Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Players

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by NH Steve View Post
    Personally I think Tony Chohan should demand a clock -- of course for himself also --if he is challenging Orcollo again. As for the viewers, it is clearly why Pat Fleming ALWAYS has a shot clock for Accustats recorded One Pocket matches. All the One Pocket streamers would benefit from having a shot clock (assuming they could get someone to reliably run it of course).

    In fact, anyone streaming does not even have to reinvent the wheel -- Pat has been doing this for many years now, and there is hardly a top tier player who has not played with his shot clock method -- either at DCC or any of the other events Accustats has recorded over the last 10 years or so.
    I have always been in favor of a shot clock! It doesn't have to be real short or anything.

    Heck if a guy can't figure out his shot while studying the table for a full minute, he probably isn''t going ot figure it out in 5 or 15...

    Do 1 minute per shot with 3 extensions per game of an extra minute each. Would do wonders for people watching the streams for sure...

    I would prefer it that way when I gambled or tourney play too but that's just me...

    Comment


    • #17
      I view slow play as a player that takes a long time to shoot and agree with beatle ref these players (have the nuts and bet where u want it). As far as moving balls uptable and out of play with a sizable lead in a game, I consider this to be managing the game and playing the score rather than slow play. I may slow my own pace of play down a bit with the lead in an attempt to have my opponent make an error and end that rack.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by rnewkirk View Post
        Rodney, Where are you playing in San Antone ? Bananas ?

        Miss stopping at Bananas and nearly always getting action or watching some good games.
        3333 West ave, a lotta fish like me, they won't bet much, and are leary of strangers.
        Rod.

        Rodney Stephens.
        (e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working

        Comment


        • #19
          [QUOTE=El Chapo;266914]Or what about watching them?! Anyone have advice on how to deal with that?



          I watched an Orcollo match not too long ago. Youtube has a 15 second fast forward button on my ipad. I was consistently hitting it three to four times as he came to the table for standard shots! Imagine the complicated shots.

          I totally agree, I watch a lot of one pocket and it's tough to watch Orcollo. I would have no issue with the use of a shot clock.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
            I have always been in favor of a shot clock! It doesn't have to be real short or anything.

            Heck if a guy can't figure out his shot while studying the table for a full minute, he probably isn''t going ot figure it out in 5 or 15...

            Do 1 minute per shot with 3 extensions per game of an extra minute each. Would do wonders for people watching the streams for sure...

            I would prefer it that way when I gambled or tourney play too but that's just me...
            Ding, Ding, Ding!

            Comment


            • #21
              I saw a Facebook post today from the Break Room. They have new monitors on each table that have pictures of the players, scoring and shot clocks. Pretty cool
              They were kinda advertising for the guy. I'll see if i can find the post and picture later

              Comment


              • #22
                What would the penalty be for violating the shot clock?
                Skin

                "It's easy!" - Coach Acosta, former Mexican pro, instructing his 10 y/o little leaguers

                Comment


                • #23
                  On shot clocks

                  Until our sport gets to the point where these men can make a decent living, do we really have any right to complain that they are playing too slowly? This tournament or gambling match is how they make a living. If they play fast and lose, they don't eat. So easy on the criticism of the slow play. Alex and Dennis are the slowest players. They are also the greatest players. Coincidence?

                  Let's ease up on the criticism about slow play. Maybe you're just smart and figure it out quicker.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Skin View Post
                    What would the penalty be for violating the shot clock?
                    I would think it would be a foul, play the ball where it lies....

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                      Until our sport gets to the point where these men can make a decent living, do we really have any right to complain that they are playing too slowly? This tournament or gambling match is how they make a living. If they play fast and lose, they don't eat. So easy on the criticism of the slow play. Alex and Dennis are the slowest players. They are also the greatest players. Coincidence?

                      Let's ease up on the criticism about slow play. Maybe you're just smart and figure it out quicker.
                      Agreed....and there's two sides to this coin. At their skill level, when they do get a shot, the only complaining I hear is....''he ran 8 & out too fast".
                      Bill Meacham
                      WBT
                      www.worldbilliardtour.com
                      no link....

