Ghost vs. Paul 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wwyd.2

So, here's some bonus fun for today whilst we watch some football.

Let's all play out this WWYD from where Ghostie finds himself now (see post #68). Later maybe he will share with us what he actually did from here.

I say he is in trouble, and to be honest I am not sure what to do?

W..W..Y..D..

Last edited by darmoose; 10-05-2019, 12:46 PM. Reason: error
    The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

I'd probably end up kicking into the 13. As long as the 13 hits the side rail, there's no penalty, and there's a lot of latitude there.

The 11 straight-back is an option, providing the 6 isn't in the way. A simple stop shot would prevent a return shot, but it would be a weak leave for the shooter. The CB may be too close to the rail though, which would hurt accuracy. If the 11 should pocket then the shooter might blast away the two balls on the foot rail.

~Doc

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
        Not in a trap? What would you do from where Ghostie is now? Seems he has only a few bad options. He could play the ticky game with the 15 ball on the bottom rail, not likely to produce anything. He can attempt the bank on the 11 ball; but from where he is it is a difficult shot, provides no shape, and it is tough to get safe if he misses. He could play off the 6 ball but again tough to get safe.

One of the most important axioms of OP is if I can dictate my opponents next shot or at least limit his options (especially to bad options), I can control the table, and that leads to winning. That is what was done with the previous shot.

You certainly cannot expect to shoot only shots that can "win the game", and all moves are not "ducking".
        Whats wrong with elevating shooting directly into the 15ball using maximum left English (like near the left edge of cue ball) to avoid the foul and use a quick wrist stroke which helps with accuracy and tip speed. This technique will allow you to control the cue ball and lessen the chance of fouling. The 15ball will be repositioned to your side and your opponent will be behind the 3ball with limited options and no offensive ones.

Dr. Bill

Comment

as good as he hit that shot to get behind the two balls. he didnt gain much at all. and if he missed getting perfect it could be disaster.

against a good player giving up a turn at the table to do damage is a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
            Whats wrong with elevating shooting directly into the 15ball using maximum left English (like near the left edge of cue ball) to avoid the foul and use a quick wrist stroke which helps with accuracy and tip speed. This technique will allow you to control the cue ball and lessen the chance of fouling. The 15ball will be repositioned to your side and your opponent will be behind the 3ball with limited options and no offensive ones.

Dr. Bill
            Bill, I'm curious. What shot would you have chosen in Paul's original position in this wwyd?

Old School

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
              as good as he hit that shot to get behind the two balls. he didnt gain much at all. and if he missed getting perfect it could be disaster.

against a good player giving up a turn at the table to do damage is a disaster.
              Ghost said he didn't hit it perfect. He hit it good.

Coming off the 6 ball and getting behind those two balls is prolly a 80-90%'er shot for most on this board.

Getting the position that paul got is prolly a 60-70%'er for most on this board.

Speaking of disasters... how big a disaster is taking a flyer and hitting any of those balls coming out of your corner coming off the 13 ball, or double kissing the 4 ball while banking it, or leaving the CB up table with a free 11 ball and natural shape on all the balls.

I don't think when we are suggesting a shot in a WWYD we are anticipating a return shot from Orcullo or Chohan, although I can't imagine what offensively even they would do from there.

So, WWYD from there?
              The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchool View Post
                Bill, I'm curious. What shot would you have chosen in Paul's original position in this wwyd?

Old School
                You are in a very threatening situation if you leave the cue ball up table, either by choosing one of the two rail options or the 13ball option. There are too many good possibilities for the non shooter after the shooter chooses his option if he chooses to leave the cue ball up table. With this understanding I would try to position the cue ball behind the 15ball, simply by coming off the 6ball and dropping to the side and then bottom rail. This shot is easy to control with both speed and direction and you should end up in a good spot a very high percentage of the time. Chances are you will be able to further your destruction of your opponents position in the ensuing innings.

The 11ball and the 1ball are two huge balls that could cost you the game if you leave the cue ball up table, you need at some point (better sooner than later) to break down his position and somewhat level the playing field. Making him start from behind the 15ball is a good spot to start your plan.

