Name That Player

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Check the list on the first page of this thread

Check the list on the first page of this thread

jazznpool said:
Did you ever tangle with Freddy Salem at the Capitol Social Club in Oak Park, MI? How about Dave Bush? John McCue (California John)? How about "Jew" Paul Brusloff, surely you guys must have played. How about "Little" Tommy Lazlo, Tom Gianetti, Cletus, Watson, or John Beyerline?

Martin

Freddy Salem, and Jew Paul are already on Steve Booths list on page 1 of this thread. California John, Watson, Cletus, and Barline (I think thats how you spell it) need to be added to that list. We played. California John and I played often.
Dave Bush, Tommy Lazlo, Tom Gianetti I dont know them.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Booked plenty of losers also

Booked plenty of losers also

jrhendy said:
jay helfert said:
In California John Henderson never passed up a game with anyone.

I didn't duck many, but I didn't have to travel as far as you guys. Most of them came to me. Looking at both of your lists, I can count alt least a hundred I have played, either gambling or tournaments. That's quite a few, but not that many when you are going back over 40 years. In the 70's and early 80's I had an insurance agency a few miles down the road from the Golden Cue. Players came, they called me and I came down and matched up doing something. I booked a lot of losers but I was in action and they didn't all win. Billy Ray Suden showed me where I was in his book after he beat on me. Play the big guy with glasses, it said. He will lose a few hundred. A few days later he was at Hard Times in Costa Mesa trying to match up with Keith. He wanted me to go in with him getting the 7 going 7 ahead for a thousand. When I declined, he got hot and told me I was stupid because no one could give him the 7. Keith beat him in about 30 minutes, and while I didn't have any action on it, I had a litle smile on my face on the way home. Once I see the names I can remember almost every win and loss, where and how much, so I guess I didn't kill too many brain cells over the years. You guys keep it up, this is a great thread. I'm sorry I never ran into Freddy in So. CA, but they kept me in action close to home.

Since I was not careful who I played while on the road, I booked plenty of losers. Especially after I discovered cocaine and speed. I had a reputation of being a "loose" gambler. However, that was not the case on home court, Bensinger's. I had a batting average like Ty Cobb in Bensinger's. Very few losses to top players down there. In truth, very few top players ventured into Bensingers when they were in Chicago. They usually stayed in the outlying poolrooms or bars. Keep in mind, if they somehow got past me, Artie and Mexican Johnny were waiting in the wings. Guys like Grady, Steve Cook, David Howard,etc., came in once, took a beating and never returned. They would play elsewhere, but Bensinger's was a cross-off. And forget about getting any road man to try us on any one of the twelve 5 x 10's that were in the joint. Billy Incardona and Cole Dickson were exceptions to that rule. Oh yeah, a sixteen year old Steve Mizerak, Jersey Red, and Baby Face Whitlow also had no difficulty with the 5 x 10s. The muggy, oxygen thin air down there was worth at least a ball.

the Beard

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
jay helfert said:
Sounds like Jack was on short money. He would bet high though, trying to make a score.

Jay, I think your right, he was hot, I mean real hot about losing and only 2 barrels, he didnt even try to negoitate a better game, I'm sure Grady would have because he ran right through him. I didnt see Jack for A long time agter that and I was at the pool room all day everyday then. Grady barely had his cue put together he beat him so fast.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Grady said:
What Jack are you talking about? And who won? I can't tell by your thread.

Jack Perkins, and you won in less than an hour in the afternoon, in Cue-Topia Fred & Marys room in Vegas in late 92 or earily 93, you were in town for a month or there abouts, we spoke many times. We have never played each other. You might know me if you seen me-we sat at the bar just talking watching TV a few times etc, you were showing me and David Lee(counter man-chinese guy,my good friend) some shots more than once, Rex Cannon was there showing you some stuff, ED Kelly one night. etc. If you saw me you might recognize me-thats not important though. I took some time away from pool and now I'm back, its so good to see your doing great, thats whats important. Your efforts in 1P are historic and giving the old-school retired players their credit is wonderful with the HOF etc.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
MR. Beard,

I was late with Jack Perkins but honest to God that was the first player to pop into my mind, I'm in Germany stuck in a hotel room recovering from a back proceedure with alot of time to think, and I have done just that, so here it goes,

Bill Teeter, from Vallejo Ca he is a good player from the Bay Area for many many years. He is well known there.

