One pocket players in Baltimore

1 HOLE NUT

Verified Member
From
Biloxi, Ms.
i know a guy

i know a guy

There is a tall guy name Paul plays real good up that way, maybe you heard of him.::heh:heh

El Chapo

Verified Member
I notice pool players are very secretive and i never quite got it. I really do not care either way but i do wonder what is the problem with giving up rooms and first names. Don't most good players welcome action?

The entire hustling undercover thing is such a farce. Nobody is undercover anymore. To make any money at all in pool you need to be playing local tournaments, and everyone plays so good all these would be champs have to play top speed to make their 75 dollars - green fee.

I am serious though, why are we so secretive? People act like to give up a bit of info is some golden ticket. In truth, all the info in the world would hardly be worth a dime. It does not matter. Surfers are very secretive for example about surf spots but that makes total, 100% sense.

I am not even sure if this thread was serious but my statements still are.

El Chapo

Verified Member
i usually find out where they are not.

The guy that walks in the middle of your second set and asks you to play is the one. He finds you because there aint two red cents to rub together for his skill otherwise. :heh

I remember toward the end when i was figuring out pool is a complete and utter bust. I met a good player in a large city and i decided I am gonna work backwards. Have him steer me and split everything with him. Guess what his answer was: "nobody will lose more than $20". I tried to talk him out of it, told him he was crazy. He held firm. I sorta went it on my own the next 6 months.... I learned the slow way, nobody would lose more than $20. Either that or they did not have more than $20 on them. A lot of you guys get this $3 an hour table time stuff which you have no idea how much that helps actually circulate money between players.

Last edited:

youngstown

Verified Member
One pocket players in Baltimore

He finds you because there aint two red cents to rub together for his skill otherwise. :heh
A lot of you guys get this $3 an hour table time stuff which you have no idea how much that helps actually circulate money between players.

Sorry, but I didn’t follow these statements. Curious what you meant by them.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
The guy that walks in the middle of your second set and asks you to play is the one. He finds you because there aint two red cents to rub together for his skill otherwise. :heh

I remember toward the end when i was figuring out pool is a complete and utter bust. I met a good player in a large city and i decided I am gonna work backwards. Have him steer me and split everything with him. Guess what his answer was: "nobody will lose more than $20". I tried to talk him out of it, told him he was crazy. He held firm. I sorta went it on my own the next 6 months.... I learned the slow way, nobody would lose more than $20. Either that or they did not have more than $20 on them. A lot of you guys get this $3 an hour table time stuff which you have no idea how much that helps actually circulate money between players.

I have a planned trip to Burbank in January during Derby. Yea I know, bad timing. Anyways I plan on going to Million Dollar Billiards and Hardtimes. If your in the area maybe we can play some. I’d also like to see my old friend Mexican Ron. I also might go to Santa Monica, I’ve never played Wayne.

beatle

Verified Member
some people can only get 20 dollar action. some get 200 dollar action and some even get thousands in action. it has to do with you, not what you are told. in every area there are big gamblers. they dont hang in the poolroom and play a stranger who starts asking for action.

the 20 dollar player does and shoots one or two barrels at you to see if you are bad and may go off. just as you do if you are smart. anyone that loses more than two games to a stranger is a sucker unless he knows he is sure to win.
or is setting him or the room up for a big score.

if that is the action you are getting your process is what is flawed. gambling is bigger than ever and for much higher stakes than ever. if you dont know how to make it work for you it is you that is having the problem. so rethink your procedures for making action for yourself when in a strange area for awhile.
and how you handle the players that do play you.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Sorry, but I didn’t follow these statements. Curious what you meant by them.

Just that gambling is such a different animal when you are paying 1.50 per hour each player vs 15-20 per hour.

I was saying the reason a very good player will find you when you come to town, even when you dodge the main spots and go to the bars for example, is because these guys can't get any good games for themselves otherwise.

