Name That Player

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
fred bentivegna said:
Jay, that guy in the background is definitely not Benny the Goose Conway Sr.
I have seen him before, but dat aint da Goose. How much would you pay for Stigall's hair? Does he still have it?

the Beard

Congratulations, you are the second chap to win a Banking With The Beard T-Shirt along with Terry Ardeno. I assume Large would be ok?

Here is a picture of "The Goose"

Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
jay helfert said:
Dave Nottingham was a rounder who used to peddle high end cues, and play a little 9-Ball and One Pocket, mostly out West. He didn't usually play too high (about like me I guess), two or three hundred dollar 9-Ball sets or 50 a game One Hole. He was a lifetime shortstop. Had a heart attack and died about 5-6 years ago. Nice guy, and not that old, maybe 50 or so.

Jay,

Dave and I were good friends, and your profile of him is very accurate, He looked like a school teacher or something not a pool player and only played in easy games, the 4 years I spent with him in Vegas. He awalys seemed to have 1 or 2 expensive cues for sale, his personal cue was a beatiful Tad worth 4-5K 15 years ago. Fred Guarino told me he passed away from food poising something about bad fish, it was suspicious story, Dave at the time had a few very expensive cues and watches(my other hobbie and Daves) and when they found the body everything was gone. He didnt have any family except an Aunt in Wy. with a small house he would go to every june -aug he was in route there when he passed away. Fred nor I believed the food poisn story, I lost a good friend, he moved good and taught me alot I took outside the pool hall in life.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
jay helfert said:
I think I mentioned him too, because he was such a prolific West coast player in the 70's and 80's. Billy played everybody he could find with a cue. One of those kind of guys. Hell, I must have played him ten times. Every time we saw each other, I just screwed my cue together.

yet again your spot on Billy Teeter was awalys looking for a game, he made a huge score just a couple years ago, it was WELL into the 5-figure area- I wont say as its not my business, but it wasnt from a pool player, it was from a 45 year old guy who turned into a tweeker(speed) at that age and had $$$, they worked on setting up the game for almost a year. I suspect he inheareted(SP?) a pile and it changed him for the worse, I saw the "Mark" play about 6 months before the score and they said he lost 80 pounds, he makes Grady look over weight, he couldnt make 2 balls in a row. They took their time and made their move when it was right, Billy aint a bargain to play, he is strong and gets stronger for more $$$.

He was making cues for a while and they play good. He bought a pool room sold it, then a bar with pool tables and ran that for a few years, he was doing very good with it and sold it, now he is back fiddling around with making cues and looking for action, he is a good guy and friend. He dosent travel far though, never comes to LA, Vegas etc.

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Captain Hook,

Thanks for edifying us with those neat pictures. It's nice to be able to look back and see how young everybody looked when they were...young :)

Man, how fast time flies. I remember reading about lots of theses guys back in the early 1970's when I first fell in love with pool. Some I've met in person, many I have not. But when I see "flash back" photos, it brings back a lot of fond memories.

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
Terry Ardeno said:
Captain Hook,

Thanks for edifying us with those neat pictures. It's nice to be able to look back and see how young everybody looked when they were...young :)

Man, how fast time flies. I remember reading about lots of theses guys back in the early 1970's when I first fell in love with pool. Some I've met in person, many I have not. But when I see "flash back" photos, it brings back a lot of fond memories.

No problem, I like remembering old times. I was just a kid back in the 70's
when I started playing at Bakers and I met so many folks back then I can't even remember, sometimes I did not even know who they were. :)

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Terry Ardeno said:
Captain Hook,

I agree the old pictures are wonderful

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
OK, I was going to leave it alone,,,,,,,,,But.

OK, I was going to leave it alone,,,,,,,,,But.

But I can't any longer. The first few I have mentioned on AZ. Given time I could name many more.

A few names I have already mentioned
1. Cleo Vaughn
2. Billy Weir
3. Erman Bullard
4. Dan Louie
5. Rich Geiler
6. Mike Bandy
7. Jeff Sergent
8. Lambert Luvier
9. Terry Bell
10 Bill Stack
11.John Henry Neal
12.Boston Joey
13.Tommy Sanders
14.Jimmy King AL
15.Jimmy King IL
16.Scotty Townsend
17.Jerry Bento
18.Floyd Baxter
19.Rosey
20.Bill Rowsey
21.Tom “Old Has Been” Ferry
22.Ernie Sellers
23.Al Werline
24.Bob Dancer
23.Marcus Collier
24.Walter Woppie Gaddy
25.Buttermilk Brown
26.Frank Fast Frankie Haines
27.Al Alley Oop Orear
28.Dave Yeager
29.Joe Lil Joe Villalpando
30.Jerry Brock

Last edited:

Ktown

Verified Member
Freddy,

Did you ever match up playing anything with Weldon? I know he was primarily a 9 baller and liked the small tables but I was wondering if you ever got down.

Do you happen to know Berle Gabbard as well. He had a room in town here for a number of years. He wasn't a top level player but he liked to bet it up some using the rails from what I have been told. He hung around w/ Red up in Detroit at times.

