Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghost vs. Steve 7 - the end game - wwyd?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I would play Cincy's shot all day. For those who like the 2-rail kick, where are the finishing positions of the two balls moved? I feel a makeable cross corner will be left. Jay

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Chandler1968 View Post
      I would play Cincy's shot all day. For those who like the 2-rail kick, where are the finishing positions of the two balls moved? I feel a makeable cross corner will be left. Jay
      I don’t know how it’s possible NOT to leave a bank shot with that two rail kick, your going to leave a bank on the 1 or 5.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Bob Jewett View Post
        Normally, I'd concede in this position, but if I was getting staked I'd play fullish on the left side of the 5 with left, drive the 1 ball half-ball into the 15 clearing them both from the end rail and then park the cue ball on the end rail after the left kills it on the side rail. It looks like the 5 probably won't come down far enough for a bank and should stay on my side.
        Which would look something like this. Whether this works depends on exactly how the 5-1 is sitting and you have to estimate the throw.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[403].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	401595
        Bob Jewett
        www.sfbilliards.com

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Bob Jewett View Post
          Which would look something like this. Whether this works depends on exactly how the 5-1 is sitting and you have to estimate the throw.

          [ATTACH]25312[/ATTACH]
          How in the world did you ever beat me in Texas. I know , you did not shoot any shots like this and you were not getting staked. You are moving all three balls with no pinpoint idea where the cue ball is going and almost certainly going to leave a bank shot to lose the game.
          JOHN HENDERSON
          Al Romero Cue
          Magic Chalk

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Bob Jewett View Post
            Which would look something like this. Whether this works depends on exactly how the 5-1 is sitting and you have to estimate the throw.
            When I looked at it I thought it looked as though the ball could be thrown enough to miss the 15. If that were the case, I'd love the shot.

            However, I've seen people have their ears burned by ignoring what Ghost said in the set-up, and he says you can't miss the 15. I think Ghost probably is somewhat aware of the concept of throw.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by jrhendy View Post
              How in the world did you ever beat me in Texas. I know , you did not shoot any shots like this and you were not getting staked. You are moving all three balls with no pinpoint idea where the cue ball is going and almost certainly going to leave a bank shot to lose the game.
              In Texas I got lucky.

              On that shot I think I have a pretty good chance to leave the cue ball as shown or at least within half a ball of the cushion. He can try the bank from there but it's going to be hard to get safe.

              I see it as getting two shootable balls on my side and leaving the cue ball stuck.

              I don't like the similar shot where I hit the 5 thinner to send the 1 just to the rail and also put the cue ball on the rail, lining the three balls up. If the speed is wrong there's a bank on the 1 ball.
              Bob Jewett
              www.sfbilliards.com

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by beatle View Post
                ive found for me anyway that the two rail kick out of the side is a great shot. but i personally need three or more balls to shoot it effectively..

                Well, as far as 2-rail-kicking out of the corner, I'm with beatle = I prefer to have a 3 or 4 ball lineup to kick at - just a two ball lineup is a bit too small of a target for my tastes...and Steve found that out the hard way - it cost him the game...

                He almost hit it good, but he missed the bottom ball (the 9) by a hair and very thinly clipped the top ball (the 5) instead, the cueball then rebounding off of the head rail causing him to sell out - it turned out like this >>>
                Attached Files
                Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 11-08-2019, 10:13 PM.
                jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Gee I wonder what the odds of that happening was?
                  Just goes to show , if shit can happen , it will !

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Brother Ghost,

                    If it was your shot from there, what would you have shot?

                    Im afraid I would also have tried the two rail kick, it’s the first shot I saw...

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Ghost vs. Steve 7 - the end game - wwyd?

                      Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
                      Brother Ghost,

                      If it was your shot from there, what would you have shot?

                      Im afraid I would also have tried the two rail kick, it’s the first shot I saw...


                      Jeff it’s nice to see your face in the place!! As always you class up the joint.
                      Mitch needs to remember to play the score and that it's better to win than to look like a hero.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
                        Brother Ghost,

                        If it was your shot from there, what would you have shot?

                        Im afraid I would also have tried the two rail kick, it’s the first shot I saw...
                        Hey champ, I hope you're doing ok.

                        Well for good reason, there's no shot that appeals to me here...but since we can't skip our inning and we have to shoot...

