best format for these big matches

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
What's your guys' opinion on this 10/20/30/40 format now that we've seen it a few times?

I think it's a pretty brutal one mentally and physically if you get behind.
If you don't recover strong and quick, every subsequent day the road is longer and steeper. I guess that's the point, I just wonder if it does it too effectively.
I don't think I actually recall a match in this format where the leader switched any subsequent day. I know that the loser has definitely been able to win more games for a day, but i don't remember a loser actually coming back and hitting the day's milestone first. My memory sucks, though.

Tony did claw back tooth and nail, but even day 2 and 3, when the day counts for the day were very close at times,Tony just looked like he was having to work so much harder.

I wonder what's tougher, going into day 4 knowing you need to win 15 games to Dennis' 10, or if Dennis was up 6 or 7 games in an 8 ahead match?

So what's the best format for showing who is the better player?

Ahead matches? Straight race with time cutoff per day? This 10/20/30/40 format?

I doubt there's a right answer. And "better player" is subjective. Dealing with the mental aspect of playing from behind is a hallmark of any great player.
Just curious for your thoughts.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Finding the better player is important. But if you are the promoter or the streamer it's even more important to be sure they will play for four days, as advertised.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
A race to 40 is IMO a very boring format, there are very few moments of sitting at the edge of your chair pulling for your favorite player. How do we fix this? Mulitiple shorter races would be my suggestion. The shorter the race the more exciting it will be, plus with short races a player will never face a situation like Tony did against Dennis being down 10 games in a race to 40. That's demoralizing in itself, no wonder Tony looked exhausted he was constantly looking at an uphill battle.

Lets say the format is best of 21 sets first player to win eleven sets wins, races to three would be fair. In a race to three there will be at least 75% of sets going hill hill. Now that's excitement. How would that determine who the best player is? The best player should win regardless of the format, but what you don't want to happen is to bore people with the format. In a race to three how many times did Reyes win the Derby City One Pocket Championship? Well I guess that's proof that in a race to three the best players still have the edge.

Another factor that is inspiring is that the player that falls behind will be able to keep a fairly high confidence level because leads are more easily surmounted in races to three.:heh

That would be my suggestion on the format.

Dr. Bill

youngstown

Verified Member

I agree finding the better player is actually probably less important than finding the best production value. What’s best for the fans?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in tennis the grand slams for the men are best of 5 (first to win 3 sets)
wins
races to X(pick your number) 3 out of 5 would be exciting because even if the player got killed one day its only 1 set
i like this as a race to 10 each day lets say
it gives the better player an edge compared to a race to 3
jmho
icbw

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I watch quite a few streams. I agree the race to 40 format isn't ideal for viewers. I would prefer single races to 10 per day. Something like ..
10k per set each day with 3 sets guaranteed. Of course the guy that is stealing would prefer the one long race... lol as fans we get to see 3 sets...

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
A race to 40 is IMO a very boring format, there are very few moments of sitting at the edge of your chair pulling for your favorite player. How do we fix this? Mulitiple shorter races would be my suggestion. The shorter the race the more exciting it will be, plus with short races a player will never face a situation like Tony did against Dennis being down 10 games in a race to 40. That's demoralizing in itself, no wonder Tony looked exhausted he was constantly looking at an uphill battle.

Lets say the format is best of 21 sets first player to win eleven sets wins, races to three would be fair. In a race to three there will be at least 75% of sets going hill hill. Now that's excitement. How would that determine who the best player is? The best player should win regardless of the format, but what you don't want to happen is to bore people with the format. In a race to three how many times did Reyes win the Derby City One Pocket Championship? Well I guess that's proof that in a race to three the best players still have the edge.

Another factor that is inspiring is that the player that falls behind will be able to keep a fairly high confidence level because leads are more easily surmounted in races to three.:heh

That would be my suggestion on the format.

Dr. Bill

Good call, Bill. I'm with you.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
how good an event would be a tennis style one pocket tourney best of three sets to advance with maybe 8 person tourney over a week( win by two with a tie breaker of course)

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Ray did his best to talk Tony into playing races to 10 best out of 5 sets. Way better format IMO

Multiple best of sets much more exciting for the sweaters and side bettors each day has a fresh start.

That's the format Billy and Efren played few months ago and that match was much more exciting IMO

Tony insisted on a race to 40 :(

I do like the idea of even more shorter races, like Billy was talking about. Races to 5 best 6 out 10 maybe :)

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member

What about race to 10 for 10k each day guaranteed 4 days, instead of race to 40 for 40k...then viewers know what they’re getting, or a progressive bet, like first day bet X amount, second day bet is doubled (2X), third day is tripled (3X), final day is quadrupled (4x)...the progressive bet would be interesting IMO...

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Interesting ideas.

Seems like a lot of folks lean towards preferring many smaller races or sets of sets. I tend to agree.

I guess in the end it'll all come down to what the players (and backers) come to terms on and I'm just glad we get to see it.

Ray did his best to talk Tony into playing races to 10 best out of 5 sets. Way better format IMO

Multiple best of sets much more exciting for the sweaters and side bettors each day has a fresh start.

That's the format Billy and Efren played few months ago and that match was much more exciting IMO

Tony insisted on a race to 40 :(

I do like the idea of even more shorter races, like Billy was talking about. Races to 5 best 6 out 10 maybe :)

Interesting! You always have the best scoops. Makes you wonder how it would've gone in the other format.
Tony outgamed DO day 3. Going into day 4 down 2 sets to 1 seems a hell of a let better on your morale than the way this one went.