Josh Roberts vs Roberto Gomez One Pocket Action Oct. 8th-9th-10th, 2019

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I watched quite a bit of the match, however, I quit watching when the score was tied at 21. I enjoyed the match immensely and thought that both players played well considering their style and experience playing the game. Gomez showed his lack of experience many times in the match by playing aggressively in times that he shouldn't have, other than that I thought he played very well. Josh impressed me with his understanding of the game and his resiliency and heart by coming from behind several times in the match, and if I had to point out what his undoing was that cost him the match it would be that he didn't bear down on every shot that was important. There were several times when he would shoot quickly and miss hit either kicks or easy safety's that were crucial for him to hit well and he mysteriously took them for granted and didn't get the edge to put him in a better position to win games when I'm certain he has the ability to execute those shots the way they are supposed to be executed. Other than those times he played very well.

It was a very good match and I would like to watch them play again, a rematch would favor Gomez because of his ball striking ability and his level of experience being higher than in the first match. But if Josh would bear down in situations where he needs to it would be another great match to watch.

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Opponent

Opponent

I watched quite a bit of the match, however, I quit watching when the score was tied at 21. I enjoyed the match immensely and thought that both players played well considering their style and experience playing the game. Gomez showed his lack of experience many times in the match by playing aggressively in times that he shouldn't have, other than that I thought he played very well. Josh impressed me with his understanding of the game and his resiliency and heart by coming from behind several times in the match, and if I had to point out what his undoing was that cost him the match it would be that he didn't bear down on every shot that was important. There were several times when he would shoot quickly and miss hit either kicks or easy safety's that were crucial for him to hit well and he mysteriously took them for granted and didn't get the edge to put him in a better position to win games when I'm certain he has the ability to execute those shots the way they are supposed to be executed. Other than those times he played very well.

It was a very good match and I would like to watch them play again, a rematch would favor Gomez because of his ball striking ability and his level of experience being higher than in the first match. But if Josh would bear down in situations where he needs to it would be another great match to watch.

Dr. Bill

I couldn't put my finger on it, because I've not seen this man play ALLOT....but I always knew there was something missing....so that's his weakness, he does not have that killer instinct (every shot)....mental game of a player like ah Cole Dixon, or a Pancho Gonzales in tennis. :)

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
yep I think gomez just had more tenacity on key shots. Josh missed a few shots that there is no way he should when he oculd have buried roberto ( the spot shot to go up I think 19 13 the big one) and let boberto find his stroke and come back into it.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Very close match. Josh played really well on day 2 and Roberto played well on day 3. Two games does not mean anything.

I'd like to see a rematch on a little tighter equipment. I do believe the more they play, the more Roberto learns and his ball running shows up more.