                        I don't like any of the shots that involve touching those two balls in tandem - hard or soft - too much chance of leaving a bank...

                        ...although any of the shots could go bad, leave a bank, etc...for me, and my skill set, I think this shot has the lowest amount of risk involved >>>

                        I'm a pretty accurate kicker, so I believe I would choose to shoot the shot that Kyb and onedog picked, and analyzed...the shot they posted up, as copied below...

                        Originally posted by Kybanks View Post
                        I am kicking at the 15 ball with medium speed. My percentages of catching the left side of the 15 ball are pretty good and dont have to sell out anything offensive for my opponent. There is no way that I am opening up the 2 balls on the spot from here.

                        Originally posted by unoperro View Post
                        I am 1 rail kicking the 15 at about the speed to lag 3 rails to the side pocket. If you hit it right whitey should stay on the good side of the 1 and 5.
                        - Ghost
                        jrhendy: Ghost does come up with shots that others don't see.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Jeff sparks View Post
                          Brother Ghost,

                          If it was your shot from there, what would you have shot?

                          Im afraid I would also have tried the two rail kick, it’s the first shot I saw...
                          Good to see you back in action!

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I am an extremely accurate kicker for my skill level, I would actually, rather spend time at kicking practice, and caroming than pocketing balls.
                            The first shot I considered was kicking the 15 , but for 200 a game , is it judicious to risk losing the game by shooting it
                            Even if you only take one intentional, and he gives it back to you , now you
                            still have the option for the kick, or the 2 rail out of the corner with 3 balls to play off of?
                            I would say that quite a few of the responders would say "yeah ' that's a better option for me with 3 there, which means they would have confidence in the shot and at least have a chance of hitting it well.
                            I liked this shot the best of all of them, except it is too hard for me to hit the 2 balls that accurately as well.
                            If I did shoot it, I would have played it thin which is probably what the actual shooter did, to end up with that result.
                            In my mind , it doesn't matter what level you play at , if you aren't willing to give your opponent a single ball , rather than take chances on losing the game, you will lose a lot of winnable games to inferior thinkers.
                            {I'd rather saw my thumbs off with my car keys}.
                            In my opinion the better mover should never shoot the kick at the 15, because it lets the inferior mover off the hook.
                            An inferior mover, can only flub up, if you put him in a jam, so if you are the thinking player , and in a jam here,
                            Then, how sick will the non thinker be, when you bunt the cueball over 6 inches and make it an even worse situation for him?
                            He may not even see the dangers and have a whack at it and give you the game right here, but if you shoot the 15 and let him off the hook , I consider it a huge unforced error.
                            If they are not an inferior mover, and do something worse to you that you didn't foresee , you just learned that right now , instead of 5 games from now.
                            I am not trying to upstage anyone or question their view of the game , I'm just trying to voice what goes on in my thought process and hopefully get feedback.
                            I always felt that even against someone who could spot me the 7 at nine ball, that if they can't force me to give them shots to get multiple balls , they can't win , no matter what the score is.
                            Simply because I have to make multiple mistakes, while they make 2 or 3 or 4. and I win
                            To me that's giving me 2 to 1 odds right out of the gate
                            All of this is less important when you are playing top players who run out from everywhere on any open shot, but they are still human and make mistakes too.
                            From the answers, only Dr Bill and I seem to think that he is in a really bad spot here.
                            Which really surprises me.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
                              I am an extremely accurate kicker for my skill level, I would actually, rather spend time at kicking practice, and caroming than pocketing balls.
                              The first shot I considered was kicking the 15 , but for 200 a game , is it judicious to risk losing the game by shooting it
                              Even if you only take one intentional, and he gives it back to you , now you
                              still have the option for the kick, or the 2 rail out of the corner with 3 balls to play off of?
                              I would say that quite a few of the responders would say "yeah ' that's a better option for me with 3 there, which means they would have confidence in the shot and at least have a chance of hitting it well.
                              I liked this shot the best of all of them, except it is too hard for me to hit the 2 balls that accurately as well.
                              If I did shoot it, I would have played it thin which is probably what the actual shooter did, to end up with that result.
                              In my mind , it doesn't matter what level you play at , if you aren't willing to give your opponent a single ball , rather than take chances on losing the game, you will lose a lot of winnable games to inferior thinkers.
                              {I'd rather saw my thumbs off with my car keys}.
