Ghost vs. John 47 wwyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Jewett View Post
    It looks like he must have had some spin on the ball since he hit the far rail about right. He missed the OB by a full ball.
    I was thinking the same thing. He had enough natural angle to get to the pocket, so he didn't need the spin. It looked like he was undecided, but rushed the shot without being fully committed. Yeah he missed it half a diamond or more!

Comment

looking at the result I do think that I would try to be alot more careful with the 5 ball to get it to the short rail because even if it is a bit of a lon sot there is a good out if you shoot the 10 and get good on the cross corner it si easy to hold for the straight back on the 12 to get good on the 8. I understand it is not the easiest out but when my opponent gives me air I tend to bury alot more of those banks as I feel i have a chance!

Comment

he also may not have been familiarized with the table and wasnt shooting from corner to corner.

but just for kicks on my table with big pockets i shot it to see how many times in a row i would make it. i quit at 50 with no scratches and kicked myself in the ass for wasting time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
          I just wonder how many of us take offense to the 'Beware of False Prophets' statement, since only Tom chose your shot! I take it to mean; that one and only shot is the only one that is viable in your opinion! Whitey
          Truly unbelievable ^^^ and people wonder why for months at a time I decide to stop taking the time to post up wwyd's...

Do you read the posts Whitey? - Do you have a sense of humor Whitey?...

Is this only Tom Whitey? >>>

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
          The ONLY choice I see, and I assume is the one Dr Bill is referring to is to bank the 5 ball to the upper corner near those other two balls at pocket speed. He can have the 10 ball, but that is all. Score is now 7-5.

(Sure hope Ghost has some cookies on hand for this one)

Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
          I would just punt the 5 ball off the long rail short of the corner
          Originally posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
          I'm going with the 5 ball out of play option
          Originally posted by wincardona View Post
          Are you serious this must be a trick question there is only one option that I can think of, anything else would be uncivilized. placing the 5ball as close to the 12ball preferably under it would be IMO where to go.

Dr. Bill
          Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
          Looks to me like he has earned that ten ball weather you make it for him or he makes it himself. Drawing off the five ball will take some power and who knows where the five ball ends up at. Also there's the possibility that you don't pocket the ten. I would just position the five ball toward the other balls that are out of play and let him have a go with the ten ball.
          Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
          So here is my thinking on this situation.
          There is no way I'm kicking or trying to masse into the 10 ball. There is no need to take that risk. Especially with the kick. Sure it look simple but out of 100 times who's going to make it every time? Answer...no one here. And then, isn't there a possibility of giving up a straight back on the 5? Maybe?

So, for my money I'm taking the five out.

Nice post Ghost. Hey! I'm a poet too!

Tom

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
          If i am playing, I display my usual immature machismo, and dog the correct choice
          ^^^ Yep, good of you to admit it for a change...
          Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 10-13-2019, 02:21 PM.
          jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Ghost, I did not know you were kidding around! thanks for the thread, I enjoy them as of course others do, keep them coming! Whitey

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
              Very well said as usual Darrell...and also thanks for the appreciation.

You're welcome Larry

And lastly, in closing, due to my concern that some of the One Pocket students on here may have been led astray by some of the posts that they've read in this thread...Reverend Ghost is gonna evangelize a little and quote some scripture:

...................BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS

Ghostie, I just want to tell you that I appreciate, as do the majority of our members, the contributions and WWYD's that you post.

Please keep them coming. I know that everyone chooses different shots in different situations. A lot of it depends on your confidence in your abilities on each particular shot.

That is what makes the game so challenging and interesting to all of us onepocket nuts.

Comment

That was actually my real choice ghost, and i think i am right. The % are there.

Playing you i am making you shoot the five. After having a feeling of already having won the game, it is an easy shot for players to dog.

If i am playing svb i would look at something else.

Comment

Originally posted by one pocket guy View Post
                  As usual your spot on Mitchel
                  Mitch.................eLL. Hell no.
                  Bill Meacham
                  WBT
                  www.worldbilliardtour.com
                  no link....

Comment

I earlier posted that I would kick in the ten ball. I still adhere to my earlier thinking for one more reason. If you push the five ball up table, sure enough you can get it safe but you allow your opponent to pocket the ten and get some kind of angle on a bank of those three balls up table OR he can let the cueball fly into those balls after pocketing the ten and rearrange them such that he might get a better bank or a pocketable straight in shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mkbtank View Post
                      Whitey, Ghosty is just kidding around as usual. Especially since he knows that only Todd and I got this Wwyd right 😂.
                      whoah partner!

Post #17! It seems like a no brainer shot to me, like i said I would play to the rail first so i am not scratching and if I miss I'm still the fave if he get 2 balls.

Also notice I mentioned my other choice which is what ended up being the better shot.

Comment

• Ghost vs. John 47 wwyd?

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                        whoah partner!

Post #17! It seems like a no brainer shot to me, like i said I would play to the rail first so i am not scratching and if I miss I'm still the fave if he get 2 balls.

Also notice I mentioned my other choice which is what ended up being the better shot.

