Name That Player

jay helfert

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
Which Jimmy King are you refering to, Jay? There are at least two that I know of. the left handed one from AL and the right handed one from Oak Park Billiards in Chicago. Is there another?.........Eddie Mathews, from Milwaukee??? He was their HOF third baseman. What about Erman Bullard and Billy Weir, both from TX?

I was thinking of the one from Alabama, a two fisted gambler. Billy Weir and Erman Bullard belong on here and so does Bucky Bell and Judex James.

jay helfert

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Freddie, I suspect Jay remembers every gambling session he ever had. But remember he was on the natch, so he's still got most of his brain left...:D

Doc
once went to a 30-year-long party

I remember all the guys who beat me! It's funny Doc, sometimes I'm at a tournament and a guy will walk up to me and start talking about when we played. For the life of me I don't remember anything about it. My stock answer is "How much did it cost me?" And almost always they laugh and I know I got them. The guys that beat you are usually looking to do it again, so they don't say boo.

Here's a few that I donated to. Larry Lisciotti, Billy Johnson (Wade Crane), Gabby, Peter Gunn, Youngblood, Pancho, Ray Booth, Frisco Jack, Jimmy Fusco, Joey Spaeth, Little Al and Mario. As a kid in New York, I played Jersey Red, Johnny Irish, Richie from the Bronx, Rex and New York Blackie. They loved me. I'd get paid on Friday and be broke by Sunday. Every week for six months. But that is where I learned how to play. Not just to shoot balls in the hole.

A few good players that I got a win over included Cuban Joe, Jimmy Fusco, Billy Ray, Popcorn, Monk, Dan Louie, Keith (8 and the break), Jimmy Reid (with the 8), Jim Rempe (Banks), Danny D. (8-5 thank you), Willie Munson, Artesia Kenny, Ronnie Allen (with 8-4), Gary Abood (Banks, after losing in One Hole), Larry Evans (the King of the Ghetto, Banks again), Mike Lebron (Bank tourney), the great Greg Sullivan, Harry Platis, the Lizard, Freddie (in a Bank tourney), Ernesto and Little Al. I could name a 100 others but they are all shortstops and no names, but their money was good.

Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
jay helfert said:
If Grady messed with Jack long enough, Jack would get the cash. He was good that way, out maneuvering people. And he played jam up One Pocket.
And good 9-Ball too.

I dont remember what Grady gave him. I was the only person watching, Jack and I dont get along(back then,were cool now), and Jack was pissed I was there on the rail not saying a word. Jack fired 2 barrels and Grady beat him within an hour, I dont remember the bet, Jack lost about 800, I think they were playing by the game I just cant remember. it was fast and the only time I saw Jack gamble, ever. this was in 93 and yes Jack did move real good, thats for sure. Thats what suprised me about him playing Grady, I know he wasnt fishing-they never played again that i'm aware of-in that time period.

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Oak Park Billiards

Oak Park Billiards

hemicudas said:
Which Jimmy King are you refering to, Jay? There are at least two that I know of. the left handed one from AL and the right handed one from Oak Park Billiards in Chicago. Is there another?.........Eddie Mathews, from Milwaukee??? He was their HOF third baseman. What about Erman Bullard and Billy Weir, both from TX?

You know Bill, I cant recall if I played Jimmy King or not. I must have. I also am pretty sure I played Billy Weir, but I cant recall any details of that either. Erman Bullard I do not know. The Eddie Mathews I mentioned was certainly not the Braves HOF 3rd baseman. Many of the memory gaps can be blamed, as Doc says, on the non-natch periods in my career. While not a confirmed regular, I did "jelly-up" on occasion.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
One for you, Doc

One for you, Doc

gulfportdoc said:
There's a black player named Eddie Brown in New Orleans. Been around there for years. Plays all games strong-- about like Lil John, only better at banks.

Doc

You got one, Doc. I dont think I ever played Eddie Brown.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Two more, Jay

Two more, Jay

jay helfert said:
I was thinking of the one from Alabama, a two fisted gambler. Billy Weir and Erman Bullard belong on here and so does Bucky Bell and Judex James.

Bucky Bell was in the loop and we never played, but I dont recall Judex James.

the Beard

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
Did you ever play a guy named Ed "The Locksmith" Dove? he played here in St.Petersburg at the Sportsman's Lounge and Mastry's. He was a great all around player and was ahead of everyone else in 1P around here in the 70's and 80's.