                              In my opinion the better mover should never shoot the kick at the 15, because it lets the inferior mover off the hook.
                              An inferior mover, can only flub up, if you put him in a jam, so if you are the thinking player , and in a jam here,
                              Then, how sick will the non thinker be, when you bunt the cueball over 6 inches and make it an even worse situation for him?
                              He may not even see the dangers and have a whack at it and give you the game right here, but if you shoot the 15 and let him off the hook , I consider it a huge unforced error.
                              If they are not an inferior mover, and do something worse to you that you didn't foresee , you just learned that right now , instead of 5 games from now.
                              I am not trying to upstage anyone or question their view of the game , I'm just trying to voice what goes on in my thought process and hopefully get feedback.
                              I always felt that even against someone who could spot me the 7 at nine ball, that if they can't force me to give them shots to get multiple balls , they can't win , no matter what the score is.
                              Simply because I have to make multiple mistakes, while they make 2 or 3 or 4. and I win
                              To me that's giving me 2 to 1 odds right out of the gate
                              All of this is less important when you are playing top players who run out from everywhere on any open shot, but they are still human and make mistakes too.
                              From the answers, only Dr Bill and I seem to think that he is in a really bad spot here.
                              Which really surprises me.
                              That is hard for me to follow. So what’s your short answer?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Billy Jackets View Post
                                I am an extremely accurate kicker for my skill level, I would actually, rather spend time at kicking practice, and caroming than pocketing balls.
                                The first shot I considered was kicking the 15 , but for 200 a game , is it judicious to risk losing the game by shooting it
                                Even if you only take one intentional, and he gives it back to you , now you
                                still have the option for the kick, or the 2 rail out of the corner with 3 balls to play off of?
                                I would say that quite a few of the responders would say "yeah ' that's a better option for me with 3 there, which means they would have confidence in the shot and at least have a chance of hitting it well.
                                I liked this shot the best of all of them, except it is too hard for me to hit the 2 balls that accurately as well.
                                If I did shoot it, I would have played it thin which is probably what the actual shooter did, to end up with that result.
                                In my mind , it doesn't matter what level you play at , if you aren't willing to give your opponent a single ball , rather than take chances on losing the game, you will lose a lot of winnable games to inferior thinkers.
                                {I'd rather saw my thumbs off with my car keys}.
                                In my opinion the better mover should never shoot the kick at the 15, because it lets the inferior mover off the hook.
                                An inferior mover, can only flub up, if you put him in a jam, so if you are the thinking player , and in a jam here,
                                Then, how sick will the non thinker be, when you bunt the cueball over 6 inches and make it an even worse situation for him?
                                He may not even see the dangers and have a whack at it and give you the game right here, but if you shoot the 15 and let him off the hook , I consider it a huge unforced error.
                                If they are not an inferior mover, and do something worse to you that you didn't foresee , you just learned that right now , instead of 5 games from now.
                                I am not trying to upstage anyone or question their view of the game , I'm just trying to voice what goes on in my thought process and hopefully get feedback.
                                I always felt that even against someone who could spot me the 7 at nine ball, that if they can't force me to give them shots to get multiple balls , they can't win , no matter what the score is.
                                Simply because I have to make multiple mistakes, while they make 2 or 3 or 4. and I win
                                To me that's giving me 2 to 1 odds right out of the gate
                                All of this is less important when you are playing top players who run out from everywhere on any open shot, but they are still human and make mistakes too.
                                From the answers, only Dr Bill and I seem to think that he is in a really bad spot here.
                                Which really surprises me.
                                BJ,

                                I agree with you. As much as I would not like to go backwards, given enough thought to the situation and for a sizable bet, the smartest play is to push over along the top rail and hope he either does something stupid, or puts me back in the same place.

                                If he did put me back, there would now be 4 balls on the spot and I would shoot the 2 railer out of the corner, as I said back in #15 or #16. The only place I take some issue with your suggestion is I would not want to thin the top ball as you said. I would want to hit the line in the middle and push several balls to my side which also pushes the CB to his side up table.This gives me the best chance of winning this game, as you say.
                                Last edited by darmoose; 11-10-2019, 04:46 PM. Reason: add thought
                                The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X