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                        Until our sport gets to the point where these men can make a decent living, do we really have any right to complain that they are playing too slowly? This tournament or gambling match is how they make a living. If they play fast and lose, they don't eat. So easy on the criticism of the slow play. Alex and Dennis are the slowest players. They are also the greatest players. Coincidence?

                        Let's ease up on the criticism about slow play. Maybe you're just smart and figure it out quicker.
                        You know I pretty much agree with almost everything you say on here and I do see what you are saying about if they play fast and lose, they don't eat, I get it.

                        I think, however, that one of the things that would help one pocket become a more popular game and be more fan-friendly is to have the game go a bit faster. The games can be long, but the time in between shots probably needs to be managed somehow.

                        After all, more fans = more sponsors. More sponsors = more money for everybody, including the players!

                        And yes, they are the best 2 players and probably slowest 2, but I would be willing to bet if they had a 1 minute shot clock they would still be at the top of the pack!

                        As always just my opinion....

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                          I would think it would be a foul, play the ball where it lies....
                          That would be the same as an intentional taken by tapping the cb with the ferrule - spot one and sit down.
                          Skin

                          "It's easy!" - Coach Acosta, former Mexican pro, instructing his 10 y/o little leaguers

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by BRLongArm View Post
                            Alex and Dennis are the slowest players...
                            And Justin Bergman.
                            jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                              You know I pretty much agree with almost everything you say on here and I do see what you are saying about if they play fast and lose, they don't eat, I get it.

                              I think, however, that one of the things that would help one pocket become a more popular game and be more fan-friendly is to have the game go a bit faster. The games can be long, but the time in between shots probably needs to be managed somehow.

                              After all, more fans = more sponsors. More sponsors = more money for everybody, including the players!

                              And yes, they are the best 2 players and probably slowest 2, but I would be willing to bet if they had a 1 minute shot clock they would still be at the top of the pack!

                              As always just my opinion....
                              I agree totally with you, CK, on this viewpoint. So long as the rules are the same for everyone, and they know the rules going in, I don't see anyone being disadvantaged by a reasonable time clock. I would love to see a time clock on all streamed events and all tournaments where doing so is possible.

                              I think your description of a one minute clock, with 3 one minute extensions per game is perfect.

                              As for how to apply this rule, I would suggest that if a player goes past the one minute, he automatically goes into his first extension, and each time thereafter he goes past a one minute mark he goes automatically into his second and then third extensions.

                              Once he has used up his three extensions, going past the one minute clock time results in him having to immediately stop, spot a ball, then he has a further one minute to shoot.

                              I am aware that some have suggested that the penalty for exceeding the allotted time is loss of turn (and maybe even a ball as well). I think this is a severe penalty probably causing loss of game and is too impactful. I think penalizing slow play as described above will get the proper attention.

                              I also agree with the idea that instituting such a rule will help to promote one pocket viewing and playing.

                              Lastly, it is encouraging to see that most on here are knowledgeable enough and intelligent enough to differentiate between slow play and style of play. I don't think OP is meant to always be played in 15 minutes. If one runs 8 and out in 5 minutes once in a while that's fine. If a game takes on a more defensive nature and lasts longer than usual that's also fine. Requiring players to move along at an acceptable pace is fine. Setting a time limit for length of game is not fine.

                              I do think that where a time clock is used, no two hour or three hour limitation on matches will be necessary.

                              Last edited by darmoose; 11-07-2019, 07:02 PM. Reason: error
                              The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by darmoose View Post

                                Once he has used up his three extensions, going past the one minute clock time results in him having to immediately stop, spot a ball, then he has a further one minute to shoot.

                                I considered this when wondering about the penalty. Suppose the guy is in a trap and he gets to spot a ball after using up all his extensions but still stays at the table. Then he shoots the spotted ball in and runs out. That's all he needed. A crime, I tell you! For that reason I didn't like it when considering the penalty for a shot clock violation.
                                Skin

                                "It's easy!" - Coach Acosta, former Mexican pro, instructing his 10 y/o little leaguers

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X