Getting home table re-clothed

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Yea Derby is 4 1/2.

Clifton Billiards, Sandcastle Billiards, and a few others have 3 7/8 corners, That’s just stupid tight. I regularly play on 4 1/8 so it’s the norm for me. When I play on a 4 1/2” pocket I’ll go for way more shots than I normally would, I’ll push the offense end of it.

If I were to buy a new Diamond I’d probably get 4 1/4 from the factory. If I have to extend the rails I’d go with 4 1/8 for a practice table.

Derby are super buckets accept for the one action room.
I was in there last year and saw Dennis put a 7 pack on Lil John for the cheese.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't know whether practicing on a super tight table improves a guy's accuracy or not, but it will definitely increase your frustration!..:mad: I recall Eddie Robin recommending that if a guy practices on a looser table it will increase his confidence. How that would then transfer to a tight table, I don't know.

I wanted 4-1/2" corners on my Diamond Pro AM table because that's what they use at the DCC. 4-1/2" has become standard, and there are probably more tournaments played on that size than any other. Plus, if table owners are planning to have guests over, playing on a tighter table will be boring and no fun for them.

I recall practicing in Bradenton, FL one time. I usually practiced at Livingston's, which had fairly loose pockets. But a new room opened, so I went there. Most of the 9' tables were busy, so I took the tight table, which as I recall, had 3-7/8" corners. I lasted about 25 minutes before I packed up and left.

I can see how in order to slow down the top players, some folks want to have tighter pockets. But for 99.9% of the rest of the pool community, tight pockets are inadvisable.

~Doc

beatle

Verified Member
big pockets are fun. and you can play all sorts of shots you cant on tight pockets.

at home i am not looking to have to work to get to pocket balls better i look to have fun on my tables.

baby huey

Verified Member
I think way too much is made about tightening up pockets to the point where only Shane,Alex and Dennis could run balls on it. Diamonds already have an extended slate shelf so I wouldn't go any smaller than 41/4" pockets size.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
lol, you got me thinking...if the dcc tables were all 5" pockets (huge buckets), do you think that would change the outcome much? I mean, do you thinknthe same top players and those who typically last longer would still be the same top players?

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
lol, you got me thinking...if the dcc tables were all 5" pockets (huge buckets), do you think that would change the outcome much? I mean, do you think the same top players and those who typically last longer would still be the same top players?

I imagine :confused: if all the Derby City Classic pool tables had 5-inch pockets there would be many more upsets which would sometimes change the outcome of the eventual winner in all three disciplines, especially banks. As an analogy, did you ever play tournament 8-ball on a 9-foot table against a weak player? Kind of easy to win. But play that same weak player on a little 7-foot Valley big pocket bar box and you might have some tense moments.

In reference to factory brand new Diamond tables. I believe there is an additional charge of $500 if you request tighter pockets than the standard 4 1/2-inch pockets. That additional charge may have recently increased by a hundred or two.