Gambling is not viable in my opinion. You either have to be getting backed all the time, or have some serious skill the likes of a champion. When i say viable i mean actually making money. The more you win the more people will avoid you flat out, and if you lose... People gamble for fun, and that is essentially all it is, just a hobby of sorts. If people added everything up, expenses included, that would become clear, but not many players do that i am sure.

Here is an analogy for being a pool gambler who stays in the same location to see what I mean. Your job is to polish coffee cups that come out of production. You can polish 50 a day. Your boss does not like laziness so he tells you that you need to get better by 10 cups per day every week. Week two you are polishing 60, week three you get to 70. But, there is going to come a point where you simply cannot improve. At that point you are screwed. Really, how many pool players do you guys know that do not have a job or outside source of income and actually have money?

There is more too this though unfortunately. Have you guys ever noticed mono e mono interactions there is a lot of ego involved, say player to player. But when an individual is facing a corporation, there is no ego involved and in fact people are even shown happy to lose. Go compare a guy who loses a hundred and got a few bad rolls in a set to a guy who loses 10k at the track or in vegas. Guys lose in pool and there is so much ego involved you gotta put up with so much shit to win even a couple hundred.

El Chapo

Verified Member
some people can only get 20 dollar action. some get 200 dollar action and some even get thousands in action. it has to do with you, not what you are told. in every area there are big gamblers. they dont hang in the poolroom and play a stranger who starts asking for action.

the 20 dollar player does and shoots one or two barrels at you to see if you are bad and may go off. just as you do if you are smart. anyone that loses more than two games to a stranger is a sucker unless he knows he is sure to win.
or is setting him or the room up for a big score.

if that is the action you are getting your process is what is flawed. gambling is bigger than ever and for much higher stakes than ever. if you dont know how to make it work for you it is you that is having the problem. so rethink your procedures for making action for yourself when in a strange area for awhile.
and how you handle the players that do play you.

Like i was saying, i do not think anyone knows how to make pool gambling work for them. You would, necessarily in my opinion, have to improve every single day forever to make gambling actually work. If someone is getting backed every game that is viable, or a champion, or both.

Keep track of all expenses and i am betting even top gamblers are coming out breaking even or making about $2 per hour.

Gambling on pool is a hobby. It is not a viable way to make money. It is something to do for fun. I say that in start contrast to something like, hell i dont know, golf, where if you were a very good player i bet you could in fact viably work your way around and not have every guy who loses 100 practically want to knife you in the parking lot.

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
there are literally many thousands of people that make more than 100,000 a year just off gambling. and many over a million or more. i personally know one that has made a billion or close to it. not at pool by the way. but you referred to gambling and pool.
there are many pool players that make over a hundred thousand a year gambling other than tournaments. and very many that make over 10 or 20 thousand on the side. many in just one score.
you dont have to improve to win you have to make the right games and play the right people. that is an art for some, easy for others.
just because one can't doesnt mean others can't.

however you are right for most people sitting around in the poolroom.

El Chapo

Verified Member
there are literally many thousands of people that make more than 100,000 a year just off gambling. and many over a million or more. i personally know one that has made a billion or close to it. not at pool by the way. but you referred to gambling and pool.
there are many pool players that make over a hundred thousand a year gambling other than tournaments. and very many that make over 10 or 20 thousand on the side. many in just one score.
you dont have to improve to win you have to make the right games and play the right people. that is an art for some, easy for others.
just because one can't doesnt mean others can't.

however you are right for most people sitting around in the poolroom.

One year, but how about 10 years after expenses?

If you say it i am sure it is true, but again, if i am guessing a player coming out positive year after year is fudging and dumping games or on the other end of it. Not to mention it can only be done if being backed in large games in my estimation. So the backer is essentially just feeding or giving away money to the player to be in action.

That is just my opinion though: from my experience, a player cannot gamble day in and day out through the years and be in the positive in the long run all on the up and up, when considering expenses. I am sure one can in fact do it for a few years, but it is not viable long term.