Roberto Gomez vs Billy Thorpe $500 a game Action

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I cant tell if its still going or doing playback, but its 17-12 Gomez right now...

thanks for the link Terry!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I think they finished 17-21 Gomez.
It was a great FREE stream. ;)

Yes it was.. I watched a lot of that. Thanks to The Basement, Terry H. and especially The Crab Cat for staying on top of things. Billy says he will take nine to eight for another session.. Maybe a large set. Stay tuned (up)!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes it was.. I watched a lot of that. Thanks to The Basement, Terry H. and especially The Crab Cat for staying on top of things. Billy says he will take nine to eight for another session.. Maybe a large set. Stay tuned (up)!

nice!

Yea, I was thinking when I saw the headlines that this would be a pretty darn good battle. Neither should take too long to shoot and both are great ball strikers and shot makers. Billy has him in banks though, and with his 1p experience and derby classic title a few years back, I would have thought it would have went the other way.

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX

Wow, asking for weight.

I feel like in the past year Roberto's game has gone up several notches.

I'd like to see if Roberto could outrun that spot.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Wow, asking for weight.

I think it would be a good match with or without the spot.

One thing to keep in mind (at least in my experience), when you have 2 guys that play close in speed and one gives up ANY weight 9/8 or whatever, it's more of a mental thing. The guy who is getting the weight thinks he should already win even so now he has all the confidence in the world while playing while the opposite holds true for the one giving up the weight.

Erik

From
Lancaster, PA
Seems like Billy has been mostly focused on rotation games the last couple years, particularly wanting to stay in contention for the Mosconi cup. Feel like he's missed a lot of the big OP tournaments.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Seems like Billy has been mostly focused on rotation games the last couple years, particularly wanting to stay in contention for the Mosconi cup. Feel like he's missed a lot of the big OP tournaments.

You can credit Shane for that. He has a lot of influence on the Mosconi Cup team and they are following him around. Can't blame them though. Billy got a Cuetech sponsorship and is playing better rotation.

Still, the best two young players in the country are not playing in the one pocket tournaments like they were and we are the poorer for it.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
You can credit Shane for that. He has a lot of influence on the Mosconi Cup team and they are following him around. Can't blame them though. Billy got a Cuetech sponsorship and is playing better rotation.

Still, the best two young players in the country are not playing in the one pocket tournaments like they were and we are the poorer for it.

You talking about Skyler? He can sure play one hole as well!

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Billy was at Hard Times, Sacramento a couple years back giving one of our better players huge weight for 2/3k a game. His one pocket game was very aggressive and effective. Keep sending balls at your hole and run a bunch when you make one. Good enough to break down anyone but a top player and it looks like he just ran into one of those.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Wow, asking for weight.

Billy has been a serious gambler for a long time, considering how young he is. He isn't scared , so he must have felt Roberto was holding back and still beating him, or he would normally have just dug his heels in, and fought his way back out of it.
jmo

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow, asking for weight.

Roberto is another top player that would be good to have on a shot clock if you were matched up with him. For sure Billy Thorpe doesn't need one. If I were Billy I would take the clock before the 9-8 spot lol.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Billy has been a serious gambler for a long time, considering how young he is. He isn't scared , so he must have felt Roberto was holding back and still beating him, or he would normally have just dug his heels in, and fought his way back out of it.
jmo

Billy does like to go all in on his matches. He blew 30K to Danny first getting 8-7, then getting 8-7, 9-7 in New Orleans a couple years back. He can't beat Roberto though. Roberto is playing top 10 speed right now. Only the top 5 really have to beat him the way he is playing. He'd probably play anyone below Corey right now in the top 10.