Slow Players

ChalkHead

Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom for playing against slow players (I mean really slow players)?

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom for playing against slow players (I mean really slow players)?

Only play them if you have the nuts and play for a big enough bet to cover the extra time you waste playing them. . Sound advice from Beatle

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

See post above first....

Resign yourself to going with the slow pace -- if that is what the pace of the game is going to be. Try not to let it bother you, **IF** you have decided you want to be in the game.

Also, if you feel your strength is stronger in the rack end of the table, where games tend to move quicker, then try to keep the games down there more, and resist them pushing the balls up table out of play game after game. You can do that to a degree by "not playing along" with their push for the uptable game. And also to a degree by not letting them easily get "under the balls" -- which is the main strategy for getting your opponent to help push balls up table.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I couldn't/wouldn't do it when I was younger. I've landed in a place where many play that speed, some are good action, now that I'm older I look at the time between shots as a rest period for me. :p

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I've slower played a slow player before, in turn his game fell apart. He also hated it when I turned my back from his shot. I did trust him (there was a crowd:).

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
I couldn't/wouldn't do it when I was younger. I've landed in a place where many play that speed, some are good action, now that I'm older I look at the time between shots as a rest period for me. :p

Rodney, Where are you playing in San Antone ? Bananas ?

Miss stopping at Bananas and nearly always getting action or watching some good games.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Unless you can win enough to make it worth putting up with , or learn from them while beating them, or need toughening up and can win money and use it for that purpose at the same time .....then ...life is too short to fool around with goofs, if you hang around with them long enough , you will become one. So just say , not today thanks , I'm not playing well enough to give you a good game .
{ I have had people give me the nuts, by saying this exact thing, and then they always say , but I ain't playing cheap!}
I just hated when that happened. :heh

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
See post above first....

Resign yourself to going with the slow pace -- if that is what the pace of the game is going to be. Try not to let it bother you, **IF** you have decided you want to be in the game.

Also, if you feel your strength is stronger in the rack end of the table, where games tend to move quicker, then try to keep the games down there more, and resist them pushing all the balls up table out of play game after game. You can do that to a degree by "not playing along" with their push for the uptable game. And also to a degree by not letting them easily get under the balls-- which is the main strategy for getting your opponent to help push balls up table.

I couldn't/wouldn't do it when I was younger. I've landed in a place where many play that speed, some are good action, now that I'm older I look at the time between shots as a rest period for me.

We could use some clarification here. The OP is asking how to deal with slow players. Is that someone who takes too long to shoot, or is that someone who plays a tighter, more strategic style of game? Is a "slow player" just anyone who ain't a GO-FER who might keep you from playing a game every 15 minutes?

El Chapo

Verified Member
Or what about watching them?! Anyone have advice on how to deal with that?

They are single handedly taking part in destroying the sport in my opinion, not that it needs any help in this matter.

I watched an Orcollo match not too long ago. Youtube has a 15 second fast forward button on my ipad. I was consistently hitting it three to four times as he came to the table for standard shots! Imagine the complicated shots.

I do not think any of this should even be acceptable. There should be some amount of time accepted by us all where players are essentially given ample time to come to and analyze the table, and shoot their damn shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
We could use some clarification here. The OP is asking how to deal with slow players. Is that someone who takes too long to shoot, or is that someone who plays a tighter, more strategic style of game? Is a "slow player" just anyone who ain't a GO-FER who might keep you from playing a game every 15 minutes?

Worst is when they go hand in hand -- which they often do -- that's why I conflated lol.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

They are single handedly taking part in destroying the sport in my opinion, not that it needs any help in this matter.

I watched an Orcollo match not too long ago. Youtube has a 15 second fast forward button on my ipad. I was consistently hitting it three to four times as he came to the table for standard shots! Imagine the complicated shots.

I do not think any of this should even be acceptable. There should be some amount of time accepted by us all where players are essentially given ample time to come to and analyze the table, and shoot their damn shot.

