Trapping styles

chicagomike

Verified Member
It came up in discussion among friends that there is something referred to as a two tiered trap which involves thinking ahead and placing balls thoughout multiple innings to place balls. It got us thinking of trapping styles. How many are there, what’s most effective? What do you use?

Let’s hear it!!!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One of the best one pocket $$ players on the West Coast for some time was Warren (The Monk) Costanza. I use some of the things I watched him do. Placing balls near the pockets downtable to use for safeties or block the scratch on short rail cross banks is one of them.

I will keep the others to myself.:D

beatle

Verified Member
mostly knowing the weaknesses of your opponent. like if he banks less well then you put balls up table on the rail more. and leave balls along rails.

if spotting a lot of balls get them open so you can run out just as easily or better than he can. same if he is a grinder. open the balls.

all balls up table are better for the better player when playing even up or close to it. but games will take longer and you will win less money as most players have a time limit they will play.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Trap 1: The $1,000 shot. Simply leave one or two balls on the foot rail and practice banking balls toward your pocket while sliding the cue ball behind those obstructing balls.

Trap 2: Tie up the long rail bank to your opponent's pocket by placing two balls near the side pocket.

Trap 3: Practice the soft ticky into the stack from all angles.

Trap 4: When the game goes up table, practice banking the ball towards your pocket while freezing him on an interfering ball.

Trap 5: Early in the game, when the stack is still pristine, practice three railing a ball towards your pocket, bottom rail, side rail, top rail, to your pocket, while locking him in the stack.

Trap 6: After trading scratches in the corner, when four balls are on the spot, two rail kick the balls to open them to your side, cue ball releasing towards his up table pocket. When done right, you have a dangerous spread of balls that favors you greatly.

Trap 7: First or second inning: Instead of banking that one ball to your pocket, and getting nothing else, bank into the last column of balls in the stack and watch a pocket switch that greatly turns the game around. Cue ball ends up about second diamond and now you have 7 or 8 balls that favor your pocket. With practice, you make the ball off the stack and run out.

At least one or two of these traps come up in nearly every game and identifying the opportunity and executing the trap is central to winning one pocket.

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Trap 1: The $1,000 shot. Simply leave one or two balls on the foot rail and practice banking balls toward your pocket while sliding the cue ball behind those obstructing balls.

Trap 2: Tie up the long rail bank to your opponent's pocket by placing two balls near the side pocket.

Trap 4: When the game goes up table, practice banking the ball towards your pocket while freezing him on an interfering ball.

Trap 5: Early in the game, when the stack is still pristine, practice three railing a ball towards your pocket, bottom rail, side rail, top rail, to your pocket, while locking him in the stack.

Trap 6: After trading scratches in the corner, when four balls are on the spot, two rail kick the balls to open them to your side, cue ball releasing towards his up table pocket. When done right, you have a dangerous spread of balls that favors you greatly.

Trap 7: First or second inning: Instead of banking that one ball to your pocket, and getting nothing else, bank into the last column of balls in the stack and watch a pocket switch that greatly turns the game around. Cue ball ends up about second diamond and now you have 7 or 8 balls that favor your pocket. With practice, you make the ball off the stack and run out.

At least one or two of these traps come up in nearly every game and identifying the opportunity and executing the trap is central to winning one pocket.

That is a very good list. I think on #1 though you mean the "head' rail.

The only thing I would add is spend time learning how to double up your opponent on a small wedge (2 or 3 balls) anywhere on your side rail. You can two rail, three rail, even crossover a straight back bank to put the CB above the wedge and hide the OB near your hole, very effective.

:)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
One of the best one pocket $$ players on the West Coast for some time was Warren (The Monk) Costanza. I use some of the things I watched him do. Placing balls near the pockets downtable to use for safeties or block the scratch on short rail cross banks is one of them.

I will keep the others to myself.:D

yous guys always have good stuff.....few things to contemplate here....

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
curious if the ghost is willing to let anything go here.....

my man can spin behind balls with the best of them, and a few years ago think i was pulling splinters out of my hand for a week after a beat down session.....

:eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The only thing I would add is spend time learning how to double up your opponent on a small wedge (2 or 3 balls) anywhere on your side rail. You can two rail, three rail, even crossover a straight back bank to put the CB above the wedge and hide the OB near your hole, very effective.

you did that very well against me in philly

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

great advice joe
thanks

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Trapping styles

This is Gold. 👍

El Chapo

Verified Member
It seems to me a good rule is movers need to be put uptable. So important to get close to the rail, a good drill to practice is getting on rails.

Shooting oriented guys need to be placed in the stack and frozen more often.

I think the style of your traps needs to change with opponents.

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
That is a very good list. I think on #1 though you mean the "head' rail.

Darmoose... when u going to be in chicago next? Would be nice to play some.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Darmoose... when u going to be in chicago next? Would be nice to play some.

Fats,

I did enjoy playing you in Philly, even though you did me in. I would like another shot someday.

Unfortunately, I don't have any family left in Chicago, and so not much reason to go back anymore. Maybe we will have another MOT there someday.

I like your game, good luck and enjoy.:)