Johnston City 1 Pocket Championship in 1969, the 1967 & 1969 Johnston City 9 Ball Championships, the 1970 & 1971 Johnston City 14.1 Championships, The ALL AROUND TITLE in Johnston City in both 1967 & 1969. He also won the ALL AROUND CHAMPIONSHIP at the Stardust Open in 1971 as well as the 1971 Stardust Open 9 Ball Championship. To say that Wimpy was at the bottom of his gambling careeer may also be construed as "TWEAKING" it a little as well. In fact, since Luther didn't die until October 1988, and since he never had a job after leaving the U.S. Coast Guard as a teenager, all of his income came from gambling. With the exception of royalies from his book "Billiards for Everyone" that he had published in 1965 and his other book The Modern Guide to Pocket Billiards" that was published in 1964. If he was able to compete and WIN in the aforementioned fields, why would he NOT gamble, being that he was still a powerhouse?
                  Jesus said- I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                    The first guy that accumulates ten players I ducked or missed will win a Banking With The Beard T-shirt and a BWTB or The GosPool Book. This wont be easy. There are very few players that I didnt cross swords with. Further details will be posted by Steve very soon.

                    the Beard
                    Freddie,
                    I PROMISE I'm not trying to be a smart%#$ nor a pest. But, your previous post to me stated I won the shirt. Very much appreciated. But, I held off on getting the GosPool because I wanted it for after June 16. This is our 1st vacation since 1998 and I wanted to have it to read then. If I got it before then, I would have it done in a day or so. So here's my question...Did I win the GosPool also? If not, I still love you the same and I'll just ordet a copy.

                    If I did win the book (which I'm really hoping for, hint-hint) than would you mind inscibing something inside? Preferably something that when I die and my kids pick thru my books and read it, they won't think you hate me...
                    Jesus said- I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Bud Harris

                      Originally posted by glee
                      Long Beach's real name might be a little tough to get, I'm down to two sources that are sort of reliable, he was a child prodigty pool player kind of like Keith Mckredy, and Bucktooth. He was around the Bay Area in the late 40's early 50's doing the child bandit thing. Quite a character!!
                      Sleepy Bob arrived at Cochrans in the late 50's along with his pal Legs. I watched VCR match between Jack Bret and Bob Osborne and Osborne is almost a clone of Sleepy Bob, cue ball control and speed. Hope that helps.
                      Ive got the VCR of your match with Eddie Burton, so between this thread and the neckties on the VCR I'll be in stiches till about tomorrow after noon.
                      Eddie Burton sort of resembles Richard ( the Canadian ) Franklin, a long time regular at Cochrans
                      Maybe my recollection of Sleepy Bob, and now Legs, was a result of stories that Bud Harris would tell about Cochran's in Frisco. I'm sure I never played Legs. That might be why I thought I played 1 eyed Hank, because if I did I cant remember any particulars of the game. I'm sure I played a Hank that was on the road, but thats all I can recall. It was over 45 years ago.
                      The "Hat" Burton were good friends but would play whenever we ran into each other. For years I didnt know he was bald because he never took his hat off.

                      the Beard
                      New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                      www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Wimpy did little gambling in those years

                        Originally posted by Terry Ardeno
                        Freddie,
                        Luther Lassiter won the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in 141. in 1966 & 1967. He won the U.S. Open 14.1 Championship in 1970 & 1971 and finished 2nd in 1973. He also won the Johnston City 1 Pocket Championship in 1969, the 1967 & 1969 Johnston City 9 Ball Championships, the 1970 & 1971 Johnston City 14.1 Championships, The ALL AROUND TITLE in Johnston City in both 1967 & 1969. He also won the ALL AROUND CHAMPIONSHIP at the Stardust Open in 1971 as well as the 1971 Stardust Open 9 Ball Championship. To say that Wimpy was at the bottom of his gambling careeer may also be construed as "TWEAKING" it a little as well. In fact, since Luther didn't die until October 1988, and since he never had a job after leaving the U.S. Coast Guard as a teenager, all of his income came from gambling. With the exception of royalies from his book "Billiards for Everyone" that he had published in 1965 and his other book The Modern Guide to Pocket Billiards" that was published in 1964. If he was able to compete and WIN in the aforementioned fields, why would he NOT gamble, being that he was still a powerhouse?
                        You are much misinformed. The main reason Wimpy stopped gambling was that he did not want a blemish on his reputation. He was regarded as the World's Nineball champ. He was more interested in giving exhibitions at $150 a pop as the reigning world champ than taking a chance of getting beaten in a short set and having his reputation tarnished. When Weanie Beanie, wanting to stake him, begged Wimpy to come to Grand Rapids and play Harold Worst nineball for 5k, Wimpy refused. He went on an exhibition tour instead. He was certainly not afraid of Worst, but he didnt want to give anybody a cheap shot at his title. Plus Wimpy knew that Worst had just dismantled his old road partner, Don Willis playing nineball. Not getting beat in public was pretty much the same reason Fats would only play to a selected audience in Johnston City. To see Fats play Ronnie or Richie Florence you had to be invited.