Personally I think Tony Chohan should demand a clock -- of course for himself also --if he is challenging Orcollo again. As for the viewers, it is clearly why Pat Fleming ALWAYS has a shot clock for Accustats recorded One Pocket matches. All the One Pocket streamers would benefit from having a shot clock (assuming they could get someone to reliably run it of course).

In fact, anyone streaming does not even have to reinvent the wheel -- Pat has been doing this for many years now, and there is hardly a top tier player who has not played with his shot clock method -- either at DCC or any of the other events Accustats has recorded over the last 10 years or so.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Just a quick story. Last night at 10 pm, I became engaged in a one pocket match, a race to 3 for $200. The pool room (Chris's in Chicago) closes at 3 am. Hence, there were five solid hours to play a race to 3 on a Diamond with regular 4 1/2 inch pockets which had recently been re-clothed.

Normally, I like a race to 4 but I was playing a notoriously slow player. He may play twice as slow as Dennis Orcollo. Tonight, I was feeling very patient. The first one pocket game took nearly 2 hours to play. I won that game 8 to 4. Remember when I said that I was feeling very patient? Well that went away somewhere in the second game when he really slooooowwwed down. It was 3 am when the match ended with the score tied at 2 games each. No winner except the "House."

Will I play him again? Yep! Why? Ever been married? :frus

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Ball WITH a Chain

Ball WITH a Chain

just a quick story. Last night at 10 pm, i became engaged in a one pocket match, a race to 3 for $200. The pool room (chris's in chicago) closes at 3 am. Hence, there were five solid hours to play a race to 3 on a diamond with regular 4 1/2 inch pockets which had recently been re-clothed.

Normally, i like a race to 4 but i was playing a notoriously slow player. He may play twice as slow as dennis orcollo. Tonight, i was feeling very patient. The first one pocket game took nearly 2 hours to play. I won that game 8 to 4. Remember when i said that i was feeling very patient? Well that went away somewhere in the second game when he really slooooowwwed down. It was 3 am when the match ended with the score tied at 2 games each. No winner except the "house."

will i play him again? Yep! Why? ever been married? :frus

:p.............................

keoneyo

Verified Member
Personally I think Tony Chohan should demand a clock -- of course for himself also --if he is challenging Orcollo again. As for the viewers, it is clearly why Pat Fleming ALWAYS has a shot clock for Accustats recorded One Pocket matches. All the One Pocket streamers would benefit from having a shot clock (assuming they could get someone to reliably run it of course).

In fact, anyone streaming does not even have to reinvent the wheel -- Pat has been doing this for many years now, and there is hardly a top tier player who has not played with his shot clock method -- either at DCC or any of the other events Accustats has recorded over the last 10 years or so.

There is a difference here. The player does not lose any money with Pat. They pay his way and house him. When youre gambling youre playing for your own money. I have been a regular donater to Pats events and I totally supported them. It is geared for DVD sales and audience streaming. If Im playing for my own dime and paying my own way I want to take as much time I need to WIN.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

I have always been in favor of a shot clock! It doesn't have to be real short or anything.

Heck if a guy can't figure out his shot while studying the table for a full minute, he probably isn''t going ot figure it out in 5 or 15...

Do 1 minute per shot with 3 extensions per game of an extra minute each. Would do wonders for people watching the streams for sure...

I would prefer it that way when I gambled or tourney play too but that's just me...

stedyfred

Verified Member
I view slow play as a player that takes a long time to shoot and agree with beatle ref these players (have the nuts and bet where u want it). As far as moving balls uptable and out of play with a sizable lead in a game, I consider this to be managing the game and playing the score rather than slow play. I may slow my own pace of play down a bit with the lead in an attempt to have my opponent make an error and end that rack.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ

I totally agree, I watch a lot of one pocket and it's tough to watch Orcollo. I would have no issue with the use of a shot clock.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I have always been in favor of a shot clock! It doesn't have to be real short or anything.

Heck if a guy can't figure out his shot while studying the table for a full minute, he probably isn''t going ot figure it out in 5 or 15...

Do 1 minute per shot with 3 extensions per game of an extra minute each. Would do wonders for people watching the streams for sure...

I would prefer it that way when I gambled or tourney play too but that's just me...

Ding, Ding, Ding!