ck VS rc -- 1

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
There is one shot which no one has mentioned. Coming off the seven and dropping down to the bottom rail. The 9 looks like a scratch from the looks of it and two rail kick on the 8? I dunno John, where’s the cue ball going with all that speed?

Way easier to scratch off the 7 than the 9.

Someone save this for the next prop-shot:lol

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
the 9, 7 and 8 all looked too scary for me to come off the side of it and get to side rail. You probably had a better chance to thin them and get to the bottom rail first.

actually, I guess you can set it up on a table and try it:

- 9 ball is on the spot
- CB is froze to the rail 2nd diamond

not saying it cant be done, but it was too close for me to try.

Let me know if anyone sets it up, thx!

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I would never shoot the 2 railer to kick the 8....too much risk, not enough reward. From my seat, it looks easy enough to come off the 11 and slide above the 9 towards the side rail. I like opening up my side, and I don't think he'll have any strong bank options, even if the cue ball doesn't get down to the bottom rail. If the cue ball hits the top of the 9, it will still slide over to the long rail and out of trouble.

youngstown

Verified Member
ck VS rc -- 1

Playing off the nine to go two rails behind the eight looks dangerous...something about it just looks like a scratch. All the other safes from this position seem kind of weak. I guess I kind a like jacking up and firing the 14 with enougj speed and enough draw to slide across the table into a safe position. It’s a free shot and I like the idea of being aggressive since there’s not a safe play I feel good about.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Im playing the 9 ball into the one ball pushing it toward my hole. using outside spin and laying the cueball on the bottom rail. K

Has anyone tried this shot? There is no scratch here!!!!

Try it , you'll like it. K

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Playing off the nine to go two rails behind the eight looks dangerous...something about it just looks like a scratch. All the other safes from this position seem kind of weak. I guess I kind a like jacking up and firing the 14 with enougj speed and enough draw to slide across the table into a safe position. It’s a free shot and I like the idea of being aggressive since there’s not a safe play I feel good about.

This is a standard practice shot that needs to be practiced. Forget about all the other balls, for practice put a ball on the spot and start with the cue ball at one corner and work your way to the other pocket. I usually just use two speeds, pocket speed and firm. You also need to practice full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 ball hits.

In this diagram a 1/2 ball hit to send the 9 into the 1 should have the cue ball going to the 1/4 diamond above the corner pocket. A 1/4 ball hit should be a scratch, real good speed gets a hook behind the 8. Send me a $100 for the lesson. lol.

youngstown

Verified Member
ck VS rc -- 1

This is a standard practice shot that needs to be practiced. Forget about all the other balls, for practice put a ball on the spot and start with the cue ball at one corner and work your way to the other pocket. I usually just use two speeds, pocket speed and firm. You also need to practice full, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 ball hits.

In this diagram a 1/2 ball hit to send the 9 into the 1 should have the cue ball going to the 1/4 diamond above the corner pocket. A 1/4 ball hit should be a scratch, real good speed gets a hook behind the 8. Send me a $100 for the lesson. lol.

On new and clean felt or on my home table I like the shot but on the worn dirty felt at the pool hall I don’t like it one bit

youngstown

Verified Member
ck VS rc -- 1

Wow I didn’t realize the 9 was on the spot. I thought it was much lower. Disregard.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Im playing the 9 ball into the one ball pushing it toward my hole. using outside spin and laying the cueball on the bottom rail. K

Has anyone tried this shot? There is no scratch here!!!!

Try it , you'll like it. K

keith
when the cue ball is so close to the rail
and i am shooting at the treetops of the ball
i try to not use spin and live with the cue ball path
for me adding spin with the cue ball so close to the rail makes the cue ball travel squirrely for me
hitting the 9 in a way to get to the foot rail will still send it towards the one
without english
jmho
icbw
your thoughts?

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
keith
when the cue ball is so close to the rail
and i am shooting at the treetops of the ball
i try to not use spin and live with the cue ball path
for me adding spin with the cue ball so close to the rail makes the cue ball travel squirrely for me
hitting the 9 in a way to get to the foot rail will still send it towards the one
without english
jmho
icbw
your thoughts?

Practice hitting it with spin until you can accurately make it!!!! If you are squirting the cue ball adjust your aim. K

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
I like using outside, the spin kills the cueball of the side rail allowing me to hit the shot a bit firmer. It also sends the cueball into the bottom rail on a flatter angle allowing me to hold it very low on the table as opposed to having it come off the bottom railing back up the table. But there's no single way to play it, just depends on where you want the cueball to end up. K

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If I can't get to the bottom rail off the nine 1 combo I would use a half ball hit on the 7 and go down there, I don't like the shot , but I'm not shooting a shot that might cost me the game .
He has no real great shots at his pocket , even if he comes off the balls and freezes me on the 14 or the back of another ball , so all i have to do is thin it and go up to the head rail and hes still got problems with those 3 near my hole

Last edited:

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I guess I kind a like jacking up and firing the 14 with enougj speed and enough draw to slide across the table into a safe position. It’s a free shot and I like the idea of being aggressive since there’s not a safe play I feel good about.

I am with Mark here....jack up and fire the 14.

baby huey

Verified Member
I like John Henderson's two rail kick into the eight ball. Lots of good stuff could happen here. Now I know why T-Rex plays so well. He stole many a shot off San Gabriel John.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I’m at CK’s in Dallas. POS GC3 with fairly large pockets. I played the combo 13 times. Made it twice, scratched three times. The shot needs to be over cut or hit firm to not scratch.

Side note: I met Lou Sardo of Sardo tight rack. Nice guy. We played some 9ball and talked about some of the guys from SoCal and John Schmidt.

Pool rooms in Dallas suck:mad: