Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wwyd 200 a game

Originally posted by Tom Wirth View Post
    Mitch is just laying the lemon out for all of you, including those guys at Bluegrass Billiards and Fusco's.

Playing the wrong shot here and there, and making it only gives the opponent the idea that "This guy can't spell One Pocket. Eventually he won't be making those shots and will sell out over and over again. I'll just wait it out" He gets more action that way.

Mitch won five games off his opponent. I don't know how many games were played up to that point but he probably won a few extra games simply because he fired at the one ball.

You don't have to miss to get the right action in this game thought it helps. It can be just as rewarding to play what everyone knows to be the wrong shot.

Nice hit champ.

Tom

Hahah. Thanks Tom. Between taking the wrong shots and my ugly stroke, I have always gotten a game within minutes lol. Not sure if it’s a compliment or not. Probably not 😂
    Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

I"m not sure either, Mitch. It doesn't much matter though as long as you're getting the right action an making scores.

You may want to try tempering your desire to keep the gas pedal on the floor all the time though. Somewhere down the road you may find that there is a plus to having a number of gears to your game.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Comment

Guys who shoot make their opponents feel like they can't put them in more areas on the table, and the game gets tougher for them as a result. That holds true whether the shooter is missing or not.

I honestly believe a lot of very good players' aspirations are squandered because they tend toward too defensive of an overall game.

What is happening nowadays is play has gotten so aggressive at top levels, but old school players still swear correct shots are more conservative. But competition proves them not to be. It is a very confusing time to be a student of one pocket. It is much better to listen to your gut that listen to what people say "is the right shot".

Comment

Wwyd 200 a game

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
          Guys who shoot make their opponents feel like they can't put them in more areas on the table, and the game gets tougher for them as a result. That holds true whether the shooter is missing or not.

I honestly believe a lot of very good players' aspirations are squandered because they tend toward too defensive of an overall game.

What is happening nowadays is play has gotten so aggressive at top levels, but old school players still swear correct shots are more conservative. But competition proves them not to be. It is a very confusing time to be a student of one pocket. It is much better to listen to your gut that listen to what people say "is the right shot".

Well I hope you are right, because that’s what I always seem to do. And one of the best things I’ve learned since I started playing (for money) I learned here from Rod (where is Rod lately?) and it was this... “You can always Rack em up again!!”
          Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

Comment

and to repeat what el chapo said in a slightly different way.

i love to play conservative players as i always know i can roll them up table and they wont shoot unless the ball is hanging and i get another round to out move them or out shoot them and win.

its the ones that fool me and shoot often but not all the time. it makes me make unintentional mistakes that i have no control over.

it is similar to poker. if someone never bluffs or you know when he will. he is going to lose

someone that always bluffs will lose also.

someone that bluffs around game theory will charge you lots of money even if you do win overall against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
              I'm banking the 13 pocket speed, leaving the cueball near the corner and on the rail.
              Shooting shots like the one ball, is what I try to get my opponents to do.
              This is what I would do. Shooting the one ball wouldn't even cross my mind.

Comment

A truism.

I pray for my opponents to shoot the 1 ball (and cross my fingers they miss). I might even bait them with the shot. We can all shoot from the rail at the 1 ball and make it X% of the time, and also get shape X-Y% of the time, but unless you're somebody like Alex or Dennis, the odds are against you. Unless you're in a hurry to get on with it, and hate money, why take the risk when there are excellent options that allow you to improve your position and bide your time for a better opportunity?

Originally posted by LSJohn View Post
                I'd say the sooner a player starts avoiding shots that don't offer the right risk/reward based upon his/her level of skill, the sooner one will start winning more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
                  A truism.

I pray for my opponents to shoot the 1 ball (and cross my fingers they miss). I might even bait them with the shot. We can all shoot from the rail at the 1 ball and make it X% of the time, and also get shape X-Y% of the time, but unless you're somebody like Alex or Dennis, the odds are against you. Unless you're in a hurry to get on with it, and hate money, why take the risk when there are excellent options that allow you to improve your position and bide your time for a better opportunity?
                  Mitch is the favorite to make the total loser shot

Comment

Wwyd 200 a game

Originally posted by jtompilot View Post
                    Mitch is the favorite to make the total loser shot

Hahahha. So true. Whatever keeps me in action, and winning is ok by me Jimbo. Even against you 😉. .

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Almanza View Post
                      This is what I would do. Shooting the one ball wouldn't even cross my mind.
                      Yep....my post post #28....

Hit the 13 with a gearing 3 o'clock cue ball. Bank it into the 3 ball, kill spin whitey to the head rail.