Dr. Bill
                Last edited by wincardona; 10-05-2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

You are in a very threatening situation if you leave the cue ball up table, either by choosing one of the two rail options or the 13ball option. There are too many good possibilities for the non shooter after choosing his option if he chooses to leave the cue ball up table. With this understanding I would try to position the cue ball behind the 15ball, simply by coming off the 6ball and dropping to the side and then bottom rail. This shot is easy to control with both speed and direction and you should end up in a good spot a very high percentage of the time. Chances are you will be able to further your destruction of your opponents position in the ensuing innings.

The 11ball and the 1ball are two huge balls that could cost you the game if you leave the cue ball up table, you need at some point (better sooner than later) to break down his position and somewhat level the playing field. Making him start from behind the 15ball is a good spot to start your plan.

Dr. Bill
                  If I were to choose an aggressive option it would be Rodney's option with shooting the 12ball and sticking the cue ball right there. It looks like the 12ball will carom off the 1ball and bank toward your pocket while the 5ball sends the 13ball toward your pocket as well sending the 5ball to the bottom rail then to the side rail while leaving the area. WOW!! Yes, it loos like that could very possibly happen with his option. You would have to be at the table to feel the interactions with the balls before pulling that trigger.

Dr. Bill

Comment

You are in a very threatening situation if you leave the cue ball up table, either by choosing one of the two rail options or the 13ball option. There are too many good possibilities for the non shooter after the shooter chooses his option if he chooses to leave the cue ball up table. With this understanding I would try to position the cue ball behind the 15ball, simply by coming off the 6ball and dropping to the side and then bottom rail. This shot is easy to control with both speed and direction and you should end up in a good spot a very high percentage of the time. Chances are you will be able to further your destruction of your opponents position in the ensuing innings.

Dr Bill
                    Bill,

I appreciate your comments and analysis. Particularly your reasoning for not leaving the CB up table. I get your concern about the 11 ball, but why the 1 ball?

Beatle doesn't agree with you or me.

If I were to choose an aggressive option it would be Rodney's option with shooting the 12ball and sticking the cue ball right there. It looks like the 12ball will carom off the 1ball and bank toward your pocket while the 5ball sends the 13ball toward your pocket as well sending the 5ball to the bottom rail then to the side rail while leaving the area. WOW!! Yes, it loos like that could very possibly happen with his option. You would have to be at the table to feel the interactions with the balls before pulling that trigger.

Dr. Bill
                    I can see this shot having possibilities because the 5 ball looks like it could even pocket the 13 ball. Unfortunately, the 5 ball really looks like it will carom off the 13 and go left of the 3 ball potentially leaving a shot and perhaps a runout if no ball is pocketed. Don't you agree?

I also want to point out that using a straight edge, the left side of the CB does not pass the right side of the 4 ball and allow a full hit on the 12 ball, so I don't know if this shot is available.
                    Last edited by darmoose; 10-05-2019, 04:39 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by one pocket guy View Post
                      What did you do Next?
                      I came off of the 15 to the foot rail - there was no other viable shot - the 11ball straight back was no bueno, bad angle.
                      jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
                        Bill,

I appreciate your comments and analysis. Particularly your reasoning for not leaving the CB up table. I get your concern about the 11 ball, but why the 1 ball?

Beatle doesn't agree with you or me.

I can see this shot having possibilities because the 5 ball looks like it could even pocket the 13 ball. Unfortunately, the 5 ball really looks like it will carom off the 13 and go left of the 3 ball potentially leaving a shot and perhaps a runout if no ball is pocketed. Don't you agree?

I also want to point out that using a straight edge, the left side of the CB does not pass the right side of the 4 ball and allow a full hit on the 12 ball, so I don't know if this shot is available.
                        First I'll address your question about the 1ball not being a ball to be concerned with. With the cue ball positioned to the top left quadrant of the table it sets up an ideal angle to come across the 2ball opening up the 1ball toward your side while the cue ball drops to the side rail then to the bottom rail safely behind the 3ball and 15ball. As long as the cue ball rest on the bottom rail the 3 and 15 balls should offer ample cover to protect your position setting up a very threatening position for the shooter.

Now about the 5ball with Rodney's option. Providing the shooter can strike the 12ball squarely getting movement with the 5ball should not be a problem particularly if the 5ball cuts the 13ball thinly. If the 5ball hits the 13ball full questioning the type of speed generated to move the 5ball then the option is no good and you will have to look elsewhere.

It's all about feeling the interactions that will take place with the balls, it's up to us when at the table to make those types of decisions but most importantly we have to program ourselves to recognize the possibilities of shots like this one to determine if they are viable options.

Dr. Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X