Just curious about a couple of guys I know from around town.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
fred bentivegna said:
You know Bill, I cant recall if I played Jimmy King or not. I must have. I also am pretty sure I played Billy Weir, but I cant recall any details of that either. Erman Bullard I do not know. The Eddie Mathews I mentioned was certainly not the Braves HOF 3rd baseman. Many of the memory gaps can be blamed, as Doc says, on the non-natch periods in my career. While not a confirmed regular, I did "jelly-up" on occasion.

the Beard

Fred I know Billy Weir spent some time at the Chgo Billiard Cafe I'm not sure who he played but you played most road players who came to table 9 so it
would surprise me if you didnt matchup with him. I think nineball was his strong suit though. Phil Welch

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You got a bunch

You got a bunch

hemicudas said:
But I can't any longer. The first few I have mentioned on AZ. Given time I could name many more.

A few names I have already mentioned
1. Cleo Vaughn no
2. Billy Weir, probably
3. Erman Bullard, no
4. Dan Louie, no
5. Rich Geiler, yes
6. Mike Bandy, yes
7. Jeff Sergent, no
8. Lambert Luvier, no
9. Terry Bell, no
10 Bill Stack, no
11.John Henry Neal, no
12.Boston Joey, no
13.Tommy Sanders, no
14.Jimmy King AL, no
15.Jimmy King IL, probably
16.Scotty Townsend, no
17.Jerry Bento, probably
18.Floyd Baxter, yes
19.Rosey Rosenblatt, yes
20.Bill Rowsey, yes
21.Tom “Old Has Been” Ferry, probably
22.Ernie Sellers, no
23.Al Werline, yes
24.Bob Dancer, no
23.Marcus Collier, no
24.Walter Woppie Gaddy, no
25.Buttermilk Brown, no
26.Frank Fast Frankie Haines, no
27.Al Alley Oop Orear, yes
28.Dave Yeager, yes
29.Joe Lil Joe Villalpando, probably
30.Jerry Brock, probably

Bill, the boldened ones are confirmed "kills." So you get credit for six. There is about 6 probables that I dont remember enough about. We'll say 3 probables equal one confirmed, chalk up two more, so that is 8. The "no's" that are not boldened are guys that I dont know anything about. If you can endorse that those guys were part of the "circuit" of those days I'll have to concede the win and the shirt to you. What size?

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Junior Weldon

Junior Weldon

Ktown said:
Freddy,

Did you ever match up playing anything with Weldon? I know he was primarily a 9 baller and liked the small tables but I was wondering if you ever got down.

Do you happen to know Berle Gabbard as well. He had a room in town here for a number of years. He wasn't a top level player but he liked to bet it up some using the rails from what I have been told. He hung around w/ Red up in Detroit at times.

Just curious about a couple of guys I know from around town.

Junior and I played bar 8 ball in Oklahoma City. Berle is an old pal. We used to play at Cappas Liquors on Archer Ave in Chicago.

the Beard

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Mark him "played."

Mark him "played."

philwelch said:
Fred I know Billy Weir spent some time at the Chgo Billiard Cafe I'm not sure who he played but you played most road players who came to table 9 so it
would surprise me if you didnt matchup with him. I think nineball was his strong suit though. Phil Welch

I'm gonna mark him as being played Phil.

the Beard

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
fred bentivegna said:
Bill, the boldened ones are confirmed "kills." So you get credit for six. There is about 6 probables that I dont remember enough about. We'll say 3 probables equal one confirmed, chalk up two more, so that is 8. The "no's" that are not boldened are guys that I dont know anything about. If you can endorse that those guys were part of the "circuit" of those days I'll have to concede the win and the shirt to you. What size?

the Beard

I will have some of the small "no's" confirmed by a mutual friend or two. I'm sure Jay knows Erman Bullard and many of the others. Erman never played tournaments but all Allen Hopkins would give him playing 9 ball was the call 8.
I am 6'4" and DOWN TO 285Lbs so I, saddly, have to request a XXXL and thanks, Beard. Bob Dancer was from Detroit and was a master of last pocket 8 ball so I thought you guys might have played. Buddy talks about him in his book. They lived in Shreveport, LA and ran the roads together in the 70s. Another name that Buddy mentioned, even beat Buddy, spent some time in Chicago, Andy Oguine. How about him?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:

the Beard

Freddie,

A little help with the above list, and the players you are uncertain about. From the top, Jeff Sergeant is in your area, but he is a younger guy and primarily a bar table player to my knowledge. Ermin Bullard was a very active player in the South and Midwest for years. Probably still playing somewhere.

Bob Dancer was an active gambler from around Detroit. Pretty well known in the 60's and 70's. Tom Ferry was more well known in the old days as Tom Martin, a good undercover One Pocket hustler. Smart guy who would never have played you Banks and got weight from you at One Hole, even though he didn't need it. I gave him 8-7 and the breaks first time we met in Dayton. I found out later he could give me a ball. Played him even years later and won my money back at 9-Ball.

Buttermilk was a cheap hustler, below your level, looking for soft action. He would avoid you also. We talked about Jimmy King from Alabama I believe. Very active in the South, mostly on bar boxes, but would play 9-Ball on a big table. Not so sure about One Pocket or Banks. Tommy Sanders was another good player and gambler from down South who got around good. I heard he owns a poolroom down there now.

Little Joe was on your list I thought. I know his name came up already. Maybe I asked you about him. A very active shortstop, who spent his life on the road. Jerry Brock is probably the best player mentioned. A bar table champion, one of the best in his day. Way too strong for the likes of you and me. You would have ducked him. On a big table, he was a strong 9-Baller as well, but you would have steered him into a Bank game and gotten the cash. I have faith in you, and your Bank game.