No announcement yet.

forum upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For some reason my post at 2 AM did not come through but it looks like we are using the latest platform now, upgrade completed successfully!

It cant use our old styles it is not compatible with the new code so for now this is the default look and feel. We can change it to whatever we want moving forward. I think maybe getting a new theme would be cool but I need to look into it more...

I also need to fix the header stuff to get our logo and menu items working again. Still lots to do but we are at least back online and operational!

Comment

Originally posted by youngstownkid View Post
      forum upgrade

Cool. Thanks. Any cool new features coming?
      Not sure to be honest. Basically we went from version 3.8.7 to the latest 5.5.5 so there should be a lot of cool things added or bugs fixed, functionality added, etc.

Here is the list of forum features it says it has:
      Forums

• Unlimited Hierarchy of Forums
      • Private Forums
      Threads

• Thread and forum subscription (notification by email optional)
      • Admin tools: edit, delete, move, lock, make sticky, etc.
      • Email page to friend option
      • Supports BB Code in posts
      • Supports HTML in post
      • Smilies
      • WYSIWYG or standard editors for posts and Private Messages
      • Attachment images (.gif, .jpg., etc.) stored on filesystem (optional, via Admin CP)
      • Preview post option
      • Polls
      • Post Reporting - report posts to moderators
      • User post count
      • Admin tools: edit, delete, move, etc.
      • Preview-safe Attachments
      Member Features

• Member Profile Pages (updated in 4.0). This information can be viewed by other members from the member list. Custom user title, URL home page, date of birth, instant messaging medium, location, occupation, biography, interests, vB version, plus any other custom user fields that may be defined by the administrator.
      • Allows members to upload pictures that can be viewed in the user's profile.
      • Private Messaging
      • Friends List
      • Member Birthdays shown on Forum home
      • Who's Online
      • Signature Editor

• Custom Avatars - upload from own computer or specify a URL
      Private Messaging

• Private Message Tracking
      • Private Message filling in custom folders
      Privacy & Permissions

• Permission system, based on user, usergroup or forums
      • Private Forums
      General

• Email and password changes require current password
      Users & Usergroups

• User registration options
      • User banning (by name & IP)
      • Global Ignore User - When enabled, all posts by the specified user will be ignored/unseen by other members. Automatically added to all users ignore lists.
      • Unlimited Moderators and SuperModerators
      • Permission system, based on user, usergroup or forums
      User Options

• These include Daylight Savings options, forum style chooser, selection of notification types for PM, emails etc., thread display options, WYSIWYG editor options, and language chooser
      Admin & Board Maintenance

• Task Scheduler
      • Control Panel, Moderator & Task Logs
      • Post Pruning
      Moderation

• Moderation queues for user registration and posting
      Attachments

• Attachment thumbnails (requires PHP to have GD enabled)
      • Storage type options for attachments (database or file system)
      Styling & Templates

• Powerful Templating System
      • Conditionals supported in the templates
      • Ability to create multiple styles which can be applied to different forums and users
      Template Engine and Layouts

• Proprietary template engine
      • Template/Skins
      • Full CSS layout and design
      • Sitewide templates: you can create an entire site using a default set of templates
      • Powerful, fast and suitable for robust development
      • Add-ons and Plug-ins
      • Easily extensible through a plug-in architecture and variety of accessible plug-ins
      Language & Phrase Management

• Phrase Manager
      Help and FAQ

• Context sensitive help throughout the adminCP

Comment

Looks like you have hit a new level for sure!
        "One Pocket, it's an epidemic and there ain't no cure."
        -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Looks good, may take a while to get used to the new features.....
          Chris P.

Comment

Still trying to figure out how to get the last post up on a thread instead of the first to start.

Comment

I changed it from the default style to this theme that's just called "dark" which seems ok for now while we look around.

Comment

Originally posted by keoneyo View Post
                Still trying to figure out how to get the last post up on a thread instead of the first to start.
                There seems to be a new tab for "latest activity" -- when I clicked that it put the most recent first
                -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by NH Steve View Post

There seems to be a new tab for "latest activity" -- when I clicked that it put the most recent first
                  There is one new tab for "Posts" and another new tab right next to it for "Latest Activity". It looks like to me that the default for the upgrade is oldest first, whereas before members who were logged in got most recent first -- based on the assumption that they had already read the older posts. Unregistered lurkers were always seeing the oldest first because that was the default for them. I think it is something Chris or I can "fix" but I'm not touching anything until Chris is finished his own tweaks with the conversion.

Who knew it would be this different!
                  -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

PS I wonder what happened to our avatars? I see mine when I go to my profile, but it doesn't seem to be appearing with my posts -- or anyone else except cincy's
                    -- Strawberry Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by cincy_kid View Post
                      I changed it from the default style to this theme that's just called "dark" which seems ok for now while we look around.
                      I like this "Dark" theme.
                      Dan

Comment

Cincy_kid, Howdy;

Kinda like what ya done to the place. Nothin' frivolous or extravagant. Sorta bare bones but betta.
                        Had me worried when I checked it early this morning but ya pulled it off without killin' it. Well done.
                        Thanks for the work it took to get it right the first time.

hank
                        Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...

Comment

CK,

Appreciate your talent and willingness to maintain this site. I find these changes to dark for my old eyes. I don't see that it is readily apparent when first looking at the forum that I can tell what threads have new posts. I am not likeg too much the emoji changes, nor the preview button and what to do after the preview to get back to posting if one doesn't like the preview. Sorry, but I liked it lighter and brighter, and can't call this an unquestioned improvement. Maybe I'll get used to ti eventually.

If we ever take a vote, I would go lighter and brighter.

JMHO
                          Last edited by darmoose; 12-02-2019, 09:21 PM.
                          The early bird may get the worm...but the second mouse gets the cheese...Shutin@urholeisOVERATED.

Comment

I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I don't like this upgrade. It's ugly, confusing and it's difficult to navigate. I suppose a person can get used to anything, but right know it's a pain in the neck. Perhaps when the wrinkles are ironed out it'll be better. I'm not sure why it had to be changed.

~Doc

Comment

If you guys don't like the dark format, select the menu at the bottom left (red circle in first pic) and choose Default vB5 Style. Looks like the second pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Dark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	428455
                              Attached Files
                              Skin

"It's easy!" - Coach Acosta, former Mexican pro, instructing his 10 y/o little leaguers

Comment

Originally posted by gulfportdoc View Post
                                I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I don't like this upgrade. It's ugly, confusing and it's difficult to navigate. I suppose a person can get used to anything, but right know it's a pain in the neck. Perhaps when the wrinkles are ironed out it'll be better. I'm not sure why it had to be changed.

~Doc
                                Originally posted by darmoose View Post
                                CK,

Appreciate your talent and willingness to maintain this site. I find these changes to dark for my old eyes. I don't see that it is readily apparent when first looking at the forum that I can tell what threads have new posts. I am not liking too much the emoji changes, nor the preview button and what to do after the preview to get back to posting if one doesn't like the preview. Sorry, but I liked it lighter and brighter, and can't call this an unquestioned improvement.

If we ever take a vote, I would go lighter and brighter.

JMHO
                                I agree 100%, and I would give 10-1 odds that many other long time members feel the same, but are too polite to say so. Sorry.

Old School

Comment

Working...
                                X