One Player Up Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Player Up Rule

I think there should be a rule in pool that firmly states nonshooter is required to do two things. 1) sit in chair 2) shut mouth

The sitting in the chair does not even have to be taken literally. As long as he is obviously off on the sidelines.

The more important point is about keeping quite though via gripes or rulings when it is not your shot. Let's just look at an example to make that clear. One player is not happy with how the guy is racking... well, too bad, not your shot sit down and shut up. When it is your turn then you would have a chance to call over a ref and tell him the gripe you have about the racking. But not during his shot.

This is really a bigger deal than you think at first glance. Tournaments get held up and all sorts of BS goes on because nonshooting players are allowed to interject when it is not their. Now if there is a potential foul or something then of course player dan jump out of his chair and speak as he thinks it is his inning at that point.

It is so simple too, not your shot and no griping or complaining about anything. It is so obvious players take advantage of this by stalling guys out and complaining about things like the rack or a ruling when it is their opponent's shot. Should be in the rules this is a loss of game. This would make everything go smoother and it would make matches go faster too.

tournaments get held up because of tournament directors with no guts. all they have to do is tell those that stall or make the tournament less fun to play faster or get out.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
      I think there should be a rule in pool that firmly states nonshooter is required to do two things. 1) sit in chair 2) shut mouth

The sitting in the chair does not even have to be taken literally. As long as he is obviously off on the sidelines.
      Toughen up young man
      Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
      (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

I agree with El Chappo. When it is not your turn, it is just good manners to to sit still and be quiet.

Jim Mc

Comment

Howdy All;

The Canteen Mgr. at the local VFW thinks he's an 'expert' about most everything.
          He also considers me to be his biggest threat on the table or so it seems. We
          don't have regular seating near the tables so standing is OK, But I draw the line
          when he interrupts my pre-shot routine to ask me why I'd selected the
          shot I'm fixin' to shoot. , ,

hank
          Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Comment

I'd just ask this type of opponent....is it ok for me to act the ''same as u'' when I am at the table and you are shooting?
            Bill Meacham
            WBT
            www.worldbilliardtour.com
            no link....

Comment

every body ,,, re- read rod's post a few times and let it sink in.

Comment

"sharking" is a part of the pool room unfortunately...

As mentioned in this thread and the other, it just happens, you can't control it and you will ultimately just have to be able to perform with distractions, it's the same for all of us!

Comment

TEN COMMANDMENTS OF MATCH PLAY SPORTSMANSHIP & PROPER ETIQUETTE
                  Guidelines;
                  During a match, I will: Play the match with sportsmanship, and treat my opponent courteously and with respect at all times.
                  1. Clearly communicate, and not intentionally deceive, distract or interfere with the opponent's play,
                  2. as the shooter: not open up an unwanted verbal discourse with or about my opponent,
                  3. not intentionally play at a slow pace that can be construed as: "Slow Playing my Opponent",
                  4. not intentionally quickly shoot a shot in an effort to not allow my opponent an inquiry,
                  5. as the opponent: remove myself from the confines of the playing area, and sit in the seat provided,
                  6. not stand in the line of sight of the shooter,
                  7. not chatter loud enough so as to be heard by my shooting opponent,
                  8. only call for a referee on questionable shots, and not as a means to throw off my opponent,
                  9. remove my chalk from the table, unless it is agreed to play with more than one piece of chalk,
                  10. pay attention to the match, only approach the table on appropriate inquiries.

As the Event Administrative Authority, we want your experience when participating in our event to be enjoyable. These guidelines in and of themselves are not fouls, but do fall under the auspice of players conduct. Therefore, if the match is not played appropriately, the Event Administrative Authority and/or the Referee has the discretion to reprimand the offending player or players accordingly. Whitey
                  -------------------------
                  This is something that tournaments could adopt. It is wrote in this fashion for its simplicity and so it can be framed and hanged up within the tournament room so the players can be aware of it. I play in bcapl western regional, and I wrote up something similar to this, and they adopted it. Unfortunately they never retained it upon their website, so it is virtually lost over time. But lets face it, most of their players come straight out of the bars and have not a clue about proper etiquette.
                  Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 09-09-2019, 05:24 PM.

Comment

when gambling i break every single one of those. most on purpose

Comment

when gambling i break every single one of those. except 3 as i want games to go fast. most on purpose

Comment

Sharking, or "toughening up" is completely beside the point. Irrelevant.

No matter how much I toughen up, or don't, I still think it would be a good rule that would both hasten play and lessen the ability of opponents to control a match with something other than actual pool skills (something we should all obviously be in favor of quite frankly).

Let me know how many times an in the chair opponent holds up the next rack your own 9 ball tournament you watch complaining about the rack.

Pool players do not seem to understand a very simple concept... this is pool, people practice for dozens of hours so there are good players, you are gonna need to learn to sit in the chair and stfu when losing multiple games in a row. Just because a player is losing games and essentially can't do anything about it... should not mean he can now.... do something about it and stall the match with his mouth.

The option to mouth off and purposefully stall a tournament is still open, so please nobody feel left out. You would just be compelled to do it during your own shot.
                        Last edited by El Chapo; 09-10-2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
                          every body ,,, re- read rod's post a few times and let it sink in.
                          So in pool it’s OK to be a Jackass if your gambling.

Comment

Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                            So in pool it’s OK to be a Jackass if your gambling.
                            I was never a Jackass to you or anyone, I've learned to deal with them Though.

Rod.

Rodney Stephens.
                            (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

Comment

I grew up playing pool in tough parts of LA. I learned to keep my mouth shut and play. However, I often ran into sharking quite a bit. Sometimes sharking works in the opposite direction.......back at you. Earl sharks but I've seen it come back at him in some horrible loses such as his infamous race to 125 against Efren. I think he was ahead 110/90 and lost that match. When he started his downslide, he was as quiet as a church mouse.

Comment

Working...
                              X