forum upgrade

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
LOL, well I had this post typed up, saved it and realized I was logged in as another account!

The short version is, dont ever worry about hurting my feelings about design, the site or anything. I am not a designer. However, I do have almost 30 years of web development / computer programming experience and plus I have thick skin, so I love feedback. :)

Steve had been asking me to do this for sometime and my lack of time has prevented me form doing it until this Thanksgiving break. There are tons of reasons to upgrade like features, compatibility, security and more. You would have to go read all the docs to find out more details. but like all software, it gets updated to be better.

The dark theme was by no means permanent, just something I selected when setting it up. See its already changed this morning! :) And like Sheldon pointed out, if you dont like the colors or theme that is currently being displayed, just customize your own to however you like, which is another cool feature of the software!

Looking into the picture posting / journals replies, etc... Let us know here if you see anything else so we can try to improve it as we go!

Thanks all!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Please tell me the settings for that dark theme. Or make it an option.
This Blue and Default hurts my eyes.

There ya go man, I enabled all the styles in the control panel so that users can choose any of them anytime they want.

You can either change the them at the bottom of the page on the left (dropdown) or in your profile when you go to edit your options.

The theme is just called DARK that was up before.

There's even one called OLD SCHOOL! :)

Enjoy ~

PS - on a side note, if you choose any theme besides the few we have tried (Dark, Cool Blue and Default), its going to show the VBulletin logo instead of onepocket.org until I swap them all out, which I will eventually!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
OK, trying to test posting a pic from my laptop using the picture icon button that is located with the bunch of font buttons, NOT the camera button located at top left. Here goes... well, still not working on the laptop, but did work on my phone uploading a pic from the phone.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
LOL, well I had this post typed up, saved it and realized I was logged in as another account!

The short version is, dont ever worry about hurting my feelings about design, the site or anything. I am not a designer. However, I do have almost 30 years of web development / computer programming experience and plus I have thick skin, so I love feedback. :)

Steve had been asking me to do this for sometime and my lack of time has prevented me form doing it until this Thanksgiving break. There are tons of reasons to upgrade like features, compatibility, security and more. You would have to go read all the docs to find out more details. but like all software, it gets updated to be better.

The dark theme was by no means permanent, just something I selected when setting it up. See its already changed this morning! :) And like Sheldon pointed out, if you dont like the colors or theme that is currently being displayed, just customize your own to however you like, which is another cool feature of the software!

Looking into the picture posting / journals replies, etc... Let us know here if you see anything else so we can try to improve it as we go!

Thanks all!

Thanks, I set my browser zoom on 110 and set the look to Denim down there at bottom left, and it improved things for me quite a bit.. I'm leaving it that way for now..

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks, I set my browser zoom on 110 and set the look to Denim down there at bottom left, and it improved things for me quite a bit.. I'm leaving it that way for now..
The denim makes everything stand out a little bit. The problem with the order of the dates in the posts is that if you change it to the most recent first, you have to scroll down to where you've already read. If you change it to the oldest first, then you have to go back and navigate forward, sometimes several pages to get current. Seems like the pages used to be the oldest first, but only on that page. Can't recall. Oh well...

beatle

Verified Member
this sucks for me.
print is too small.
the place to click to open post has a tiny arrow i can barely find with my mouse
at the top to go to the page i want i have to erase the current number and in a tiny box type in the page i want to go to or scroll thru all the individual pages first.
the opening header is too large a pic you have to scroll down a whole page to start things.
then its a whole page of stickies to get to the fisrt thread in the list.
the avatars are way too large.

beatle

Verified Member
someone pm me when it gets user friendly again please

oh wait there isnt a place for that .
and nothing that says im logged in or not
or even how to log in.
but its nice to see an upgrade.
kind of when someone puts ice in your red wine to chill it for you.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
someone pm me when it gets user friendly again please

oh wait there isnt a place for that .
and nothing that says im logged in or not
or even how to log in.
but its nice to see an upgrade.
kind of when someone puts ice in your red wine to chill it for you.

Beat, I just tried to send you a private message, please let me know if it's received.

beatle

Verified Member
i use firefox. there is nothing on any of the pages related to pm.or login. just a giant pic of one pocket on the first page

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Cincy, Howdy;

An interesting thing was mentioned by Whitey, It seems that a few of the Links from the old Header are missing
like the link to the Rules and for those just starting out, the basics I guess you might refer to them as ...
Just something to add to the pile while you're busy trying to drain the swamp while up to yer butt in 'gators.

hank

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Yes, I think the print needs to be larger - and as an old sign painter I immediately noticed that the pale blue type does not show up well on the gray background. Not enough contrast. The gray background is just a bad choice. Even the black type suffers on it. Nothing goes good on gray - it's neither dark nor light. Also, are we now using Eastern time on the posts, rather than the former practice? It's 10:10 in Baton Rouge, but three posts in this thread are dated later than that. Thanks for your attention and your efforts for us.

beatle

Verified Member
It does on my phone but on the phone I have to scroll down to find the link for the forums. I guess I am not good at guessing how to work things with little signs and arrows and symbols.
on my computer it's a lot more time consuming just to read the posts. And print on both are tiny. If I expand it then it doesn't fit the screen.
just not fun now .

OldSchool

Verified Member
this sucks for me.
print is too small.

the place to click to open post has a tiny arrow i can barely find with my mouse
at the top to go to the page i want i have to erase the current number and in a tiny box type in the page i want to go to or scroll thru all the individual pages first.
the opening header is too large a pic you have to scroll down a whole page to start things.
then its a whole page of stickies to get to the fisrt thread in the list.
the avatars are way too large.

Yes, the print needs to be larger - and as an old sign painter I immediately noticed that the pale blue type does not show up well on the gray background. Not
enough contrast. The gray background is just a bad choice. Even the black type suffers on it. Nothing goes good on gray - it's neither dark nor light. Also, are we now using Eastern time on the posts, rather than the former practice? It's 10:10 in Baton Rouge, but three posts in this thread are dated later than that. Thanks for your attention and your efforts for us.

Again, I agree with beatle and vapros. I can understand wanting to add bells and whistles to the site, but this small type doesn't add anything, it subtracts. What is the reason for it? Like beatle, vapros, and myself, many of the core, long time members here are in their 60's, 70's, and 80's and this small type is very hard on our eyes. I've honestly started getting a headache reading the posts, and regrettably may have to choose not to, after 11 years on the site. Please remedy this.

Old School