Ghost vs. John 47 wwyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wincardona View Post
    Be careful what you ask for Ghosty So do you still want to prop bet my return option against what ever shot you choose?

Dr. Bill
    No, that's not my bet...my prop bet is you keep shooting your shot over and over, and a judge decides whether you sold out a shot to me or not each time...

Originally posted by wincardona View Post

And am I understanding this correctly when you say you are comfortable with your leave placing the 5ball on the side rail as opposed to placing it near the 12ball?

Dr. Bill
    I'm not opposed to either shot...I'm fine with leaving the 5 by the side rail or by the 12.

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
    Yes Ghost, this is just about where I would want
    the 5. I think you brought the cue ball out a bit too far from the side rail which allows your opponent a better angle to play the ten but You did well.

Tom
    Except Tom...the upside to my getting my cueball to where I did, is that John can't easily reach the cueball from there - and if the cueball was closer to the long rail as you suggest, he would reach the cueball more comfortably, and thus, be able to execute better.

Originally posted by beatle View Post

thanks for the wwyd ghost it was a good one that looked to each side an easy pick.
    You're welcome brother beatle.
    jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post

That's funny,Ky..

I try not to assume anything, but sometimes I slip
      Just giving ya a hard time! Be careful how you word your prop bets, cuz you can only make the 5 ball to win! Your words, not mine.

Comment

In hitting the 5, I would bank it just short of the 8 with enough speed so it continues and covers the 12. This way the cb stays within the bridge zone, plus I am not giving up a possible return bank on the 5 if I were to leave it on the side rail. It is easy to go 5 rails with the cb and lay on the 5 bank.

*Also I believe the 12 will double bank out of the corner and go into the opponents pocket. So leaving the 5 ball on the side rail does not protect against this return bank, if the opponent chooses to do the bank on the 12 versus pocketing the 10, or make the 10 then bank the 12. It is pretty darn easy to first come off the side rail when pocketing the 10 and coming 3 rails to get on the 12 for a double bank.*

Kicking in the 10 with excellent speed and leaving the cb either on the side rail or just in front of the pocket, leaves a pretty hard return bank on the 5, for it has to be hit with inside english to get the cb down table plus to get out of the cross side scratch. The 5 has to be hit pretty hard to get it to the hole, this will have the cb Z bank over by the balls down table, and possibly behind the 8. If the bank is not made he could sell out the 12 bank, if he makes it he then probably would have a bank on the 12.

A tough choice after weighing it all, it is against my thinking to give him a clean shot on the 10, and with the bridge I was able to bring the cb back to those balls down table. But I see the logic! If I pocket the 10 then the opponent better hit a good bank on the 5 or he just might of lost the game!

Thanks guys, I am learning, for I thought just pocket the 10. Great shot Dr. Bill coming off the 5 with the 12! Wow! Whitey
        Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 10-12-2019, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Bruce,

I want to add my thanks for this particular WWYD. There have been a lot of WWYD's, some I have participated in and some not.

Most of them boil down to how many different offensive shots can one imagine from a given situation. And while that can be entertaining, I don't find it very educational.

The vociferousness of the argument here and the deep dive into why one should do what, is a testament to the value of risk/reward analysis, which I think was your purpose as a teacher.

Even though we don't all agree on the solution to your question, I think everyone had to be impressed with the "below the surface" complexity of what initially looked like a joke to Dr. Bill.

It is that subtle complexity that makes OP such an enjoyable and fascinating game to me, and for demonstrating that, I think this is one of the finest WWYD's I have seen.

I don't know if it is over yet, but good job.
          Last edited by darmoose; 10-12-2019, 12:09 AM. Reason: error
          The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

ghost
            this has been a GREAT wwyd.
            the discussions and explanations behind the reasons for the shot selection have been of tremendous benefit to me.
            thanks
            larry

Comment

After reading all these posts....Yah got 2 choices.

1. You bank the five, leave cue ball On the long rail....use the proper speed on the 5 ball to block the 10 ball bank.

2.Or kick the ten in, from inside Your pocket, when YOU the shooter are not in a totally ''level'' shooting position.
              Bill Meacham
              WBT
              www.worldbilliardtour.com
              no link....

