No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. Paul 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#3 playing the ghost and hemming him in where he cant get out of it without selling out.

Comment

Originally posted by Island Drive View Post
      Oh yeah, I've got that swing as long as that cue ball is far enough away from the rail. Or, you could bank it, pocket it and draw back up table. With the cue ball coming off the first long rail with ALLOT of r/h draw, and the cue ball coming off the other long rail about a diamond above the upper pocket....& drop to the head rail.
      Moose, what's interesting about the 4 ball bank shot is this....use a 11 o'clock cueing with Follow. The banked ball will of course have waaaaaay more ball speed than the cue ball, so the dbl kiss is out. By using l/h spin the cue ball will come off the foot rail and back to your opponents long rail, it's an aggressive shot, but with the l/h spin on the object ball it'll bring the 4 easily towards the pocket. If I chose to shoot this type of shot that Ronnie Allen in his prime would never miss, I would for sure make sure it banks long ''at worst''. If it does this it'll be also beneficial, it'll open up the middle ball clusters a little.
      OK, Billy,

I'm confused. When you first brought up banking the 4 ball, you were gonna draw your rock back to the side rail then up to the opposite corner.Now, you seem to wanna go top left english to cross over the 4 ball.

Are you gonna decide just before you pull the trigger?

The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardmix View Post
        Banking the 13 into the 2 balls on the foot rail is appealing but I can’t tell from the pic if I will have to hit the 13 too hard to get the cb to escape 2 rails through the alley by the 2 up table. If hit too hard, you may not end up with anything in front of your pocket, worse a ball could bank to the opponents side.

That said, based on what I see in the pic, I am thinning off the 7 and leaving the cb just below the corner pocket. This will open the 7 and 6. I expect the return shot will be coming off the 2 and trying to duck under the 2 balls on the foot rail. If this shot comes up short, you will have a nice 2 rail shot on the 11 with the potential to duck behind the 2 balls.

This is one of those wwyd where you really need to be at the table.
        Ben,

Just curious. Coming off that 2 ball and getting under the 3 ball isn't that hard. But I think i might roll the 11 ball at my hole and come off that 5 ball to get behind those two balls on the bottom rail. If I make the 11 ball I'm off to the races, if not, my opponent is blocked from the 11 ball hanging in my hole. Do you see it differently?

The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

Moose, what's interesting about the 4 ball bank shot is this....use a 11 o'clock cueing with Follow. The banked ball will of course have waaaaaay more ball speed than the cue ball, so the dbl kiss is out. By using l/h spin the cue ball will come off the foot rail and back to your opponents long rail, it's an aggressive shot, but with the l/h spin on the object ball it'll bring the 4 easily towards the pocket. If I chose to shoot this type of shot that Ronnie Allen in his prime would never miss, I would for sure make sure it banks long ''at worst''. If it does this it'll be also beneficial, it'll open up the middle ball clusters a little.
          Your sending the 4 ball thru the same opening as the cue ball. I’d be shocked if there was no kiss.

Comment

dont worry jim you wont get shocked. kiss is there. need to go straight up and down to be sure you beat it.

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
              OK, Billy,

I'm confused. When you first brought up banking the 4 ball, you were gonna draw your rock back to the side rail then up to the opposite corner.Now, you seem to wanna go top left english to cross over the 4 ball.

Are you gonna decide just before you pull the trigger?

''When you first brought up banking the 4 ball'' Quote DM...

My first post..... was banking it off the other long rail into the stripe with draw, the one Chicago Mike also liked, second post was a RA 4 ball bank shot he would of taken every time in the sixties.
              Bill Meacham
              WBT
              www.worldbilliardtour.com
              no link....

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
                Ben,

Just curious. Coming off that 2 ball and getting under the 3 ball isn't that hard. But I think i might roll the 11 ball at my hole and come off that 5 ball to get behind those two balls on the bottom rail. If I make the 11 ball I'm off to the races, if not, my opponent is blocked from the 11 ball hanging in my hole. Do you see it differently?