Oh sorry Chris. You posted (my shot) so much later than I did that I missed it. 😂😂. It’s still the better shot btw lol.
                        Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

• https://photos.app.goo.gl/YPrxcxwgnjJ23DgD8 click on videos to get sound!
                          This is the shot Ghost did with a reply shot. An excellent in game shot by Ghost, in which he left the right handed opponent using the bridge or playing a left handed shot. I make the return positioning look easy. *But for a one time shot in a game, it really is hard controlling positioning coming off a ball in a pocket.* Most likely the opponent gets 1 ball out of this, the 10 ball.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuDcR3TJkakCvskc8
                          This is the kick shot. This is the shot Jerry likes, and as you can see it is not quite the sell out, because the cb has to clear that cross side 'scratch'. A tough bank and if not made then oops there goes the game! Of course if the bank is made then you are on the 12 bank.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KpaM2eczKL2s1rJN9
                          This is Dr. Bill's suggested shot. This shot ties up the balls so they are not so readily bankable, although depending how the balls end up there maybe a double out of the corner bank. Before the 5 being placed there the 12 does double bank out of that corner to the opponent's hole. It leaves the cb out of the bridge zone, but muddles up the 5 & 12, which is the goal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnFwJ19uc7TZ15PQ8
                          This is my suggested shot if you are going to move the 5. But of course this is not a one off game come up with shot, I learned this by taking this to the table.

The other shot which I did not video is cb coming off the 5 and pocketing the 10. The 5 ends up running into the balls down table.

This shows some of the hotly debated shot selections. For those that can take these wwyds to the table it really helps. Thanks Ghost, it turned out to be not so obviously simple wwyd after all.

Note: I have to really emphasize this: One of the hardest position shots is dealing with a ball in a corner. When I quit pool the first thing I notice was that I lost the ability to play position off of a ball that was in a corner. Therefore leaving a shot on the 10 is actually in this instance a very good ploy. Whitey
                          Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 10-14-2019, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• Good vids, Whitey. Nice of you to take the time to demonstrate some of the choices.

~Doc

Comment

• Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
                              https://photos.app.goo.gl/YPrxcxwgnjJ23DgD8 click on videos to get sound!
                              This is the shot Ghost did with a reply shot. An excellent in game shot by Ghost, in which he left the right handed opponent using the bridge or playing a left handed shot. I make the return positioning look easy. *But for a one time shot in a game, it really is hard controlling positioning coming off a ball in a pocket.* Most likely the opponent gets 1 ball out of this, the 10 ball.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuDcR3TJkakCvskc8
                              This is the kick shot. This is the shot Jerry likes, and as you can see it is not quite the sell out, because the cb has to clear that cross side 'scratch'. A tough bank and if not made then oops there goes the game! Of course if the bank is made then you are on the 12 bank.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KpaM2eczKL2s1rJN9
                              This is Dr. Bill's suggested shot. This shot ties up the balls so they are not so readily bankable, although depending how the balls end up there maybe a double out of the corner bank. Before the 5 being placed there the 12 does double bank out of that corner to the opponent's hole. It leaves the cb out of the bridge zone, but muddles up the 5 & 12, which is the goal.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnFwJ19uc7TZ15PQ8
                              This is my suggested shot if you are going to move the 5. But of course this is not a one off game come up with shot, I learned this by taking this to the table.

The other shot which I did not video is cb coming off the 5 and pocketing the 10. The 5 ends up running into the balls down table.

This shows some of the hotly debated shot selections. For those that can take these wwyds to the table it really helps. Thanks Ghost, it turned out to be not so obviously simple wwyd after all.

Note: I have to really emphasize this: One of the hardest position shots is dealing with a ball in a corner. When I quit pool the first thing I notice was that I lost the ability to play position off of a ball that was in a corner. Therefore leaving a shot on the 10 is actually in this instance a very good ploy. Whitey
                              No Whitey, From the position you left the 8,12,5, and cue ball, the shot I suggested would NOT be to play the 10, but instead, pocket the 8 and drift the cue ball behind the 12 and 5. The 8 spots and my opponent is now in a major trap. This is exactly why I did not like sending the five towards the other two balls.

By leaving the 5 ball short of the 8 he will not be in a position to hook me. Therefore he will be forced to pocket the 10 and attempt to score position on the 5 ball cross corner bank. By leaving the cue ball where he must use the bridge in shooting the 10 he will be hard pressed to obtain decent shape on that bank.

No need to take any risk of kicking at the 10 and missing and no need of trying to draw off the five to pocket the 10 either.
                              I rest my case!
                              Tom
                              Last edited by Tom Wirth; 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM.

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
                                No Whitey, From the position you left the 8,12,5, and cue ball, the shot I suggested would NOT be to play the 10, but instead, pocket the 8 and drift the cue ball behind the 12 and 5. The 8 spots and my opponent is now in a major trap. This is exactly why I did not like sending the five towards the other two balls.

By leaving the 5 ball short of the 8 he will not be in a position to hook me. Therefore he will be forced to pocket the 10 and attempt to score position on the 5 ball cross corner bank. By leaving the cue ball where he must use the bridge in shooting the 10 he will be hard pressed to obtain decent shape on that bank.

No need to take any risk of kicking at the 10 and missing and no need of trying to draw off the five to pocket the 10 either.
                                I rest my case!
                                Tom

Also left the four railer.. Sometimes it's hard to come up with the perfect solution. Who else wants to try? This thread is just getting going good...

"Born Into This"

Comment

Working...
                                X