No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. Donn 23 wwyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if left a little higher he gets to bank two balls over by his hole and hook him.
    now he just gets to do it with one ball.

thats why i shoot the 8 and low right where i can get lucky and hang it and block his view of it if i miss..

both the kick and 8 are tough to make but not hard to hit close. but only one gets you a big reward for being close. but both are viable shots for different players.

Comment

I like both shots, the kick on the twelve and the cut on the eight, but I would prefer the cut shot. The 12 could leave a return bank (like it almost did). The speed required to cut the eight and get the cue ball in position for the ten ball will be enough to get the eight out of there if you don't make it..

I don't believe the speed is correct to hang the eight and position the ten ball. With the cut shot the only thing I would be concerned with is that after missing the pocket the eight might come back and kiss the cue ball. Slim chance but could happen.

Comment

The cut shot is a free shot all day long. Great rotation players live off this shot....they just make sure to not....overcut the ball. This shot is all about cue ball speed....If you make the ball, your cue ball angle for your next shot will be good.
        Bill Meacham
        WBT
        www.worldbilliardtour.com
        no link....

Comment

Originally posted by beatle View Post
          if left a little higher he gets to bank two balls over by his hole and hook him.
          now he just gets to do it with one ball.

thats why i shoot the 8 and low right where i can get lucky and hang it and block his view of it if i miss..

both the kick and 8 are tough to make but not hard to hit close. but only one gets you a big reward for being close. but both are viable shots for different players.
          Outside on the 8 also works

Comment

I am two railing the eight just as it lays and following the cue ball down to the end rail. I don’t like cutting the eight because there may be a kiss if you go down table with the cue ball and any shot that leaves the cue ball up table leaves him a dead combo that throws in a bit. He can’t kick the combo from the end rail because it will throw up too much.
            JOHN HENDERSON
            Al Romero Cue
            Magic Chalk

Comment

if you dont overcut the 8 and miss on the z shot, then you leave an easy bank and free position so you can lose the game.

you cant pick hard to make shots that cost you big time if you dont hit them perfectly. remember some of us are humans, not me of course but others, and can make a poor hit.

Comment

Originally posted by jrhendy View Post
                I am two railing the eight just as it lays and following the cue ball down to the end rail. I don’t like cutting the eight because there may be a kiss if you go down table with the cue ball and any shot that leaves the cue ball up table leaves him a dead combo that throws in a bit. He can’t kick the combo from the end rail because it will throw up too much.
                I just don’t see what that accomplishes. You’ll have to hit that 8 pretty hard. It might hit those three balls and who knows where they go after that, if not the 8 won’t be in a better spot than it is now.

Comment

He took a shot at pocketing a ball, put the cb in a fairly good location for himself if it went so he could run some balls, balls do not lay well for opponent.

All that equates to a good shot, the more times you do above the more you are gonna win, but i think the odds are better to pocket the 8.

I saw RA hit those kicks and he could actually make them, like for real they were like cut shots to the rest of us to him.

Comment

I still like the cut shot. Here is a a recreation in Virtual Pool of the original position:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[395].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	401582

And here is the cut shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[397].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	401583

From the overhead view it looks like the nine-one is not dead to my opponent's pocket.
                    Bob Jewett
                    www.sfbilliards.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jewett View Post
                      I still like the cut shot. Here is a a recreation in Virtual Pool of the original position:

From the overhead view it looks like the nine-one is not dead to my opponent's pocket.

That's what I'm talking about.. Awesome diagrams.. Great to see you posting on this board.. Hope you hang...
                      "Born Into This"

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Jewett View Post

[ATTACH]25297[/ATTACH]

And here is the cut shot:

[ATTACH]25298[/ATTACH]

Good post Bob, that's pretty much how the shot will play out following your lines. IMO, one of the keys to the shot is to hit it with a soft speed playing the 8ball pocket speed will send the cue ball to where you depicted it in the drawing.

Dr. Bill

Comment

good post maybe show a diagram of what if you hit it just a bit off on either side.

its obviously the best shot if all goes well. and a great choice for many. not for me as ive seen thin cuts that go dramatically different than i planned.

Comment

Bob Jewett,
                            Thanks so much for the views, what a help! On your overhead view the lines you drew shows a narrow first angle coming off the 8. This is the angle I got also when I set up the shot, and as you can see if this angle continues then the cb runs into the stack of 3 balls which is what happened to me when using straight center, no english.

Now as per your overhead path line then when you apply 1 tip of left english then is when the cb would follow the drawn lines. Which is what I did and got the same results as your diagram.

And as Dr. Bill points out, this is the results of soft pocket speed, which is also what I got in actually do it on a table.

PS. There is absolute no kiss on this shot, even if you do over cut it! Thanks guys! Whitey
                            Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 11-05-2019, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Bob, is it safe to say, if you overcut it you most likely double kiss?

Comment

Bob can correct me if I am wrong, but if that's Virtual Pool, if you have the lines "turned on" when you aim shots it will show you where OB and CB are going to go with whatever english you have on it. So I don't think he drew them but instead was showing the shot can be made if hit correctly (according to the VP game)

On a side note, Virtual Pool 4 added one hole and its the best online pool game ever invented..I have made posts and threads about it numerous times....so much fun when you have another one pocket player that knows the game...so many moves, so real, its crazy!

You can pick the different sizes of tables and pocket sizes so when we played one hole, we played it on the 10 foot tables with super tight pockets. You can still run some balls if you are in stroke, but it makes it a much better moving game that way.

By the way, the "lines" i mentioned earlier are in practice mode only, when you are playing an opponent, you actually have to aim hehe...

I haven't played in a year or 2 but if we had some members interested I would resign up...costs like $10 for a year of play...(and its not just one hole, its EVERY game...all the rotation games, all the snooker games, all the carom games and some you have never heard of)

Comment

Working...
                                X