How bout Dale Nichols the owner of the Flamingo here in St.Petersburg?

What about Jeff "Piano Man" Brinkman, out of Baltimore, relocated at the Flamingo for a few years and is now back in Baltimore. This was pretty recent in the last few years, so it does not count.:)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
fred bentivegna said:
Bucky Bell was in the loop and we never played, but I dont recall Judex James.

the Beard

Did you ever play Dave Knottingham? We were good friends-i miss him. He taught me alot.

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
I Heard That I Passed On Last Year (don't tell the Dealer)

I Heard That I Passed On Last Year (don't tell the Dealer)

hemicudas said:
Do you know if Ernie Sellars is still alive, Smorg? I busted Vicksburg, MS with him one night.

I 'think' I heard that he's passed on but, you might ask JAM.
Doug

jay helfert

Verified Member
Fatboy said:
I dont remember what Grady gave him. I was the only person watching, Jack and I dont get along(back then,were cool now), and Jack was pissed I was there on the rail not saying a word. Jack fired 2 barrels and Grady beat him within an hour, I dont remember the bet, Jack lost about 800, I think they were playing by the game I just cant remember. it was fast and the only time I saw Jack gamble, ever. this was in 93 and yes Jack did move real good, thats for sure. Thats what suprised me about him playing Grady, I know he wasnt fishing-they never played again that i'm aware of-in that time period.

Sounds like Jack was on short money. He would bet high though, trying to make a score.

jay helfert

Verified Member
One more glaring omission is Harley Bryan a high roller who loved to play most anything. I heard he owns a poolroom in Florida now. I'll bet you DID play him, just left him off your list. I get bonus points for finding someone you played but forgot about.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Check the list

Check the list

Smorgass Bored said:
How about Ernie Sellars or Flyboy ?
Doug

Check Steve Booths list. Jimmy Flyboy Spears is definitely on it. I played him 9 to 7 at North Shore Billiards and lost 22 hundred.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
No, no and no

No, no and no

CaptainHook said:
Did you ever play a guy named Ed "The Locksmith" Dove? he played here in St.Petersburg at the Sportsman's Lounge and Mastry's. He was a great all around player and was ahead of everyone else in 1P around here in the 70's and 80's.

How bout Dale Nichols the owner of the Flamingo here in St.Petersburg?

What about Jeff "Piano Man" Brinkman, out of Baltimore, relocated at the Flamingo for a few years and is now back in Baltimore. This was pretty recent in the last few years, so it does not count.:)

Dont know them fellars.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fat Harley Bryant

Fat Harley Bryant

jay helfert said:
One more glaring omission is Harley Bryan a high roller who loved to play most anything. I heard he owns a poolroom in Florida now. I'll bet you DID play him, just left him off your list. I get bonus points for finding someone you played but forgot about.

Fat Harley and I are old pals, but for the life of me I cant remember if we ever played. We were around each other plenty. He spent a lot of time with Jack Cooney.

the Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
jay helfert said:
In California John Henderson never passed up a game with anyone.

I didn't duck many, but I didn't have to travel as far as you guys. Most of them came to me. Looking at both of your lists, I can count alt least a hundred I have played, either gambling or tournaments. That's quite a few, but not that many when you are going back over 40 years. In the 70's and early 80's I had an insurance agency a few miles down the road from the Golden Cue. Players came, they called me and I came down and matched up doing something. I booked a lot of losers but I was in action and they didn't all win. Billy Ray Suden showed me where I was in his book after he beat on me. Play the big guy with glasses, it said. He will lose a few hundred. A few days later he was at Hard Times in Costa Mesa trying to match up with Keith. He wanted me to go in with him getting the 7 going 7 ahead for a thousand. When I declined, he got hot and told me I was stupid because no one could give him the 7. Keith beat him in about 30 minutes, and while I didn't have any action on it, I had a litle smile on my face on the way home. Once I see the names I can remember almost every win and loss, where and how much, so I guess I didn't kill too many brain cells over the years. You guys keep it up, this is a great thread. I'm sorry I never ran into Freddy in So. CA, but they kept me in action close to home.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA
Did you ever tangle with Freddy Salem at the Capitol Social Club in Oak Park, MI? How about Dave Bush? John McCue (California John)? How about "Jew" Paul Brusloff, surely you guys must have played. How about "Little" Tommy Lazlo, Tom Gianetti, Cletus, Watson, or John Beyerline?

Martin

fred bentivegna said:
Dont know him Fatboy.

the Beard