                        In all the years I spent at Johnston City, and I was there every year but the first, I only know of Wimpy gambling one time. The hustlers trapped him into giving Ronnie Allen the seven ball. Ronnie had a good game but he never got to shoot, Wimpy poured racks on him, and Ronnie had to quit. The other champion who I never seen gamble down there was Eddie Taylor. He played in a few ring nineball games but was quickly barred out. The main reason those two never played is nobody really wanted to play with them. There was plenty other action so the players just left those two alone. Wimpy would play if forced, but the bet would have to be a minimum of 10k, so the players usually looked for greener pastures. Example: when Incardona was rated the top nineball player in the country, he asked Wimpy (in front of me) for the eight ball. Wimpy didnt want anyone taking any cheap shots at him so his offer was to play 20 games ahead for 10 or 20k. He offered Cardone a four game head start to the 20 ahead. Billy declined.
                        That's the real history of those years, my friend.

                        the Beard
                        New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                        www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          I said you got the book

                          Originally posted by Terry Ardeno
                          Freddie,
                          I PROMISE I'm not trying to be a smart%#$ nor a pest. But, your previous post to me stated I won the shirt. Very much appreciated. But, I held off on getting the GosPool because I wanted it for after June 16. This is our 1st vacation since 1998 and I wanted to have it to read then. If I got it before then, I would have it done in a day or so. So here's my question...Did I win the GosPool also? If not, I still love you the same and I'll just ordet a copy.

                          If I did win the book (which I'm really hoping for, hint-hint) than would you mind inscibing something inside? Preferably something that when I die and my kids pick thru my books and read it, they won't think you hate me...
                          Even with the tweaking of Squirrel, Taylor and Wimpy, I will concede shirt and book. I still need a size and address.

                          the Beard
                          New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                          www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                            You are much misinformed. The main reason Wimpy stopped gambling was that he did not want a blemish on his reputation. He was regarded as the World's Nineball champ. He was more interested in giving exhibitions at $150 a pop as the reigning world champ than taking a chance of getting beaten in a short set and having his reputation tarnished. When Weanie Beanie, wanting to stake him, begged Wimpy to come to Grand Rapids and play Harold Worst nineball for 5k, Wimpy refused. He went on an exhibition tour instead. He was certainly not afraid of Worst, but he didnt want to give anybody a cheap shot at his title. Plus Wimpy knew that Worst had just dismantled his old road partner, Don Willis playing nineball. Not getting beat in public was pretty much the same reason Fats would only play to a selected audience in Johnston City. To see Fats play Ronnie or Richie Florence you had to be invited.

                            In all the years I spent at Johnston City, and I was there every year but the first, I only know of Wimpy gambling one time. The hustlers trapped him into giving Ronnie Allen the seven ball. Ronnie had a good game but he never got to shoot, Wimpy poured racks on him, and Ronnie had to quit. The other champion who I never seen gamble down there was Eddie Taylor. He played in a few ring nineball games but was quickly barred out. The main reason those two never played is nobody really wanted to play with them. There was plenty other action so the players just left those two alone. Wimpy would play if forced, but the bet would have to be a minimum of 10k, so the players usually looked for greener pastures. Example: when Incardona was rated the top nineball player in the country, he asked Wimpy (in front of me) for the eight ball. Wimpy didnt want anyone taking any cheap shots at him so his offer was to play 20 games ahead for 10 or 20k. He offered Cardone a four game head start to the 20 ahead. Billy declined.
                            That's the real history of those years, my friend.

                            the Beard
                            Freddie,
                            This is fascinating to hear. I never knew or heard from any source that he ever did more than a handful of exibitions in his life. The book "Hustler Days" by R.A. Dyer is very biographical on Lassiter (and Jersey Red & Fats) and it was never mentioned once. I have every Sport's Illistrated article on Lassiter from the early 60's on, as well as all the material on him from Billiards Digest, Pool & Billiard Magazine and the National Billiard News and I never read or heard that before, (that he did so many exibitions to supplement his income).
                            I do know for a fact that he "retired" from major tournament pool in 1975.

                            Funny stuff on Incardona.

                            Terry
                            Jesus said- I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by fred bentivegna
                              Even with the tweaking of Squirrel, Taylor and Wimpy, I will concede shirt and book. I still need a size and address.

                              the Beard
                              Freddie,
                              I sent you a rather lengthly e-mail to bankingwiththebeard@comcast.net.
                              Thank you very, very much not only for the items but for answering all these posts. I learned a lot of new things about some of the players. And thanks for loving our great sport like you do.
                              Your friend,
                              Terry
                              Jesus said- I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I happened to be around at that time

                                Originally posted by Terry Ardeno
                                Freddie,
                                This is fascinating to hear. I never knew or heard from any source that he ever did more than a handful of exibitions in his life. The book "Hustler Days" by R.A. Dyer is very biographical on Lassiter (and Jersey Red & Fats) and it was never mentioned once. I have every Sport's Illistrated article on Lassiter from the early 60's on, as well as all the material on him from Billiards Digest, Pool & Billiard Magazine and the National Billiard News and I never read or heard that before, (that he did so many exibitions to supplement his income).
                                I do know for a fact that he "retired" from major tournament pool in 1975.

                                Funny stuff on Incardona.

                                Terry
                                Keep in mind R A Dyer got his info second hand. I was there when those things happened. $150 a day was a big buck in the 60s.

                                the Beard
                                New stuff on my site. 100s of pgs. of pool goodness
                                www.bankingwiththebeard.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X