Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kybanks View Post
    That was the shot I posted Doc, like early in the thread, post #6
    Right you are, my friend. I'd forgotten that you'd posted that. I'd try to hit it in such a way as to not leave a bank on the 10, but with the CB closest to the diagonal from the pocket to the foot spot.

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
      Right you are, my friend. I'd forgotten that you'd posted that. I'd try to hit it in such a way as to not leave a bank on the 10, but with the CB closest to the diagonal from the pocket to the foot spot.
      Imo it would be hard to lose the game coming off the 10 ball. The balls definitely favor me . The cut on the 8 is for those that are late for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Kybanks View Post
        Imo it would be hard to lose the game coming off the 10 ball. The balls definitely favor me . The cut on the 8 is for those that are late for dinner.
        For those who prefer to play passively coming off the 10ball IMO is a much better option then playing safe shooting the 8ball with a follow. The 8ball is in a favorable position for the shooter there's no reason to move it. Playing off the 10ball you move the 10 from a neutral position to where it favors the shooter.

I'm not late for dinner but I'm still cutting the 8ball for my choice of options.

The cut on the 8ball is somewhat demanding, I agree but for those who feel good about the shot it's a very strong option.

Dr. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
          Another defensive shot which no one has mentioned is to simply roll the CB off the right of the 10 ball (probably about a 1/2 ball hit). The 10 rolls up to or near the cluster, while the CB stays in the general area.

It's a passive, but possibly effective, selection as an alternate to the 8 ball follow shot. The opponent would have nothing good offensively in return from there, unless he wanted to attempt some type of Dixie Whistler on the 12, or an inadvisable potential 2-railer on the 8.

~Doc
          Doc. I got to thinking what might happen rolling off the ten ball. I see how the shot has merits if the idea is to play safe here because as Bill suggested the eight is in a good location. On the other hand, there is a potential problem with the shot. The shot must be played fairly softly so as to keep the cue ball low enough not to give up a bank on any of the three balls near the foot spot. Softly rolling the cue ball the length of the table carries the risk of it drifting off line, and as close as the ten ball is to the rail a double kiss could easily leave a nice cross corner bank. For this reason I would have to toss that possible shot out of the running.

Like Bill, I'm sticking with either the inside english cut on the eight or the kick on the twelve.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
            Doc. I got to thinking what might happen rolling off the ten ball. I see how the shot has merits if the idea is to play safe here because as Bill suggested the eight is in a good location. On the other hand, there is a potential problem with the shot. The shot must be played fairly softly so as to keep the cue ball low enough not to give up a bank on any of the three balls near the foot spot. Softly rolling the cue ball the length of the table carries the risk of it drifting off line, and as close as the ten ball is to the rail a double kiss could easily leave a nice cross corner bank. For this reason I would have to toss that possible shot out of the running.

Like Bill, I'm sticking with either the inside english cut on the eight or the kick on the twelve. Tom
            Yeah, the shot is not ideal. I'd have to take it to the table to see. But discussing purely defensive shots, it has some merit. I like following the 8 ball too, but it looks to me aimed straight at the pocket, so that changes things a little. If one has to cut the 8 even slightly, it's probably a no-go.

~Doc

Comment

Doc, I like your defensive shot off of the 10. I feel that you can bring the 10 up to lay between the stack and the 7 and protecting it with the stack from the cb. The 1 does not bank and I can not imagine that the cb will come up very high for the 10 will have more speed on it than that of the cb.
              I like your positioning after this shot, and now his 12 is in jeopardy. Trying to protect his 12 without enabling you to improve your positioning is difficult.
              Also now the 10 looms big in the open and on your side. Sounds and seems much like chess, I love it! Whitey

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post

Like Bill, I'm sticking with either the inside english cut on the eight or the kick on the twelve.

Tom
                Finally , someone else who doesn't play on tables that roll perfectly true all the time.
                Even when you level the table one day , some "smart" player will come in and lower one end and hope it takes his opponent a couple of games to catch on.

Comment

As I said earlier, I shot that straight thru the 8 ball 2x.

I believe straight thru hits a little more then a ball up from the corner pkt. Maybe I dont see it right and thats why I didnt want to thin the 8?

Both times 8 went into 3 balls by spot and whitey ended up in trough along end rail- hard to defend against from there, and no good offense options.

Comment

Working...
                  X