Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Pocket HOF dinner location

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One Pocket HOF dinner location

    I have been informed by the Horseshoe staff that they no longer have any available room facility there to host our Hall of Fame dinner. That is a result of the renovations that are moving the casino from the boat to the mainland (as a result of law changes I presume). Too bad, the Derby City Classic has been a great place to hold our dinner for about 15 years now, going back to the Executive West (and East) and then for 10 years a few different spots in the Horseshoe -- from one year the tables upstairs were covered and that's where the dinner was, to a bunch of years at "Legends" and "Smoke & Rye", to last year at the Diamond room on the boat.

    In the beginning we also had some roving locations -- one in Shreveport for Eddie Taylor and another in South Carolina for Nick Varner. One in Boston for Boston Shorty in fact.

    So here we are, looking at coming up with something new for 2020... and entertaining suggestions.
    "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
    -- Strawberry Brooks

  • #2
    Daisies in New Albany has the buffet setup and its the closest to the Casino that i can think of..... I eat breakfast there and its inexpensive. Maybe they would do a private party?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
      I have been informed by the Horseshoe staff that they no longer have any available room facility there to host our Hall of Fame dinner. That is a result of the renovations that are moving the casino from the boat to the mainland (as a result of law changes I presume). Too bad, the Derby City Classic has been a great place to hold our dinner for about 15 years now, going back to the Executive West (and East) and then for 10 years a few different spots in the Horseshoe -- from one year the tables upstairs were covered and that's where the dinner was, to a bunch of years at "Legends" and "Smoke & Rye", to last year at the Diamond room on the boat.

      In the beginning we also had some roving locations -- one in Shreveport for Eddie Taylor and another in South Carolina for Nick Varner. One in Boston for Boston Shorty in fact.

      So here we are, looking at coming up with something new for 2020... and entertaining suggestions.
      sorry to hear this steve….i know the event means a lot to you....

      perhaps possibly call in the "big gun" and have HOFer greg sullivan lean on the horseshoe a little....wtf....that big of a place and they can't swing it - BS....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
        I have been informed by the Horseshoe staff that they no longer have any available room facility there to host our Hall of Fame dinner. That is a result of the renovations that are moving the casino from the boat to the mainland (as a result of law changes I presume). Too bad, the Derby City Classic has been a great place to hold our dinner for about 15 years now, going back to the Executive West (and East) and then for 10 years a few different spots in the Horseshoe -- from one year the tables upstairs were covered and that's where the dinner was, to a bunch of years at "Legends" and "Smoke & Rye", to last year at the Diamond room on the boat.

        In the beginning we also had some roving locations -- one in Shreveport for Eddie Taylor and another in South Carolina for Nick Varner. One in Boston for Boston Shorty in fact.

        So here we are, looking at coming up with something new for 2020... and entertaining suggestions.
        Originally posted by Miller View Post
        sorry to hear this steve….i know the event means a lot to you....

        perhaps possibly call in the "big gun" and have HOFer greg sullivan lean on the horseshoe a little....wtf....that big of a place and they can't swing it - BS....
        worst that can happen is get another "no" from someone in position to say "yes." very well could be an individual in a supervisory/mid-manager position who doesn't want to dick with it; without knowing that the event is part of the overall DCC culture....icbw (but certainly wouldn't take a "no" without at least trying a different angle....)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Miller View Post
          worst that can happen is get another "no" from someone in position to say "yes." very well could be an individual in a supervisory/mid-manager position who doesn't want to dick with it; without knowing that the event is part of the overall DCC culture....icbw (but certainly wouldn't take a "no" without at least trying a different angle....)
          Yes, that is my next step. Diamond has been clear that it means a lot to them as well -- as part of the DCC experience. So I will be talking to Greg or Chad for sure.
          "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
          -- Strawberry Brooks

          Comment


          • #6
            If the Horseshoe won't budge, and doing the dinner during the DC event is the priority, there must be somewhere else in Elizabeth, New Albany or Louisville that can host the HOF dinner. Hire a bus to transport everyone to and from the Casino. Can probably get a better dinner, too.