How did I do?

Last edited:

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Jack Perkins

Jack Perkins

I played Jack 8 to 6 that time you're talking about. That was just before I played Efren for $10,000. he beat me 11 to 4. I didn't play well in that match.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bill Teeter?

Bill Teeter?

Fatboy said:
MR. Beard,

I was late with Jack Perkins but honest to God that was the first player to pop into my mind, I'm in Germany stuck in a hotel room recovering from a back proceedure with alot of time to think, and I have done just that, so here it goes,

Bill Teeter, from Vallejo Ca he is a good player from the Bay Area for many many years. He is well known there.

How did I do?

I never got up to the Bay area, So Cal only. I dont know of the guy, but outside of Vallejo who does?

the Beard

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
fred bentivegna said:
I never got up to the Bay area, So Cal only. I dont know of the guy, but outside of Vallejo who does?

the Beard

they know him in SF, Sacramento, he is a strong player who's been at it for 40 years, he isnt a champion, thats obvious but he has made some big scores over the years. he wolud come to Sacremento and be in action while the tournment was going. He is the real deal.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Grady said:
I played Jack 8 to 6 that time you're talking about. That was just before I played Efren for $10,000. he beat me 11 to 4. I didn't play well in that match.

yes exactly 8 ot 6, you almost pitched a shut-out. I couldnt remember the bet or spot, but now that you mention it I do remember the spot, it was over in a blink of the eye.

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Dont know him Fatboy.

the Beard

Dave Nottingham was a rounder who used to peddle high end cues, and play a little 9-Ball and One Pocket, mostly out West. He didn't usually play too high (about like me I guess), two or three hundred dollar 9-Ball sets or 50 a game One Hole. He was a lifetime shortstop. Had a heart attack and died about 5-6 years ago. Nice guy, and not that old, maybe 50 or so.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Fatboy said:
Jay, I think your right, he was hot, I mean real hot about losing and only 2 barrels, he didnt even try to negoitate a better game, I'm sure Grady would have because he ran right through him. I didnt see Jack for A long time agter that and I was at the pool room all day everyday then. Grady barely had his cue put together he beat him so fast.

Deleted, my error.

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

I think I mentioned him too, because he was such a prolific West coast player in the 70's and 80's. Billy played everybody he could find with a cue. One of those kind of guys. Hell, I must have played him ten times. Every time we saw each other, I just screwed my cue together.

jay helfert

Verified Member
CaptainHook said:
Thought I would throw in this old pic of "WD" Bill Stigall at Bakers back in the day.:)

And that's the Goose himself looking on, ready to pounce!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The Goose?

The Goose?

jay helfert said:

Jay, that guy in the background is definitely not Benny the Goose Conway Sr.
I have seen him before, but dat aint da Goose. How much would you pay for Stigall's hair? Does he still have it?

the Beard

Congratulations, you are the second chap to win a Banking With The Beard T-Shirt along with Terry Ardeno. I assume Large would be ok?

Smorgass Bored

Verified Member
From
Tampa
Originally Posted by jay helfert

fred bentivegna said:
I have seen him before, but dat aint da Goose.
the Beard

I think it looks more like Jerry Bento than Goose, but alot of people had that similar look back then.... imo
Doug

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
fred bentivegna said:
I have seen him before, but dat aint da Goose. How much would you pay for Stigall's hair? Does he still have it?

the Beard

Congratulations, you are the second chap to win a Banking With The Beard T-Shirt along with Terry Ardeno. I assume Large would be ok?

Bill Stigall died Aug. 20, 2005 Age 61
after having heart surgery. Bill had settled in Plant City, a small town just east of Tampa, Fl., where he had a construction company.