No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. Donn 23 wwyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also like slicing the 8ball with a tip and a half to two tips of left English hitting it softly. IMO this shot needs to be hit with a speed to control the 8ball to end up as close to the pocket as possible. A slight over cut will suffice leaving the 8ball in the pocket a very high percentage of the time. Another advantage shooting the shot with a soft speed is that your accuracy will be raised to a high level and you take away the possible two cushion scratch in your opponents pocket. This speed will also give you better control with the cue ball in terms of direction.

side note...Don't over spin this shot.

Dr. Bill
    Last edited by wincardona; 11-02-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I am fairly sure I am two rialing the 3 with good speed but the angle entirely determined by where I cna freeze the cue ball and get as much positive action on the three ball

Comment

[rnewkirk] I would try to cut 8 with lots of left English to get down to end rail on the 10 ball.

I would shoot the same shot (cut the 8 ball with lots of left English to get down to the end rail on the 10-ball) as posted by "rnewkirk" and would use the same mindset and technique as described by Dr. Bill.

Comment

im with beatle and John on this one...not that I may get 3 out of it but I am shooting the 8 with outside to keep the CB up table.

Comment

The cut on the eight is fine. Spinning the cue ball down table is the way to go if playing that shot. Your speed better be right though or you may sell out a cross bank on it. Word of warning; don't clip those three balls near the foot spot. I'm not a fan of using right english on this shot. I don't like the idea of giving my opponent options on his reply. He could choose to cut the twelve and come across for the ten or possibly the combo on the ball at the back of the three ball cluster. And if in playing the eight you bring the cue ball back to your own side you now give him the option of cutting the seven.

I personally like the kick on the twelve ball unless I will be leaving a good angle on a bank at one of those ball near the spot. That could possibly alter my decision. I hit these kick shots pretty consistently and the angle looks good for a full hit on the back of the ball, so a soft speed and a full hit will be enough to send the twelve to the hole and the cue ball will for the most part stop dead. This shot does a number of positive things for the shooter and is just about free. The kick obviously provides additional shots should the ball fall and it removes the opponent's one clear asset.

Either the eight or the kick can work well. The way it appears to me kick is just a slight favorite.

Tom
            Last edited by Tom Wirth; 11-03-2019, 09:39 AM.

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Ghost vs. Donn 23 wwyd?

Isn’t there’s kids you have to avoid on the 8?

Comment

Originally posted by youngstownkid View Post
                Isn’t there’s kids you have to avoid on the 8?
                Kids aren’t allowed. You have to be 21

Comment

either way you shoot the 8 it is going to be in front of your hole and he will have to deal with it.

one way you might leave him a long shot to shoot at. the other way you leave little but may sell out if you are off and hit those balls down table or leave an easy bank.

hitting a ball very thin and controlling the cue balls path is very difficult if you hit it even slightly off, which almost all players will do as there is a small margin on thin cuts.

change the thread to wwed (what would efren do) and then discuss other options.

Comment

Cutting the 8 has appeal, but if you miss there are so many ways to sell out, whether you hit it with left or right English. If I had to shoot it, I'd go for the z pattern and slightly overcut it and hope the cit helps it find the hole or at least leave it close to the short rail to take away the return bank. Bill suggests hitting it softly but where does the cue ball end up? To be safe, I'd think you'd have to hit the z pattern hard enough to get the cue ball within a diamond of opponent's pocket.

Since the 3 won't go in, I'd pass on the 2 railer.

My shot is the very makeable kick on the 12. Like Tom says, it lays perfectly for a nearly full ball hit so the cue ball will just trickle down the rail a little, making a bank shot on one of the balls in the middle much tougher. Speed is key, so as to not give up the cross bank on the 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
                      Cutting the 8 has appeal, but if you miss there are so many ways to sell out, whether you hit it with left or right English. If I had to shoot it, I'd go for the z pattern and slightly overcut it and hope the cit helps it find the hole or at least leave it close to the short rail to take away the return bank. Bill suggests hitting it softly but where does the cue ball end up? To be safe, I'd think you'd have to hit the z pattern hard enough to get the cue ball within a diamond of opponent's pocket.

Since the 3 won't go in, I'd pass on the 2 railer.

My shot is the very makeable kick on the 12. Like Tom says, it lays perfectly for a nearly full ball hit so the cue ball will just trickle down the rail a little, making a bank shot on one of the balls in the middle much tougher. Speed is key, so as to not give up the cross bank on the 12.
                      If you miss the 12, looks like the 13 and 9 bank to opponents hole. The 8 has a better chance of a free shot although the correct spin is key

Comment

Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                        If you miss the 12, looks like the 13 and 9 bank to opponents hole. The 8 has a better chance of a free shot although the correct spin is key
                        It looks to me that the cue ball would ticky down behind the kick and end up near the 2nd diamond, which would make those banks sucker shots if the 12 has ended up close to my pocket. I might shoot the 8 after looking them over, but getting that right spin is no certainty and it could easily go very wrong.

Comment

I shot my straight thru the 8 twice both times it went into the balls on the stack opening them up to my side. Both times whitey sat within the trough along the foot rail. No more then a 1/2 diamond from opponents pocket.

This really left him in a tough place.

Comment

With the score at 3-4, I'm not behind in this game, as my opponent still needs 5 to my 4. As Tom mentioned, a lot of things could go wrong by cutting the 8 and zigzagging the CB. But the same could be said of the kick on the 12 because unless it's hit very well, there's a real chance of leaving a cross bank. I prefer leaving the 12 where it is for now and focusing on sending the CB to the bottom rail by force-following the 8 and protecting the 7. Angle permitting, disrupting the 9-1 combination with the the 8 would be an added bonus. Otherwise, the 8 is heading back up table to his side. I'd like to make it practically impossible for him to get 5.

Comment

Cutting the 8 with 1 tip of left only, like Dr. Bill suggests is a clear winner. The cue ball easily clears everything and comes down for a shot on the 10.

I also played the 3 with reverse English to keep the cb on the head rail. If the 3 goes then you are on the next two balls, if it does not go then you are leaving a presure shot on the 12, with the 3 by your hole.

I like the 8 ball shot the best. Made it first try!

You'd have to take a gun to my head to kick the 12 over to my side! Sorry but a poor shot selection IMHO! Whitey
                              Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 11-04-2019, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis "Whitey" Young View Post
                                Cutting the 8 with 1 tip of left only, like Dr. Bill suggests is a clear winner. The cue ball easily clears everything and comes down for a shot on the 10.

I also played the 7 with reverse English to keep the cb on the head rail. If the 7 goes then you are on the next two balls, if it does not go then you are leaving a presure shot on the 12, with the 7 by your hole.

I like the 8 ball shot the best. Made it first try!

You'd have to take a gun to my head to kick the 12 over to my side! Sorry but a poor shot selection IMHO! Whitey
                                Whitey, Don't you think you are being a bit overly critical of that kick shot? Really, "A gun to my head?" Please. BTW, that comment didn't sound so humble to me. LOL.
                                I guess if you don't know how to play it I can see how you would want to pass on the shot, but let's see how you would feel about the cut on the eight ball if you didn't know that shot.

Maybe you just have an aversion to kick shots.
                                Personally, I"m okay with either shot. Maybe you would be too if you took some time to study them.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X