Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting home table re-clothed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Getting home table re-clothed

    I would probably only tighten two of the pockets, leave the rest standard. I once tightened all my pockets to 3.75 and I couldn’t beat the 5ball ghost in a race to 15, not once in several years. But I was a straight shooting freak...who eventually didn’t enjoy practicing much.

    Comment


    • #17
      a compromise is 4 3/8 pocket

      Comment


      • #18
        Well I learned something, I thought standard stock was 4 1/4..

        so at the derby this past year, the pockets were 4 1/2?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
          Well I learned something, I thought standard stock was 4 1/4..

          so at the derby this past year, the pockets were 4 1/2?
          Yea Derby is 4 1/2.

          Clifton Billiards, Sandcastle Billiards, and a few others have 3 7/8 corners, That’s just stupid tight. I regularly play on 4 1/8 so it’s the norm for me. When I play on a 4 1/2” pocket I’ll go for way more shots than I normally would, I’ll push the offense end of it.

          If I were to buy a new Diamond I’d probably get 4 1/4 from the factory. If I have to extend the rails I’d go with 4 1/8 for a practice table.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
            Yea Derby is 4 1/2.

            Clifton Billiards, Sandcastle Billiards, and a few others have 3 7/8 corners, That’s just stupid tight. I regularly play on 4 1/8 so it’s the norm for me. When I play on a 4 1/2” pocket I’ll go for way more shots than I normally would, I’ll push the offense end of it.

            If I were to buy a new Diamond I’d probably get 4 1/4 from the factory. If I have to extend the rails I’d go with 4 1/8 for a practice table.
            Thanks Jim!

            Yea for you good shot makers I can see that. For me, I would probably be good at 4 1/2 and if I decide to tighten go to 4 1/4.

            3 7/8 yikes!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
              Yea Derby is 4 1/2.

              Clifton Billiards, Sandcastle Billiards, and a few others have 3 7/8 corners, That’s just stupid tight. I regularly play on 4 1/8 so it’s the norm for me. When I play on a 4 1/2” pocket I’ll go for way more shots than I normally would, I’ll push the offense end of it.

              If I were to buy a new Diamond I’d probably get 4 1/4 from the factory. If I have to extend the rails I’d go with 4 1/8 for a practice table.
              Derby are super buckets accept for the one action room.
              I was in there last year and saw Dennis put a 7 pack on Lil John for the cheese.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ChicagoFats View Post
                Derby are super buckets accept for the one action room.
                I was in there last year and saw Dennis put a 7 pack on Lil John for the cheese.
                I was thinking they are Pro Cut which is 4 1/2. I think the loose ProAm tables are 4 3/4.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                  I was thinking they are Pro Cut which is 4 1/2. I think the loose ProAm tables are 4 3/4.
                  All the DCC tournament tables I have played on appear to be 4 1/2.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I don't know whether practicing on a super tight table improves a guy's accuracy or not, but it will definitely increase your frustration!.. I recall Eddie Robin recommending that if a guy practices on a looser table it will increase his confidence. How that would then transfer to a tight table, I don't know.

                    I wanted 4-1/2" corners on my Diamond Pro AM table because that's what they use at the DCC. 4-1/2" has become standard, and there are probably more tournaments played on that size than any other. Plus, if table owners are planning to have guests over, playing on a tighter table will be boring and no fun for them.

                    I recall practicing in Bradenton, FL one time. I usually practiced at Livingston's, which had fairly loose pockets. But a new room opened, so I went there. Most of the 9' tables were busy, so I took the tight table, which as I recall, had 3-7/8" corners. I lasted about 25 minutes before I packed up and left.

                    I can see how in order to slow down the top players, some folks want to have tighter pockets. But for 99.9% of the rest of the pool community, tight pockets are inadvisable.

                    ~Doc

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      big pockets are fun. and you can play all sorts of shots you cant on tight pockets.

                      at home i am not looking to have to work to get to pocket balls better i look to have fun on my tables.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I think way too much is made about tightening up pockets to the point where only Shane,Alex and Dennis could run balls on it. Diamonds already have an extended slate shelf so I wouldn't go any smaller than 41/4" pockets size.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          lol, you got me thinking...if the dcc tables were all 5" pockets (huge buckets), do you think that would change the outcome much? I mean, do you thinknthe same top players and those who typically last longer would still be the same top players?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                            lol, you got me thinking...if the dcc tables were all 5" pockets (huge buckets), do you think that would change the outcome much? I mean, do you think the same top players and those who typically last longer would still be the same top players?
                            I imagine if all the Derby City Classic pool tables had 5-inch pockets there would be many more upsets which would sometimes change the outcome of the eventual winner in all three disciplines, especially banks. As an analogy, did you ever play tournament 8-ball on a 9-foot table against a weak player? Kind of easy to win. But play that same weak player on a little 7-foot Valley big pocket bar box and you might have some tense moments.

                            In reference to factory brand new Diamond tables. I believe there is an additional charge of $500 if you request tighter pockets than the standard 4 1/2-inch pockets. That additional charge may have recently increased by a hundred or two.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X