The 11 ball definitely looms large. if the cb is left below the corner, on or very near the rail, the cut on the 11 is not free. To move the 11 close to the pocket the CB needs some pace and it will retain most of the energy and could get away from the shooter hitting the 5 or 13 and selling out. I don't think you can play this shot soft enough to come off those balls and settle behind 3/15 and get the 11 close.

Again, I would need to be at the table decide how difficult this shot would be. If I am playing a solid player with strong cuing skills, I might just take the 13 cross bank to avoid the whole situation with the 11 because you are right Darmoose, if struck well I would be in trouble.

Comment

Well, Darrel & Robert agreed with Paul (yeah Cory, "Mexican Paul")....Paul, being the careful player that I said he is, did in fact shoot the shot of coming off of the 6ball and then back against the 3/15...and being the approx. .800 3cushion player that he is, he hit it almost perfectly (leaving the cueball froze between/against the 15-3 would have been perfect) ...he left it like this >>>
                  Attached Files
                  jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                    Well, Darrel & Robert agreed with Paul (yeah Cory, "Mexican Paul")....Paul, being the careful player that I said he is, did in fact shoot the shot of coming off of the 6ball and then back against the 3/15...and being the approx. .800 3cushion player that he is, he hit it almost perfectly (leaving the cueball froze between/against the 15-3 would have been perfect) ...he left it like this >>>
                    I liked you better when you had cookies to give out.

So, Ghostie, did you use those balls you were behind to fire at the cluster around the spot to move everything to your side of the table, or did you bank the 11 ball and get natural position and run out?

Thanks for the WWYD.

Comment

I’m surprised Paul didn’t hit the 6 fuller banking it to his side and still getting safe. I guess the angle wasn’t there for that. Maybe the 6 went back and forth

Comment

Originally posted by TxOnePocket View Post
                        I'm twisting the nine down to my hole pocket speed, focusing on spinning into the 10 ball hard enough to kick it away, but leaving the cue ball on the endrail. They will have a terrible 11 ball shot i'd live with.

Alt shot would be to bank the 13 ball with med speed with the intent to collide with the 3 and 15, pulling all 3 balls to my side, the cue ball will be hit with low right draw tight into the corner going 2 rails and heading toward the side rail where the chalk is sitting.

Both a bit overzealous, ducking is probably correct..
                        Went to the Poolhall tonight and set this up and tried both shots several times, I hit shot #1 good 2 out of 10 times...so fail

Shot #2 was a bit better, but the ally for the cue ball to travel back down table just isn't realistic, you really have to hit that 13 with speed to get those balls to all move. Mostly it was a disaster with the cue ball colliding with something in the center and leaving him out.

Comment

if that 11 was not there i would be kicking the 15. i may still do it even with it there

Comment

The reason i do not like that shot is it is really easy to lose with it, leaving an easy bank or something. You can't win with it. He aint in no tough trap now. All the balls are still in the other guys favor. That position he is going for right there is only powerful if he has a ball in front of his hole.

He could lost, nothin good could happen, the guy aint in no bad trap = bad shot in my opinion.

Comment

What did you do Next?

Comment

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
                                The reason i do not like that shot is it is really easy to lose with it, leaving an easy bank or something. You can't win with it. He aint in no tough trap now. All the balls are still in the other guys favor. That position he is going for right there is only powerful if he has a ball in front of his hole.

He could lost, nothin good could happen, the guy aint in no bad trap = bad shot in my opinion.
                                Not in a trap? What would you do from where Ghostie is now? Seems he has only a few bad options. He could play the ticky game with the 15 ball on the bottom rail, not likely to produce anything. He can attempt the bank on the 11 ball; but from where he is it is a difficult shot, provides no shape, and it is tough to get safe if he misses. He could play off the 6 ball but again tough to get safe.

One of the most important axioms of OP is if I can dictate my opponents next shot or at least limit his options (especially to bad options), I can control the table, and that leads to winning. That is what was done with the previous shot.

You certainly cannot expect to shoot only shots that can "win the game", and all moves are not "ducking".

Comment

Working...
                                X