What was your one biggest game changer?

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
What was your one biggest game changer?

I remember way back in the '70s a local rotation player who had a decent game. He did have a flaw though. He had a habit of twisting his wrist on certain shots. Usually shots which involved stroking the ball firmly. He didn't realize why he was missing these shots. He never realized he was twisting his wrist. One day he got so angry at one particular miss, he slammed his fist into the rail and broke his hand.

A few days later he was back in the pool room with a plaster cast on his hand and playing pool again. The cast was somehow molded to allow him to grasp the cue properly, but because his wrist was immobilized he couldn't twist it.

So, during this period and to everyone's surprise, his game shot up a couple notches. The cast came off and what do ya think? The issue was solved. All that time spent with his hand immobilized trained his wrist to remain straight throughout the stroke.

He never became a great player. That wasn't gong to happen anyway but he did solve his most pressing stroke problem. Albeit, the hard way. :D:D

Tom

Nice! You know Tom you just reminded me of something. In college I broke my finger. So I had to shoot softly for a couple months. My game jumped up during that period as well. I had forgotten all about that lol.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
QUOTE=Mkbtank;264872]Nice! You know Tom you just reminded me of something. In college I broke my finger. So I had to shoot softly for a couple months. My game jumped up during that period as well. I had forgotten all about that lol.[/QUOTE]

76 Colorado Springs, Platte and Union....Grady Matthews room. Growing up I had my shoulder, r/s dislocated too many times water and snow skiing, got it fixed in IL beginning of spring 76, headed back to CO to home to let it heal up. Been a month or so now, and I'm playing again, but UNABLE to break a rack, due to the condition of my shoulder (unable to raise it), BUT the rest of my game, because of the Pain, operation, healing and all, my concentration and clarity of the table was like never before.
In walks Surfer Rod...he knew of my injury and decided to play me on a 9' $40 a game (that's a fair bet in 1976). + Rod played mostly on bar boxes.
I go to the bathroom....he switches cue balls to the heavy cue ball, normal size. When I get back he wants to raise the bet, I saw the cue ball change before I broke the next rack, $400 later he was done.

The Clarity that I had after surgery/pain/healing, made my game excel for 3 months.