forum upgrade

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I changed it from the default style to this theme that's just called "dark" which seems ok for now while we look around.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
There seems to be a new tab for "latest activity" -- when I clicked that it put the most recent first

There is one new tab for "Posts" and another new tab right next to it for "Latest Activity". It looks like to me that the default for the upgrade is oldest first, whereas before members who were logged in got most recent first -- based on the assumption that they had already read the older posts. Unregistered lurkers were always seeing the oldest first because that was the default for them. I think it is something Chris or I can "fix" but I'm not touching anything until Chris is finished his own tweaks with the conversion.

Who knew it would be this different!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
PS I wonder what happened to our avatars? I see mine when I go to my profile, but it doesn't seem to be appearing with my posts -- or anyone else except cincy's

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Cincy_kid, Howdy;

Kinda like what ya done to the place. Nothin' frivolous or extravagant. Sorta bare bones but betta.
Had me worried when I checked it early this morning but ya pulled it off without killin' it. Well done.
Thanks for the work it took to get it right the first time.

hank

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
CK,

Appreciate your talent and willingness to maintain this site. I find these changes to dark for my old eyes. I don't see that it is readily apparent when first looking at the forum that I can tell what threads have new posts. I am not likeg too much the emoji changes, nor the preview button and what to do after the preview to get back to posting if one doesn't like the preview. Sorry, but I liked it lighter and brighter, and can't call this an unquestioned improvement. Maybe I'll get used to ti eventually.

If we ever take a vote, I would go lighter and brighter.:sorry

JMHO

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I don't like this upgrade. It's ugly, confusing and it's difficult to navigate. I suppose a person can get used to anything, but right know it's a pain in the neck. Perhaps when the wrinkles are ironed out it'll be better. I'm not sure why it had to be changed.

~Doc

Skin

Verified Member
If you guys don't like the dark format, select the menu at the bottom left (red circle in first pic) and choose Default vB5 Style. Looks like the second pic.

Dark.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Dark.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	428455

Attachments

• Default vB5.jpg
    Default vB5.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0

OldSchool

Verified Member
I hate to be a negative Nellie, but I don't like this upgrade. It's ugly, confusing and it's difficult to navigate. I suppose a person can get used to anything, but right know it's a pain in the neck. Perhaps when the wrinkles are ironed out it'll be better. I'm not sure why it had to be changed.

~Doc

CK,

Appreciate your talent and willingness to maintain this site. I find these changes to dark for my old eyes. I don't see that it is readily apparent when first looking at the forum that I can tell what threads have new posts. I am not liking too much the emoji changes, nor the preview button and what to do after the preview to get back to posting if one doesn't like the preview. Sorry, but I liked it lighter and brighter, and can't call this an unquestioned improvement.

If we ever take a vote, I would go lighter and brighter.:sorry

JMHO

I agree 100%, and I would give 10-1 odds that many other long time members feel the same, but are too polite to say so. Sorry.

Old School

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
This is awful. I’m a computer idiot. I barely understand email. If it wasn’t for favorites, oh dear. Can you call me and tell how to delete, change the background, etc?

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I went to the page where you edit your personal information. The test question What is the Fourth letter of the word ONEPOCKET? One Pocket is two words, there is no such word as onepocket. Thanks for the upgrade. I’m glad we have someone like you.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I found something that may be useful. If you don’t like the dark screen, find where the dialog box says dark, click, go to default. Now how do I put up my uggelee mug?

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
OK, is there a way to lock onto seeing the latest posts first, so I don't have to flip the format every time I get on a thread?:frus

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I do not see that the caledar is populated, but really I'm testing how to post pictures since there is no longer that CP User tab. So here goes, I'm going click on the camera button on top left and try to upload several different sized pictures...I tried to load a 133kb and got an error. I'll try another...the last one was 56kb and got the same database error. Any one else having any luck w/ pictures? OK, so it looks like if picture were saved previously, they can be uploaded.

My last test would be inserting the link if I knew how to get to it, sorry. HELP! How do we do a new WWYD without knowing how to add pics?

Attachments

• photo22788.jpg
    photo22788.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 0

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
For the people asking about showing the latest posts first:

You can make this the default by going into your options

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I just logged in for the first time from my phone and I must say this is a big improvement. Not so much from my laptop, that will take some getting used to.

I'm now going to try to upload a picture from my phone...nope, got the same database er

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cindy
thanks for your hard work
if it’s possible to change the background and letter colors to something more soothing like the blue with black letters for me it would be easier to read the posts.
what do other members think?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
One last thing I tested, we are now able to reply to posts in the Journals forum. Maybe this feature should be turned off if possible. I thought that was the point of that section

Good night.

It looks like a picture could be selected using the picture icon from the toolbar under the text modification stuff, not the camera icon at top left. I will try this from my laptop sometime tomorrow.

Couple of Jimmys.jpg