            Comment


            • #7
              One Pocket HOF dinner location

              Maybe consider changing the HOF dinner during Bogies Senior event?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
                If the Horseshoe won't budge, and doing the dinner during the DC event is the priority, there must be somewhere else in Elizabeth, New Albany or Louisville that can host the HOF dinner. Hire a bus to transport everyone to and from the Casino. Can probably get a better dinner, too.
                Louisville is a ways to go. I'd figure an hour each direction, and in a hotel is going to be expensive.

                The Exchange Pub + Kitchen on Main in New Albany has a room upstairs for sit-down groups up to 40. https://exchangeforfood.com/
                I've had a couple of good meals there. It's a 15-minute drive from the Horseshoe.

                There's another brew pub across the street from the Exchange that might do groups. Probably cheaper than the Exchange.

                It is disappointing but not surprising that the Horseshoe cannot do a sit-down dinner for a group.
                Bob Jewett
                www.sfbilliards.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Louisville is a ways to go. I'd figure an hour each direction
                  Huh? It's 20 minutes to downtown, about 30 to get to the airport.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by #Cruncher View Post
                    Huh? It's 20 minutes to downtown, about 30 to get to the airport.
                    Yes, it's shorter than I remembered.
                    Bob Jewett
                    www.sfbilliards.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
                      If the Horseshoe won't budge, and doing the dinner during the DC event is the priority, there must be somewhere else in Elizabeth, New Albany or Louisville that can host the HOF dinner. Hire a bus to transport everyone to and from the Casino. Can probably get a better dinner, too.
                      That's an interesting idea. It might be too much of an impediment for some people though. There is so much going on at the Derby people don't want to miss out on anything already.Plus there is already the issue of people attending the dinner and match scheduling for those still in one (or more!) of the tournaments.

                      Holding it with the US Open One Pocket or another event might be a better choice. Too bad, it has been a great event within the event of DCC for almost 15 years now.
                      "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                      -- Strawberry Brooks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
                        That's an interesting idea. It might be too much of an impediment for some people though. There is so much going on at the Derby people don't want to miss out on anything already.Plus there is already the issue of people attending the dinner and match scheduling for those still in one (or more!) of the tournaments.

                        Holding it with the US Open One Pocket or another event might be a better choice. Too bad, it has been a great event within the event of DCC for almost 15 years now.
                        Buffalo's is the biggest event other than the DCC. We would be happy to host the event on the Wednesday before play starts. All the top players are at Buffalo's each year, as well as many of our members. Doing it Wednesday frees up everyone for the dinner and gives us all an added excuse to come to New Orleans. I would be happy to help you out in the planning.

                        Joe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                          Buffalo's is the biggest event other than the DCC. We would be happy to host the event on the Wednesday before play starts. All the top players are at Buffalo's each year, as well as many of our members. Doing it Wednesday frees up everyone for the dinner and gives us all an added excuse to come to New Orleans. I would be happy to help you out in the planning.

                          Joe
                          Joe
                          That’s a great idea and very generous of you to help out
                          Do they have a room and the ability to cater it?
                          Larry

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lll View Post
                            Joe
                            That’s a great idea and very generous of you to help out
                            Do they have a room and the ability to cater it?
                            Larry
                            There are literally dozens of restaurants within 5 minutes that have a banquet room and the ability to cater. With the green light, I will begin to make a list. This is literally no problem. New Orleans is built for these kinds of parties.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                              Buffalo's is the biggest event other than the DCC. We would be happy to host the event on the Wednesday before play starts. All the top players are at Buffalo's each year, as well as many of our members. Doing it Wednesday frees up everyone for the dinner and gives us all an added excuse to come to New Orleans. I would be happy to help you out in the planning.

                              Joe
                              Sounds good to me Joe, all great reasons too!!
                              "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
                              -- Strawberry Brooks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X