With your post.....lol....I can hear your ''tone'' of voice when you say....''wouldn't even cross my mind.
                      _________________...and then you'd giggle.
                      Last edited by Island Drive; 11-04-2019, 09:42 AM.
                      Bill Meacham
                      WBT
                      www.worldbilliardtour.com
                      no link....

Comment

Hell, I know most people on here, can make the one probably nine times out of ten cinching it, but to make it, and get behind those other balls, you have to stroke it good, and thats when stuff happens. So you either cinch the one and take the only ball that goes in your hole out of play {not usually the best move] or you juice up the cueball trying to get behind those balls , not impossible , but not a cinch either, and hit it harder than necessary and lower your make percentage. Plus when you do miss , you would have to have two 4 leaf clovers up your bum to not splash some balls down there and at least get in trouble,
                        Every great one pocket player I ever met said to try to get your opponent to shoot at shots where he usually gets 1, and you might get the farm.
                        So, That doesn't apply any more because Tony Chohan shoots at everything and even when he misses he usually gets lucky an inordinate amount of the time?
                        I am the first to agree that defensive one pocket between equal players loses to the guy who is always moving balls to his hole .
                        But, only when he controls the cueball , to me Tony is a one off guy who is great fun to watch , but as far as his style of play being the new norm , I think thats ridiculous.

Comment

Wwyd 200 a game

Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
                          ...you either cinch the one and take the only ball that goes in your hole out of play {not usually the best move] or you juice up the cueball trying to get behind those balls , not impossible , but not a cinch either, and hit it harder than necessary and lower your make percentage....Every great one pocket player I ever met said to try to get your opponent to shoot at shots where he usually gets 1, and you might get the farm.

Very good points. You guys are going to make a thinker out of me one of these days!

Comment

Wwyd 200 a game

Maybe I like shooting a stop shot on the 15 to nestle CB on the 10-8 and sending a couple more balls toward my pocket...assuming the balls are laying such that the 8b doesn’t move (left) if the 15 clips it

Comment

Originally posted by Tobermory View Post
                              A truism.

The answer to that is traps are overrated. Start noticing how many times good players get out of traps. They can kick, they can foul, and the second the opponent gets one inch out of line on a safety the trap is gone. And meanwhile when guys do get shots they can run 10 or more so intentionals are nothing.

i started off as a very conservative player. I will admit i was playing better offense down the line but i started shooting way more often, and the results were not even close for me. Shooting was the clear winner. The only problem is in pool there is no money and if you shoot at your hole and play good fewer people want to play... which mitch seemed to be indicating the opposite so that is good. I think one of the huge things so many very good potential players never understand is when you say bank at a ball 100 mph, even when you miss it, your opponent is left subconciously saying man, i never would have the balls to do that. And think about when you make it!

You guys can say what you want about all the smart money sitting back and saying things like "let him shoot at those balls", but the truth as far as i am concerned is almost every very good player i know has a serious pair, and having that pair involves also executing, staying calm and making many of these shots. How many very good players out of 10 do you guys know who lean toward bunting all day?

Maybe u guys do not lose games you had shots like that one or similar and wish to god you would have shot at it after the fact. I know i did though.

I cant even make a ball right now and i just feel what you said is ridiculous honestly. I would love to play this layout from here with you again and again. You cant be leaving people here on purpose. Maybe it all depends on who you play, but i cant believe you are saying alex etc are the only ones who are winners shooting from here.
                              Last edited by El Chapo; 11-04-2019, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chapo View Post
                                You guys can say what you want about all the smart money sitting back and saying things like "let him shoot at those balls", but the truth as far as i am concerned is almost every very good player i know has a serious pair, and having that pair involves also executing, staying calm and making many of these shots. How many very good players out of 10 do you guys know who lean toward bunting all day?
                                I cant even make a ball right now and i just feel what you said is ridiculous honestly. I would love to play this layout from here with you again and again. You cant be leaving people here on purpose. Maybe it all depends on who you play, but i cant believe you are saying alex etc are the only ones who are winners shooting from here.
                                Don't get me wrong, El C. I like to shoot at my hole but not when the risk reward equation is working against me. Billy Jackets and the Kid make this point better than I can. For me it just boils down to an assessment of who I am playing, what they can do if I miss, how I'm feeling about the shot, and whether I can capitalize on my success often enough to outweigh the likely consequences of failure.

It has nothing to do with cajones. When you say that it takes a pair to shoot that shot, it makes me wish we'd have a chance to play a little sometime, including a Groundhog Day scenario with this very table setting. There is a thin line between courage and recklessness. I'll save my courage for the moments that call for it...unless we're just goofing around for less than 200 a game.

Comment

Working...
                                X