wonder how much we're missing out on

beatle

Verified Member
whether it is or isnt you have to weigh that in when you make a bet. that is why it is best to bet with only a disinterested party then either of you can have the bad side so it evens out.

if you bet with someone involved then you may be dead money. big difference.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
whether it is or isnt you have to weigh that in when you make a bet. that is why it is best to bet with only a disinterested party then either of you can have the bad side so it evens out.

if you bet with someone involved then you may be dead money. big difference.

Even though I don't mind the occasional sweat bet, this is the main reason I dont like to bet on things that I dont have some sort of control over. I don't bet on sports or anything like that.

I prefer betting when I am one of the competitors (pool, ping pong, cards, etc.) so that if I lose, I know its because I was either out played or out matched (or both) but never because someone else is throwing it...at least I feel more in control that way.. ;)

beatle

Verified Member
when i used to bet the trotters which by the way always had fixed or had something going on except for the top races. i found ways to get in on the fix.

one of many ways was to get at the 50 dollar window just before post time and bet slow and lock it up with close to sure bets like show bets on a solid favorite just to get my money back. and when this guy i called the hawk came to another 50 window which there were only a few i would bet the same as him as he was betting for insiders, until post time and got shut out.

called him the hawk as he was huge and would spread out around the window so no one could see what he was doing except those inside. i would give one of the tellers a 20 or 50 for giving me his pick. i would mumble a number and the teller would say did you mean the 5 horse or whatever number the hawk was betting. i would say yes and press until the bell goes off.

of course i didnt always win but my horse always tried to win. cheap horses lose frequently even when they are going for it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I've no personal reason to suspect things aren't on the up and up so I wont suggest otherwise.

Anyone who didn't think Shane was a favorite has never noticed the difference between their breaks.

Make it big, soft pockets and 9-ball with the one on the spot and it would be a lot closer game. Or let Sally Johnson break for both of them and I'll bet on Dennis... and you can take that to the bank, because I must be due by now. :mad:

El Chapo

Verified Member
Even though I don't mind the occasional sweat bet, this is the main reason I dont like to bet on things that I dont have some sort of control over. I don't bet on sports or anything like that.

I prefer betting when I am one of the competitors (pool, ping pong, cards, etc.) so that if I lose, I know its because I was either out played or out matched (or both) but never because someone else is throwing it...at least I feel more in control that way.. ;)

Yeah. Betting on games, especially the ones with better players, it is always such a huge risk in pool.