Ghost vs. Ike 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kybanks View Post
    I am in the camp of coming off the 5 ball and 2 rails into the stack.
    Played the same shot in a game yesterday. Very easy to execute as you are close to the 5.

Comment

I try to look at all my options and weigh the cost/benefit as well as the probability of success of each shot. Once I choose the shot I then move on to the execution portion of the shot. Often times I do not look to see if I am getting the most from the chosen shot.

That happened to me in this particular wwyd. I chose to take the intentional 2 rail shot into the stack and most likely I would have moved directly to the execution without really studying the shot. To maximize the effectiveness of the shot the cb needs to be played off the 15 and tuck under the 13. The opponent would then be blocked from 2 railing to a safe zone back in front of your pocket.

The point is try to get everything you can out of the chosen shot.

Try harder!
      Raise your expectations!

Comment

Originally posted by TxOnePocket View Post
        Moving the 5 ball starts to look better and better, since we think his only recourse is to two rail back to where he was, because the 5 ball just changed his shot.

That's why I liked moving the 5 ball up a bit, that helps keep someone like Bernie P., from getting behind those balls and torturing you with them the rest of the game. I've seen him do it enough times, to realize that just having balls near your pocket isn't good enough, you have to keep a mover, from being able to use balls around your pocket, against you.

Comment

Ghost vs. Ike 1

Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
          That's why I liked moving the 5 ball up a bit, that helps keep someone like Bernie P., from getting behind those balls and torturing you with them the rest of the game. I've seen him do it enough times, to realize that just having balls near your pocket isn't good enough, you have to keep a mover, from being able to use balls around your pocket, against you.

Nice thinking ahead!

Comment

I'm pushing into the 3 Scratch shot, enough that I can see that 10 ball. Which becomes My 3 ball/ wired bank combo. You'll have much better cueing position than your opponent who's Over a ball, he'll probably bump it back....your next shot, the combo.
            Bill Meacham
            WBT
            www.worldbilliardtour.com
            no link....

Comment

I played the 1 ball bank 4 or 5 times and found I banked it into the balls by the pocket opening them up and the cueball across behind the stack.

Comment

As several members strongly stated....as TxOnePocket precisely drew it up in post #36....and as BmtPaul eloquently and succinctly phrased it here:

Originally posted by Bmoretallpaul View Post
                Thin off the 5 ball. Cue goes 2 rails into the stack. This opens the 3 balls near your pocket and if you get him in the stack. Checkmate
                ^^^
                Of course - that shot was the nuts here...Ike couldn't have paid me to shoot anything else...here's how it turned out >>>

And once again I have to tell my students on here: Beware of false prophets telling you to shoot anything else other than this shot (now Whitey, don't get mad at me again for saying that )
                Attached Files
                Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 10-24-2019, 06:54 PM.
                jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

nice shot Ghost, see I don't even look at those because of messing up my own straight in combo but the way it turned out looks nice, I will have to open my mind to shots like this more often...I saw the intentional right away but not thinning off the 5.

Comment

Originally posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
                    As several members strongly stated....as TxOnePocket precisely drew it up in post #36....and as BmtPaul eloquently and succinctly phrased it here:

^^^
                    Of course - that shot was the nuts here...Ike couldn't have paid me to shoot anything else...here's how it turned out >>>

And once again I have to tell my students on here: Beware of false prophets telling you to shoot anything else other than this shot (now Whitey, don't get mad at me again for saying that )

Nice shot Ghostie (you mover, you). I notice that in your first picture posted, that the 13 ball clears nicely the 7 ball and banks back to Ike's hole.

Your last picture showing the result of your shot shows that you hit the 15 ball, moving it slightly, while leaving a space between the 15 ball and the CB, leaving a very straight bank on the 13 ball back to Ike's hole.

I presume that Ike banked that 13 back to near his hole and left you pinned to the stack, forcing you to come out from behind the stack to move the 13 ball away from his hole.

Is that what happened? And did you get any of those balls by your hole?

Just trying to learn, buddy. FOR FREE
                    The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

I figured Ike kicked at the 8 and cleared the pocket
                      Ghost, the bank on the one does the same thing but the cue ball is over by the side pocket and the balls moved apart by the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by darmoose View Post
                        I presume that Ike banked that 13 back to near his hole and left you pinned to the stack, forcing you to come out from behind the stack to move the 13 ball away from his hole.

Is that what happened? And did you get any of those balls by your hole?
                        Darrell, , but this game happened 3-4 weeks ago and I can't remember what Ike shot next...but I do know that it didn't go well for him, as I won this game 8-0 or 8-1, I forget which.

Originally posted by one pocket guy View Post
                        Ghost, the bank on the one does the same thing but the cue ball is over by the side pocket and the balls moved apart by the hole.
                        Brother Todd, with all joking aside, I'll explain my thinking here...

I know that I'll successfully execute the shot that I chose 8 or 9 out of ten tries...conversely...

Being half-jacked by the 8ball, I would probably execute the bank of the one ball successfully 1 or 2 out of ten tries...and when I say execute the bank successfully, that means none of these things can be allowed to happen:

Strike the 1 poorly so that it doesn't bank to anywhere near my pocket.

Control the cueball unsuccessfully and go short and hit the top of the stack....or go too long, too slow, or too hard, and thus get no cover from the stack....or I scratch cross-side.

Or I bank/get the 1ball near my pocket, but Ike is able to respond by kicking off my long rail into the 1, sending it at his pocket while leaving me behind the three-ball-cluster.

And even if I avoid all of these pitfalls and hit the bank good = leaving it near my pocket but but not making it...Ike can just shoot the 4-rail billiard and have his cueball end up by my pocket/behind the 1ball.

All of that, is why it was a no-brainer for me to choose the "close to my work" and very effective, twice across and into the stack shot.

- Ghost
                        Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 10-24-2019, 10:08 PM.
                        jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

Comment

Thanks for your analysis Bruce.
                          I guess the shot was easily for me being taller, but I didn’t hit it well every time.
                          I was playing whitey and getting the one close, but the bank never turned back toward the pocket and pleasantly surprised me breaking the balls open. That was my only reason for posting the results.~T

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
                            When I envisioned coming off the 5 and two rail into the stack it was a rub only and would disrupt the combo. I did not see pulling the 5 that far out which clearly protects from your opponent bringing the cb back under.

This is a great shot and I will try to keep it in mind when presented with a similar situation in the future.

Comment

But now your opponent can shoot the 13 ball up table and back 3 diamonds, and hide you behind the 7 ball.
                              Bill Meacham
                              WBT
                              www.worldbilliardtour.com
                              no link....

Comment

I saw somebody say "checkmate".

There is a better than even money bank on the 13 right there. You simply play for the bank on the one and win or lose it right here.

Comment

Working...
                                X