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
                Bruce,

I want to add my thanks for this particular WWYD. There have been a lot of WWYD's, some I have participated in and some not.

Most of them boil down to how many different offensive shots can one imagine from a given situation. And while that can be entertaining, I don't find it very educational.

The vociferousness of the argument here and the deep dive into why one should do what, is a testament to the value of risk/reward analysis, which I think was your purpose as a teacher.

Even though we don't all agree on the solution to your question, I think everyone had to be impressed with the "below the surface" complexity of what initially looked like a joke to Dr. Bill.

It is that subtle complexity that makes OP such an enjoyable and fascinating game to me, and for demonstrating that, I think this is one of the finest WWYD's I have seen.

I don't know if it is over yet, but good job.

Very well said as usual Darrell...and also thanks for the appreciation.

Originally posted by lll View Post
                ghost
                this has been a GREAT wwyd.
                the discussions and explanations behind the reasons for the shot selection have been of tremendous benefit to me.
                thanks
                larry
                You're welcome Larry

And lastly, in closing, due to my concern that some of the One Pocket students on here may have been led astray by some of the posts that they've read in this thread...Reverend Ghost is gonna evangelize a little and quote some scripture:

...................BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 10-12-2019, 03:04 PM.
                jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

I’m watching a video of Bergman playing Hall. Hall has a ball hanging in his hole and Bergman missed kicking the ball in.

Comment

Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                    I’m watching a video of Bergman playing Hall. Hall has a ball hanging in his hole and Bergman missed kicking the ball in.
                    Easier than The Ghost's shot, too..

https://youtu.be/rf-EStOIIbM?t=1939
                    "Born Into This"

Comment

Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                      It looks like he must have had some spin on the ball since he hit the far rail about right. He missed the OB by a full ball.
                      Bob Jewett
                      www.sfbilliards.com

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                        Very well said as usual Darrell...and also thanks for the appreciation.

You're welcome Larry

And lastly, in closing, due to my concern that some of the One Pocket students on here may have been led astray by some of the posts that they've read in this thread...Reverend Ghost is gonna evangelize a little and quote some scripture:

...................BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS

I just wonder how many of us take offense to the 'Beware of False Prophets' statement, since only Tom chose your shot! I take it to mean; that one and only shot is the only one that is viable in your opinion! Whitey

Comment

Ghost vs. John 47 wwyd?

Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
                          I just wonder how many of us take offense to the 'Beware of False Prophets' statement, since only Tom chose your shot! I take it to mean; that one and only shot is the only one that is viable in your opinion! Whitey

Whitey, Ghosty is just kidding around as usual. Especially since he knows that only Todd and I got this Wwyd right 😂.
                          Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
                            Whitey,

Is it just tooo early for you or has all that rain out there gotten you soaked?lol

Starting back at post #7, I was the first one to suggest the proper shot in the circumstance at hand.

After my initial post, many others agreed with that particular shot.

This WWYD was about critical thinking, and playing the score, a fact that apparently some still don't get in spite of all the explanation by some of the very best players and analysts on this forum.

It is not arguable that of all the shot suggestions made, that my suggestion is the most appropriate if one is playing the score, a strategy that has been cannonized on this forum for as long as I can remember.

Ghost's tiny little retribution to beware of false prophets is no more than a friendly reminder to be careful of who's advice you follow. Despite his youthful blustering, Mitch knows he can't shoot his shot and keep the 5 ball where he claims. You could try that on your own table and show us in one of your videos.

Last edited by darmoose; 10-13-2019, 11:49 AM. Reason: error
                            The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

If i am playing ghost i make him shoot the 5 by scratching on a masse. That is actually an easy hit here is a huge error buffer on the scratch on that masse.

After ghost dogs the straight in ball, the game is mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                                Whitey, Ghosty is just kidding around as usual. Especially since he knows that only Todd and I got this Wwyd right 😂.
                                As usual your spot on Mitchel

Comment

Working...
                                X